Lamy Vs Pilot Nib Question

restlesscourage

Hi there,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Pilot Vanishing Point. I've done a fair bit of research already, but have a couple of questions about the nibs. Specifically, about their springiness/flexibility and general smoothness.

The two pens I use on a fairly routine basis that I'd like to compare it to are a Lamy Studio with a steel EF nib, and a vintage (circa 1960s, I think) Parker 45 with a 14k gold F nib. Both the Lamy and the Parker nibs are fairly firm, and reasonably smooth. If I write with a heavy hand, I can get a tiny bit of line variation (particularly with the Parker, but even the Lamy will yield a bit).

I'm hoping to find a pen that writes even finer than the Lamy EF, so I'm thinking of an EF Pilot VP. I know the best test would be to go and do a test drive in person, but there's not really a good place to do that near me.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether anyone can give me a side-by-side comparison of an EF Lamy and an EF VP showing not only line width with a relatively light hand, but what sort of line variation happens with a bit of pressure. Also, if anyone can comment on the smoothness of the EF VP vs the EF Lamy out of the box, that would be nice, too. Failing that, any comments or pictures specific to how the EF VP writes would be appreciated as well - I'm finding a lot of reviews for the F and M nibs, but not many for the EF. (I don't mind a pen with a bit of tooth/feedback; lately I've been using Clairefontaine Triomphe pads for letters, a Midori A5 notebook for creative writing, and Banditapple Carnet pocket notebooks for the traveler's notebook that lives in my back pocket, to give you an idea of the sorts of papers I typically work with.)

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolverine1

• restlesscourage

• FoszFay

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own either, but I wouldn't say any of the pens you listed produce ''significant'' line variation. If you want a fine nib, that offers some variation, look at the 'Pilot Falcon 'SEF', as well as Pilot's 'FA' nib.

The VP 'extra-fine' appears to be a fair amount finer than the Studio's. Here is a comparison, I also put in the Platinum 3776 'UEF':

fpn_1420979447__capture1.png

Taken from http://www.gouletpens.com/nib-nook ;)

Tom.