• RMN

• domnortheast

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Um..... you like corn?

Or webs?

Yeah, probably webs

No.

Look it up and you will see the pertinence - and the female of the species is more apposite than the male! (ack. Hilaire Belloc)

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Hehe, I did get your reference - the advatar is a give away too!

I was trying to be comically obtuse...

So you are married to a pen?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

So you are married to a pen?

D.ick

I'm afraid rather more than one...

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

So it ended up that the original pen was already spoken for. Someone beat me to it.

Still, not to worry - it seems Barry must be letting them breed as he had another lined up for me.

I'm not going to go into details, as I wouldn't want to announce on a forum exactly what's happened, but I did feel it was worth posting back here to testify to the level of service offered at writetime - simply unbelievable...

This pen turned out to be a fantastic buy. I love it so, so much. The condition is unbelievble, so I thought I'd put some pics up:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/nightshade1814/IMG_20150115_211427_571_zpsx8xh7h6l.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/nightshade1814/IMG_20150115_211700_240_zpsma0wbs3o.jpg

Love the colours on that CS, Stu.

What's the nib like?

Enjoy that beauty

D.ick

~

~

The nib is awesome. It's marked 1A - not entirely sure what that translates to.

The line runs about a western medium and it has something I can't quite describe properly. It'll flex a little bit if asked, but if you ignore it and write normally, it does wonderful things to my writing. The ends of upstrokes and tails of letters thin out just so, and the lines thicken up just where they need to.

I've never used a modern nib that feels quite like it. I'm totally smitten :blush:

Guys, over the past couple of days I've noticed that the section of my CS15 will wiggle a little bit. Just a touch - sometimes as I pick the pen up I can feel it move slightly from the gentle pressure of my grip (don't get me wrong, I don't hold my pen like a gorilla, but grip it just so, as you would any pen)

Does this matter at all? I mean, I presume it isn't likely to fall out and it just feels a bit odd. I know that any pen is made from several different parts, but in my head it's just one item. It feels kind of odd to feel one piece move against the other, even if it is only very, very slight....

Guys, over the past couple of days I've noticed that the section of my CS15 will wiggle a little bit. Just a touch - sometimes as I pick the pen up I can feel it move slightly from the gentle pressure of my grip (don't get me wrong, I don't hold my pen like a gorilla, but grip it just so, as you would any pen)

Does this matter at all? I mean, I presume it isn't likely to fall out and it just feels a bit odd. I know that any pen is made from several different parts, but in my head it's just one item. It feels kind of odd to feel one piece move against the other, even if it is only very, very slight....

If the section is slightly loose in the barrel this is easily fixed: a thin coating of shellac on the section is usually enough to tighten it up; wait until it sets and don't over do it - unless of course you want a cracked barrel!

Cob

But will leaving it matter?

I'm not confident to start taking it apart!

Nope. So long as it's not loose enough to drop out of the barrel. The cap screws onto the threads on the barrel so the chances of the section getting stuck in the cap while taking the cap off are negligible.

If it gets looser than you like though it's no biggie to do what Cob suggests, make sure the pen is empty of ink and just gently slide the section out of the barrel with a little bit of a twisting motion rather than rocking it.

Check the sack looks good, maybe pop a bit of fresh talc on it if it's not got any on and brush a thin, even layer of shellac over the section where it mates with the barrel and let it dry well, overnight is good, then reassemble. Job done.

What I would do, and you probably have done, is take a strong light and a magnifying glass and check for cracks in the barrel lip.

D.ick

~

~

"Of course I've done that", he says, hastily sliding the loupe out of view and looking innocent :)

Yup, barrel is crack free, which I guess is good. Funny how many imperfections you can see under magnification...

What I would do, and you probably have done, is take a strong light and a magnifying glass and check for cracks in the barrel lip.

D.ick

Whoops! I should have mentioned that one. Quite so and often very difficult to see. I have a lovely 1930s Swan Leverless that has an almost impossible-to see crack, though the section is still tight. One day I'll cough up and have it fixed - it's a lathe job of course. It's the pen on the left in the snap.

Cob

post-117400-0-73535700-1421873728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cob

"Of course I've done that", he says, hastily sliding the loupe out of view and looking innocent :)

Yup, barrel is crack free, which I guess is good. Funny how many imperfections you can see under magnification...

Horrid isn't it? Every time I put up a pen for sale and the macro pics appear and having declared with a straight face that the pen is scratch-free and so on, what do I see?

You guessed it.

But of course in real life one never notices - or even sees these things; better hopefully to write with the damn thing and give it a little polish from time to time.

Cob

Hehe, my 15 is doing plenty of writing. Possibly too much, because I tend to find excuses to write and doodle, when I should be working or studying. I can justify a little of my job to require ink meeting paper but not much. Heck, even my qualification has just gone all digital.

Still the wobble irritates me. I might ask the seller if they'd be willing to sure it up, as I'm reluctant to start buying shellac and pulling the thing apart. That's a scary boundary that I haven't crossed yet.

They can only say no!

Edited by Stu L