Possible To Mount Dip Pen Nibs On A Pen Barrel?

ptrcao

Is it possible to mount dip pen nibs on a barrel, thus adapting such nibs intended for dip pens to fountain pens? By barrel I mean it carries ink, as in fountain pens. If yes please tell me barrel models and where I can get them at what cost. This is a general question for all dip pen nibs, but if you must answer it in terms of specific nibs, then these are the ones I have:

Brause L'ecoliere Nib
Brause 66EF
Brause Rose Nib
Vintage Gillott 404
Gillott 404 Nib
Leonardt Copying Nib DP33
Hunt 108
Incidentally they are all flexible dip nibs.
The reason for the question is
  1. dip pens are not portable
  2. writing and thought train is interrupted constantly by needing to re-dip pen
  3. I cannot cheaply acquire flex nibbed fountain pens - there is no such thing in modernity and vintage pens are too difficult to acquire and replace reliably, not to mention expensive
Edited by ptrcao

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ptrcao

• Inky Fingers

• ac12

• sidthecat

Noodler's produced the Ahab fountain pen for the purpose of using dip pen nibs. I have experimented with dip pen nibs adapted for fountain pens with a modicum of success. Uncoated steel nibs can cause a problem with corrosion after a short period of time though.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

You might find this video relevant. It shows Nathan Tardif heat-molding feeds from his Noodler's fountain pens to work with dip pen nibs.

Noodler's produced the Ahab fountain pen for the purpose of using dip pen nibs. I have experimented with dip pen nibs adapted for fountain pens with a modicum of success. Uncoated steel nibs can cause a problem with corrosion after a short period of time though.

You might find this video relevant. It shows Nathan Tardif heat-molding feeds from his Noodler's fountain pens to work with dip pen nibs.

Thank you for the suggestion. It is not a bad suggestion because it's plausible and actually it had already occurred to me, but it's just that I happen to own a few Ahabs and they are the worst build of pen I have ever seen. They leak, they discolour and they smell. I will try it, but I remain especially open to other possibilities if you can think of any. Thanks!

3 items:

1 - As has been mentioned, most dip pen nibs are uncoated steel, which WILL rust. And all the nibs you listed are in this category.

2 - There are a few chrome plated nibs, such as the Nikko G and similar. However, when you cut/grind them to make them fit a FP, you have penetrated the chrome plating, and that is where the rusting will start.

3 - There is only one stainless steel dip pen nib that I know of, and it is a vintage nib. IOW only on the used market, and you have to SEARCH for it. And I do not know how that nib writes, or if it can be used in any FP.

I have seen a post of people putting a Nikko G nib into a TWSBI. But see #2 above.

To your points:

#1 - Actually dip pens ARE portable. I took a dip pen with me on vacation.

You just need to get an inkwell (or small jar) that seals well.

#2 - I find that the dipping is part of the experience, and once you get used to it, it does not interrupt anything. I write some of my pen pal letters with a dip pen, and also write in my journal with a dip pen.

If however, you want to write fast and not stop, then a dip pen is NOT the tool.

#3 - This is exactly why I use dip pens.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to mount dip pen nibs on a barrel, thus adapting such nibs intended for dip pens to fountain pens? By barrel I mean it carries ink, as in fountain pens. If yes please tell me barrel models and where I can get them at what cost. This is a general question for all dip pen nibs, but if you must answer it in terms of specific nibs, then these are the ones I have:

Brause L'ecoliere Nib
Brause 66EF
Brause Rose Nib
Vintage Gillott 404
Gillott 404 Nib
Leonardt Copying Nib DP33
Hunt 108
Incidentally they are all flexible dip nibs.
The reason for the question is
  1. dip pens are not portable
  2. writing and thought train is interrupted constantly by needing to re-dip pen
  3. I cannot cheaply acquire flex nibbed fountain pens - there is no such thing in modernity and vintage pens are too difficult to acquire and replace reliably, not to mention expensive

HI Ptrcao,

It is possible to fit these nibs in a FP.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/282426-rangas-mr-kandan-does-it-again/

After I wrote that post, I used the pens with a Vintage Gillot 404 too and it works. But it needs a fair amount of tinkering with heat setting the feeds and getting the feed to nib placement just right.

The chrome plated G nibs last much longer. I have had one in a pen for about 2 months now and it is still alright. But I don't write too much with the pen.

The other nibs are not coated and they rust fast.

As ac12 mentioned, The charm of a pointed nib is the holder, the dipping and the slow and steady writing. This experience cannot be replicated with a FP.

In terms of portability, you can always mix your inks and carry them in small containers.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/283105-attempting-a-roundhand-with-a-dip-pen/

-reply no10

These seal really well and also allow you to deliver the ink in the right amounts. I have used it to carry ink even in flights and there has been no problems.

If you still want a Fp with a Flex nib, I can recommend the desiderata. Pierre has researched this and come out with great pens (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

I have his Primrose model. This is a double ended FP. Nibs on both sides. It comes with a Zebra nib and each side takes about 1ml of ink. He tunes the pens and tests them before delivery. In the worst possible case you may have to adjust the feed to the nib distance to get a good flow.

The instructions to do this are also sent along with a pen in a 6 page manual that even a child could understand.

In my case, one side of the pen wrote out of the box. Just filled ink and it wrote. The other side, needed me to remove the feed, flush it with water and refit. Took 2 minutes and it wrote perfectly after that.

Pierre's service is great, he responds quickly to any query you may have and his pens work.

I cannot comment yet on the life of the Zebra Nib in his pen as its just 20 days old. No problems so far and with my past experience in the Ranga pen, I don't expect an issue for a couple of more months at least.

​To my knowledge, you can only use a Zebra G right now with his pens. He mentioned that he is working on getting feeds made for other nibs too.

Hope this helps

-Prasad

I got a Desiderata pen in December and it is now the only fountain pen I use every day. I've got Mont Blancs, vintage flexi pens, Lamys, Viscontis, you name it - I don't use them anymore.

I've changed the nib only once just to see how to do it - easy!

To me, a pen is all about the nib, so being able to have replaceable Zebra G's in a fountain is just about my idea of perfect. Of course, my idea of absolute perfection would be an oblique fountain pen (soz Pierre!)

A great pen and a great service!

Helen

Of course, my idea of absolute perfection would be an oblique fountain pen (soz Pierre!)

+1

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

As a daily user of an oblique holder, I have been interested in this particular thread and, after reading Helen's post above, I have decided to place an order this morning :)

+1 on an oblique fountain pen but for now, I am quite looking forward to the arrival of the Desiderata pen.

Pavoni.

the options are simple really Noodler's Ahab and konrad

the more pricier ones would be the desiderate option...
the mixed bag option of Akerman pump pens
and yes I already did this mod and with the help of some more people we got more options
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/268840-modded-noodlers-konrad/

this is the least cost option AS MUCH AS IT CAN BE the Nikko G, Tachikawa G nib need to have a carved out feed
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/280684-how-to-fit-a-manga-g-nib-into-a-noodlers-ahab/

Edited by Algester

• 2 years later...

The falling-down-the-rabbit-hole alternative is to buy a few 19th-Century gold-nibbed pens and have somebody who knows what he’s doing transplant them into your tiny ringtop pens that you’ve collected over the years. I love my hybrids, but I’m crazy.

The falling-down-the-rabbit-hole alternative is to buy a few 19th-Century gold-nibbed pens and have somebody who knows what he’s doing transplant them into your tiny ringtop pens that you’ve collected over the years. I love my hybrids, but I’m crazy.

Them vintage pens are not easy or cheap to come by. Wow, necropost to a thread from 3 years ago. This makes me nostalgic. :rolleyes:

One tries not to go nuts with these things. Besides which, the really expensive ones are too big to fit into my little ringtops. The biggest one I can use is a #3, which fits nicely into most of my vintage pens. The trick is finding one with a cap that’s long enough for the nib, which is why one of my hybrids is made from at least three pens.

So I guess I have gone nuts with these things. But the writing experience is sublime!