Acquisitions Plans For 2015 - What's Yours?

claudewick

Restraint is my plan for 2015!

This is my plan for 2015 also, but.......

I have already been Eyeing a Montblanc Solitaire Platinum Plated Facet Roller Ball and a very nice Montblanc Watch.

I am also on the lookout for a Burgundy Montblanc Document Marker and a Montblanc Meisterstuck Classique Mechanical Pencil 0.5mm with Platinum Trim if possible.

But my two big ticket items would probably be the following:

David Oscarson Fountain pen, either the Nobel or Winter collection.

Conway Stewart Belgravia Fountain Pen IB nib.

I also would like to get a couple of Spare Italic Conway Stewart nibs.

But most of all I need to show some restraint!!!!!!!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• inkstainedruth

• amk

• Barkingpig

Not just acquisition plans, but...

1. Buy more pens from brands I do not own, with finishes and nib sizes I have not tried yet.

I currently own a Cross, a Nemosine, a Parker, a Pilot, the Zebra and a rebranded-Cross Franklin Covey pen (don't judge, I was cleaning out my local big box retailers because we no longer have a pen shop where I live). A Jinhao is on the way.

2. Attend the Long Island pen show, and hopefully high-five Ed Jelley in the process.

3. Collect more unique ink colors. I somehow acquired two black inks for Christmas, so my choices now are black, black and black.

4. Complete my desk set. I am trying to get all eight pieces of the Bomber Jacket collection from Levenger.

I should also get a desk big enough to fit them, either at home or at work. I will also need a home...

5. Start a pen / paper / ink / desk accessory blog.

Finally bought my first Montblanc 146 in fine yesterday! I am very, very excited! I will finally get to figure out the age old question... :P

Nicholas

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

My wishlist for this year:

Pilot Justus 95

Pilot custom 823

Namiki Falcón or a sailor

Twsbi mini rose gold

And some iroshizukus

:D

In 2015 I wish to buy my first MB FP

I actually bought a Montblanc LeGrand about two days ago.

You should go get it because the nib is smoooooooooth and the ink flow is nice.

I'm hoping to buy a pen case, instead of a pen right now. But who knows, my mind might change.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

For Zaphrod_Beeblebrox:

I applaud your desire for restraint in the coming year........... BUT if you are looking for .........

Montblanc Meisterstuck N 166 Document in Burgundy.........

I saw one on Ebay today. The seller is French (I have not purchased from him but have been following his auctions. He has 100% feedback & seems to have a lot of very nice pens.) "ERFOBAY" & the item # is: 3811 2277 969

It is listed as "new & never used"

Don't know how you feel about Ebay or purchases from abroad but here may be a pen that you are looking for.......

I also aspire for restraint but am also setting my alarm for an ungodly hour to watch a pen that I have NEVER touched nor own any others by the maker & yet just think maybe I should have. Even have located a "back up" identical pen in case I am not successful.........so I applaud restraint but sometimes it just isn't possible!

At any rate enjoy the pens you have & I hope there will be many more for you as well.

Either a Pilot Custom 74 SF or a Falcon SF, and maybe a Twsbi 580AL stub. Inks, I just want to catch the danged De Atramentis Document ink when it is in stock. Well, and maybe a nice green of some sort.

I actually just put a video on youtube about budgeting and planning for pen purchases in 2015. I don't even want to add up how much money I spent on this hobby last year because I think it would be a number that would make me say "forget it, this is crazy" and give it up. One of those things that you either have to laugh or cry about, so I'm choosing to laugh this time around.

Anyway, I'm setting a pretty strict budget for myself this year of $600 and part of that budget is focusing how I'm spending my money to get the most enjoyment out of it rather than just buying every new shiny toy that I see. Thus, these are my plans at this point:

• a second VP. I really want the 2014 LE but I just can't bring myself to spend double what I've spent on every other one I've had (I've never payed full price for one) when there is structurally nothing different about it
  • a 2016 Hobonichi and perhaps a nicer cover than the one I currently have
  • a F nib for my Vac 700 so that I will have a set of F, M, B and I can easily review inks with multiple nibs on the same pen. That is, if I can wrestle the pen back from my manfriend who has taken it hostage...
  • I'll probably spend the rest on ink, and maybe a Lamy Vista if the 2015 Safari color doesn't appeal to me

I also really want to make it to a pen show this year, but since I have no firm plans I am going to not count that as part of my yearly budget and if I go I'll figure out an event budget for that. :-P

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Trying to stick to practicle stuff only. Good value pens that I'll use daily as a student and inks that I can use everyday, but are still interesting.

Faber-Castell Smoked Oak Ondoro F by august beyond that no more for the rest of the year and curb down the pens to buy 1 more which would be a CH 912 (2 years to save) or that Al-Sport stonewashed (immediate future orz)

Edited by Algester

No pen acquisitions planned for this year, the only planned purchase is Noodler's General of the Armies ink. I want 2015 to be about enjoying the pens I have and getting my collection down to a manageable number of pens I love using

Really want to buy the Pelikan M600 in Blue/black.

I do have the funds available to buy it new but it would really hold me back on more important things so I'm keeping an eye out for used pens going at a good price.

That should be the only purchase this year. Purchased two pens over Christmas and they will do everything I need them to so no real need to buy any more pens.

I note that quite a few people are saying this is the year of restraint...

I would very much like to know if any FPNers have ever said that, and actually stuck to it, for longer than the month of January :)

I hope that we all do not follow thru with this restraint.......

.....the pen companies might have a bad year! :)

In my case, it's not deliberate restraint (other than looking at finances -- we have to fix the roof this year and that's going to be pricy). It's more of a holding pattern.

For me, year 1 was mostly inexpensive pens. Year 2 was the vintage pen Ebay free-for-all. Year 3 was fewer pens than year 2, but tended to be more expensive ones. So Year 4 is -- well, dunno. It's a wait and see, but I'm definitely being more discriminating and less of a magpie. Well, at least as far as pens go....

I've bought a LOT of ink in the past couple of months: four bottles of KWZI inks from the second round of the group buy (plus four more on order from a local group buy); a (probably) full bottle of vintage Quink Black Microfilm ink; and six bottles on the recent excursion to the East Coast over the holidays (Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue, Walnut, and Qin Shi Huang; MB Lavender Purple; J Herbin Eclat de Saphir; and Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon, which was on clearance for 50% off. And in only *one* of those cases, it was something I had previously had gotten a sample vial of -- everything else was based pretty much on reviews and swabs (well, okay, I had dip-tested Noodler's HHB a couple of years ago, but that ink hadn't really been on the radar back then, since at the time I had been trying to match something specific). And there are more inks I definitely want to at least try, plus I really want to pick up a full bottle of Noodler's Georgia Peach (which might be my favorite highlighter ink ever).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have to sell at least 10 pens this year. So it is a year of disposition and not acquisition for me. I want to be at 10-12 pens that I really like and use by the end of the first quarter. Then my OCD symptoms will abate. Thence, any pen purchased will have to be followed by a pen sold.

Edited by blINK

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

My plan this year is to slow down in my pen acquisition and just enjoy the pens I currently have. I do have a few purchases planned spread out throughout 2015, though. I want to buy a custom Edison pen, a model 19 Franklin Christoph and probably two or three more Parker 51s. That's gonna be it for me. :)