Acquisitions Plans For 2015 - What's Yours?

claudewick

Hello,

In 2015 I wish to buy my first MB FP, probably the 146, an Edison pen (not sure about the model yet) and the remaining Iroshizuku inks.

And you? What buys are you planning for this year?

Cheers

Claude

http://www.pmcofres.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Porquinho-quebrado.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• inkstainedruth

• amk

• Barkingpig

No plans really. If I happen across a sumgai Montegrappa Romeo or War of the Roses set I might jump on it.

I don't have a definite plan, more like a wish list.

a second Pilot Stargazer

a Pilot Decimo

probably a Pelikan M215 (not really sure as it's not exactly what I'm looking for)

a Retro 51 Tornado rollerball

and then there's some other stuff... a Filofax, some Iroshizukus, the 2015 Edelstein...

we'll see how it goes..

Nothing specific for fountain pens. Chances are that, at some point, I'll run across some vintage pen that appeals to me at a price that I'll choose not to resist. And I have one pen on which I'm considering having the nib reground. Mostly, though, my plan is to sell off a significant chunk of my surplus pens. That will still leave me with too many, but fewer that I'd never use again.

And I want to find some better dip pen nibs, but I don't know yet exactly what I'm looking for. That is, I know what qualities I'm looking for, but not what nibs are most likely to fulfill them.

I'll start looking into this in a few weeks. Too many distractions right now.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I'd like to think the focus 2015 will be quality and not quantity. I've been trying to focus on what I want from the hobby and the direction ultimately I want my collection to go rather then buying any pen that vaguely interests me, For the last six months I've been trying to thin the heard and bring things back to a time where my collection comprised of pens I really loved to use and every pen got a regular inking. I think I am 2 pens off completing this but I've passed the point where I can simply give away out of favor pens so it's not going to be easy. Once this is complete and I have saved up around £100 I'm going to start looking for a single addition in 2015 probably a Lamy 2000.

Edited by The Blue Knight

So far my plans for new pens are basic enough:

February 2015 - Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme, broad nib

April 2015 - Lamy 2000 Makrolon, broad or oblique broad nib

August 2015 - Pilot Custom 823, broad nib

I really want to pick up a modern M400 with a BB+ nib at some stage along the way but I will wait until I see a good deal along the way.

Nothing written in stone. Mostly I think I should concentrate on fixing pens I have.

I do have a pen wish list, but they are most pens that are currently unaffordable, or vintage ones that may be hard to track down easily. I'm certainly thinking about saving my spare change for one of those new brown and creme Pelikan m200 pens -- they look quite nice. I may pick up another low end pen or two -- another Vector or a Noodler's FPC, which are nice tester pens. And I keep hoping that there will be some new colors of the ebonite Konrads (maybe blue -- I've seen some lovely blue ebonite blanks); do you think I should drop a line to Noodler's, saying "Hey, Neponsets are too big for me -- but the ebonite Konrads are a PERFECT size, and how about trying to find a blue blank?" :D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

After saving and sacrificing for a grail pen and then deciding not to buy it once I reached that savings goal, I'm not going to set any real goals. If something appeals to me, I may buy it, but only if it survives the "shopping cart wait."

There are a few inks that I want to buy to broaden my color selection: I'm lacking in oranges and yellows particularly, and may pick up one or two more greens.

The truth is, I think this will be a year spent more enjoying what I have than it will be a year or acquisition. I may also experiment with a few of the really cheap pens. I'm loving the JetPens Chibi, and recently acquired some $4.50 Jinhaos to serve as Christmas presents and giveaways, and they turned out to be a lot nicer than the others of this brand that I've tried.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Well, I was planning on getting an Aurora 88 - vintage version - as this is my 50th birthday year, but just a few minutes ago I was told I was successful in my bid for an Aurora 88P! It's a bit of a gamble as I haven't had any help in identifying what to look out for, but sometimes you've got to plunge I guess. Anyway, at 60 Euros (US$72) perhaps it was a reasonable risk at that.

Seeing as that has happened suddenly, and if it turns out to be a good 'un, I may have to think of something else for the birthday, or perhaps nothing at all. Hmm, dilemma.

2015 is only 4 days old yet I already pulled the trigger on 3 Parker:

A blue Parker 21, a black 1944 Parker 51 and a brand new Duofold black and platinum International.

At this rate, I should go bankrupt in less than 2 months :-)

In 2015, I would like to keep building my vintage pen collection. On the radar screen, I see a few Wahl, Waterman and a Parker 61

Cheers,

Pierre

Custom 823

Custom 845

400NN

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

No current plans.

Although I may have Art do his Tomahawk mod on my TWSBI 580's nib or get a nib and have him do his magic on that. I need to align the tines on the P45 desk set I just got as well. it does need some work. Another reason to clear grandpa's desk of the junk on it. A place to put it.

I do keep my eye on Pelikan 140's from time to time though.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I don't really have a 'plan', more like obsessive desire to acquire, listed in the order of which I'd like to try to acquire them in.

Right now the only ones kind of on my radar, assuming I don't keep getting cheaper pens/etc before doing so:

• A vintage pelikan 400 or smaller 400NN with a semi-flex nib around a western fine. Failing that, a cheaper 140.
  • A Doric with an adjustable nib. Though the faceted sides appeals to me more than the nib itself.
  • An Eversharp Skyline in the early Moire finish.
  • A Nakaya in one of the Tamenuri finishes, More like something I'd get a few years down the road. And the primary desire to own one is more for the material and that it basically screams Japanese.
  • Something Japanese from before the 60s, preferably one of the celluloid or earlier hard rubber models.
  • A Pilot MYU 701 to be a sibling to the Long Murex I already have. (newer M90 would be cool, a little rich, but cool)
  • Something with a well made crisp italic nib with a thickness no bigger than a western Fine/Fine~Medium
What I currently have, listed in a spoiler box as not to take more any more screen space than I already have.

* to mark what I'm likely to sell/trade, and + what I'm probably going to give away if not kept

• *Unbranded BCHR lever-filler, threaded cap, 14K warranted springy/flexy medium stub (M down, F across)
  • *Unbranded BCHR eye-dropper, push/pull cap, 14K warranted firm reverse stub (F down, M across)
  • Eversharp Skyline Demi, Red/Green Striated Cap, Navy Blue Body (ie: Army/Navy Configuration), 14K EF (minor amount of spring)
  • Eversharp Skyline, Black, Gold-filled cap, 14K Western EF (firm)
  • *Eversharp Skyline, Brown, Gold-Filled cap, 14K M~B with springiness/flex
  • *Eversharp Skyline Yellow Cab Edition (1995), 14K Broad (writes like a western medium)
  • Parker Vacumatic (1940), Gold-Pearled, 14K Wet EF~F
  • Parker 45CT, Navy Gray with matching Ballpoint, 14K Fine (with spring)
  • *Parker 45GT, Dark Grey, Steel Medium nib
  • *Parker Ellipse (2000-2002), Blue, 18K Fine with a little springiness to it
  • (*?)Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant Vac-Fill, Gold-Brown Striated, 14K Triumph 2-tone Medium
  • Moore 94A, Olive Green striated/striped, 14K Maniflex nib (wet, small crack by the breather hole)
  • Montblanc 225 (70s), Black, Platinated Cap, Platinum Coated 14K XXF (by western sizing), very firm/rigid but smooth
  • Pelikan M250 ('92-'96), Black, 14K Medium and Steel 1.0 (probably from an MC120)
  • Waterman Charleston, Black+Rhodium, Rhodium Plated 18K Medium
  • *Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (1st version), Steel Bexley Fine tweaked for wetness and losing some plating (matches the pen)
  • *Taccia Momenta, Marine Waves, Steel IPG Medium (though has a F-C Masuyama Needlepoint in it currently)
  • (*?) Bexley Tuckaway, Red, Goulet 2-tone EF (and still has it's original 2-tone Bexley Fine)
  • *Platinum PTL-10000, red, 18K Medium
  • Pilot Elite (March 11th, 1970), Black, 18K Soft Fine
  • Pilot Long Murex (Oct 1978), Stainless Steel Integrated Fine (Writes like a Japanese EF).
  • +Pilot Penmanship, Black, Steel EF
  • +Pilot Petit1, Black Translucent, Steel Fine
  • Pilot Petit1, Blue-Black Translucent, Steel Fine
  • *Lamy 2000, 14K EF
And the couple I have that need work before being considered functional
  • 1935 Edel Flex, Cork Piston filler with a Steel Flex nib. I need to either replace the cork, or install an o-ring onto it.
  • (+ once fixed) Wearever Pennant Cartridge Pen in Light Blue, has a cracked section
Non-FP stuff :
  • Tachikawa Model-40 holder with some Zebra-G dip nibs
  • Parker 45 Mechanical Pencil in dark green (going to get the cracks removed from it)
  • Autopoint 152G Executive Director Mechanical Pencil
  • Couple Uni Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencils (one high grade 0.5, one 0.7)

Edited by KBeezie

I will pick up a few pens:

• Another Pelikan M600.
  • A stub Pelikan nib.
  • Red Striated Pelikan M400 XF for editing.

I wanted to say I'm not after anything in particular, but the recently announced Pelikan M805 Stresemann has piqued my interest.

I have no plan, but I do have a wish list:

Kaweco Liliput

Pilot Custom 74

Pilot Stargazer

Custom Scriptorium Pens Pen

TWISBI Rose Gold (580?)

A fountain pen a day keeps the ballpoints away!

Signed,

The Majestic One

:W2FPN: