Amazon Uk Carene Craziness

encremental

I had been considering the Amazon offer, but after looking into it there doesn't seem to be anything to set the Carene apart from a cheap pen except the unusual nib. From what I've seen the Carene seems to fail(widespread skipping problems, BB etc) if you even look at it in the wrong way so, sadly, quality was never included in the price.

It reminds me of shops that sell an ordinary item at an inflated prices for a certain time period and then reduce the cost while showing "SALE! 80% OFF EVERYTHING!!" in the window so they can sell it at the price that it was intended to sell at.

Edited by WateryFlow

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• ian1964

• JimmyTwoTines

• Jeffrey Garrett

I had been considering the Amazon offer, but after looking into it there doesn't seem to be anything to set the Carene apart from a cheap pen except the unusual nib. From what I've seen the Carene seems to fail(widespread skipping problems, BB, etc) if you even look at it in the wrong way.

It reminds me of shops that sell an ordinary item at an inflated prices for a certain time period and then reduce the cost while showing "SALE! 80% OFF EVERYTHING!!" in the window so they can sell it at the price that it was intended to sell at.

I was tempted to however I was in John Lewis and saw them for real this morning however the Black looks boring however the amber looks stunning I think when you are spending that much what is an £20. The Amber ones about £105 at the moment however was £92 last week. I'd rather wait for the price of the amber to reduce a little again and go for that in few months time. As I'm in no rush to add anew pen.

I was tempted to however I was in John Lewis and saw them for real this morning however the Black looks boring however the amber looks stunning I think when you are spending that much what is an £20. The Amber ones about £105 at the moment however was £92 last week. I'd rather wait for the price of the amber to reduce a little again and go for that in few months time. As I'm in no rush to add anew pen.

I rather like the look of the black.

For me, I'm only adding pens if they add value (eg unusual design at an inexpensive price, unusual nibs on a pen that's priced right etc)

Edited by WateryFlow

I had been considering the Amazon offer, but after looking into it there doesn't seem to be anything to set the Carene apart from a cheap pen except the unusual nib. From what I've seen the Carene seems to fail(widespread skipping problems, BB etc) if you even look at it in the wrong way so, sadly, quality was never included in the price.

And yet mine went on deployment and performed beautifully under rough conditions. Still do.

Reviews are often weighted toward the negative and one has to look at the authors to judge the amount of operator error. We've all seen idiots who try to "flex" pens never designed to because it's trendy or insist steel nibs are superior because they withstand their paper gouging. Many wail that their Carenes leak when their grasp of the pen puts their fingers squarely on the horns of the nib as no one ever showed them how to hold a writing implement.

Yes, there are quality problems with every brand. But Carenes are dependable, gorgeous workhorses. Don't be afraid to enjoy a good inlaid nib.

Reviews are often weighted toward the negative and one has to look at the authors to judge the amount of operator error. We've all seen idiots who try to "flex" pens never designed to because it's trendy or insist steel nibs are superior because they withstand their paper gouging. Many wail that their Carenes leak when their grasp of the pen puts their fingers squarely on the horns of the nib as no one ever showed them how to hold a writing implement.

Yes, there are quality problems with every brand. But Carenes are dependable, gorgeous workhorses. Don't be afraid to enjoy a good inlaid nib.

Good point about negative comments much more likely to arise than positive ones.

I would love to own that nib though :). But when it's all added up, not for £72 because to me it doesn't have that lil something extra

Edited by WateryFlow

That's a good and valid reason.

I'm tiptoeing over to check them out because Carenes this side of the pond are going for silly amounts.

Then sections alone advertised at £90+ become a mockery.

Nib changes by Waterman are free other than you having to post the complete pen to them at your cost. There is no charge for its return.

The section must be in mint resalable condition. Even though they state the original receipt is required I have had non receipted sections changed.

I do not think Amazon will arrange the change for you. They are just in the sell sell sell business.

You may find they do not have stock of certain nibs especially the stubs. The subject of a topic on the Waterman Forum.

Edited by Force

That's a good and valid reason.

I'm tiptoeing over to check them out because Carenes this side of the pond are going for silly amounts.

My reasoning as well. But I sprinted. I can't get it anywhere near this price down here in Aus. Even including postage, risk free shopping form Amazon Uk is a cracking deal. I can't wait to get my grubby hands this pen. I am really quite excited. 60 pounds! Well worth the risk.

And as a nice coda to this topic, my Amazon cheapo Carene, complete with an extraordinarily lush stub has returned to the nest today - probably about a six week round trip. Everything went smoothly, although I must point out that you do have to notify Waterman (I used the contact address at their website) before dispatch, who will then send you a “Return Material Authorization (RMA)” .pdf which I liberally scribbled with 'change to stub!' as it is a general repair document and does not seem to be especially concerned with nib replacement.

And it is a total delight. I have six Carenes, and all have wonderful nibs. As stubs go, it is quite narrow (1.00 mm?) and about the same as my Edson factory stub (and I think Edson nibs run fine compared to Carenes). I would say it is 85% as good as the Edson, for about a sixth of the price.

Looking today, I see that the Carene bargains have disappeared, but I am sure they will be back. It is work keeping an eye on Carenes, Parker Duofolds, Pelikans and Lamys. I have had amazing bargains on all four. At time of writing, there are Pelikan P200/P205s for about £50. I got an Edson sapphire as an Amazon repack for £290 last year. I think someone just sent it back because it didn't match their eyes. It matches mine.

John

Edited by encremental

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again £72.50

It appears they can also change the nib to a stub if you prefer.

The only very small problem I found with the Amazon Carene I ordered a month or so back (£65) was that it came with a non removable AMAZON sticker over the outer box sleeve's pen data label which made that item U/S for reselling....if that's a problem.

Edited by Force

Alas! medium nib... I have a Carene in M and it is amazing but I wanted B. Can't knock it at this price - thanks for the heads up!

Amazon must have changed supplier as site now says- unable to ship this item to australia

My sincere sympathies because mine arrived within 5 days of ordering from the UK Amazon site. It really is a lovely pen.

This is not as cheap as they have been but it's still a vast reduction from the high street.

I was considering going for that example few weeks ago as black and gold pens do nothing for me £20 isn't that much of a difference to get a nicer finish was £90 a few weeks ago.

I ended going for Diplomats Flagship pen the Excellence a few days ago instead as I found a good price for it and I think overall the nicer pen.

I wish Amazon USA would offer this same deal for us Yankees...Its an amazing opportunity to pick up a wonderful pen at a great price.