My First 45!

SockAddict

I received this pen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221647879772 in the mail today. I did *not* run out and assault the mail carrier to get it! (I consider this a miraculous thing, considering the mail was a couple of hours late…) It seems to be in very good shape. Cosmetically, it's gorgeous. From the lack of marks, I'm guessing it wasn't used much. I soaked it in water and did some basic cleaning, and am now coaxing it to write for me. I clearly didn't let it dry well enough (there's that lack of patience thing again) before popping a cartridge in, so the ink is a bit watery, but that'll work out with a bit of writing. The nib feels slightly rough, but I'm reserving judgement on it until I have good proper flow.

For now, I'm thrilled!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SockAddict

• Cryptos

• OcalaFlGuy

• KBeezie

Oh so you're the (bleep)... I mean, oh wow... congratulations.

Did you take the time to soak it, then unscrew the nib unit from the pen, so that you could rise the nib/feed/hooding separately. Usually I remove that since the section itself tends to hold quite a bit (Found out later there's a permanent collector in there).

Looks like a Steel Fine, the nib tipping could have just been roughed up a little from ink sitting on it for so long. A couple figure 8s on a 12,000 grit micro-mesh pad should help a bit once you know you got proper flow and the nib is aligned (Which will be easier to do if you unscrew the unit, and slide the hooding back so that you can remove the nib itself if you have to align it).

You got a Loupe handy?

Edited by KBeezie

Congrats! They are addictive. I just received P45 #3 this past week..... a desk pen. I think the nib on needs some help. Guess I need to get a loupe.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I did take it all the way completely apart for soaking. There was a good amount of black ink coming out, but again, I don't think it was used much, as it didn't seem saturated. After I've played with it a bit, I'll take it apart again and let it soak longer, just to be thorough.

Now that the flow is better, I can say it is still slightly rough. Very slightly -- I *could* probably get used to it, but since I know now I don't have to, I'll try to smooth it better.

I don't have the proper tools for all that yet, but I've got the Goulet Pens' Pen Tuning set ordered, so they'll be here soon. For now I have a magnifier I use for needlework and one of those nail files. :)

I can tell how addictive this could be. Not there yet, but pretty close!

:lticaptd:

My first semi-vintage pen was a 45. I've been looking for a second one for a while, but keep missing out (I suspect that one, given the color, was on my watch list, but I've been trying to avoid Ebay for the time being -- gotta start saving up for getting the roof replaced this spring).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've got my first and second incoming. In fact I expect the second to arrive first, if you see what I mean. Mind you, I suspect that this will be a fact finding acquisition for me, and that both will probably end up given away.

:lticaptd:

My first semi-vintage pen was a 45. I've been looking for a second one for a while, but keep missing out (I suspect that one, given the color, was on my watch list, but I've been trying to avoid Ebay for the time being -- gotta start saving up for getting the roof replaced this spring).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

I keep peeking at ebay, and while I shouldn't I keep spending around 15-20 on something just because it looks neat, and I always keep saying in the back of my mind "I bet I could clean that up nicely...". Being able to do simple restores/tweaks is becoming a crux to my wallet...

I keep peeking at ebay, and while I shouldn't I keep spending around 15-20 on something just because it looks neat, and I always keep saying in the back of my mind "I bet I could clean that up nicely...". Being able to do simple restores/tweaks is becoming a crux to my wallet...

See, this is what I'm trying *not* to do. Gonna be even harder once that tuning set arrives, I just know it! :D

Nice looking pen, I looked at this one but after adding postage to the UK decided against it. As has been said a little smoothing on the nib will probably help get things running nicely again.

Good old Parker 45's - probably still my favorite pen!

My first P45 has arrived. Acquired locally (relatively, from the North Island) it is a dark grey and is in superb condition. It is clearly used as the converter sac is stained. Will have to see if that cleans up with a little ammonia solution. Overall, I am quietly impressed. It sits well in the hand and is not as 'cheap' looking as I anticipated.

Edit: not bad at all for $23 shipped.

Edited by Cryptos

Well, it's your fault, you know! ;) You posted that lovely gray of yours, and got me interested!

So, I stacked the magnification of the various tools I had at hand, and the nib was slightly mis-aligned. I got that straightened, I *think*, and then did a couple of figure 8s at my writing angle on the nail file, and it feels very smooth. Until it doesn't. The nib doesn't seem to want to stay aligned. Hmm.

My first P45 has arrived. Acquired locally (relatively, from the North Island) it is a dark grey and is in superb condition. It is clearly used as the converter sac is stained. Will have to see if that cleans up with a little ammonia solution. Overall, I am quietly impressed. It sits well in the hand and is not as 'cheap' looking as I anticipated.

Edit: not bad at all for $23 shipped.

Oh, congrats! I agree, mine feels nice in the hand and not at all "cheap." Inexpensive, yes, but not cheap. I hope you continue to like yours!

Well, it's your fault, you know! ;) You posted that lovely gray of yours, and got me interested!

So, I stacked the magnification of the various tools I had at hand, and the nib was slightly mis-aligned. I got that straightened, I *think*, and then did a couple of figure 8s at my writing angle on the nail file, and it feels very smooth. Until it doesn't. The nib doesn't seem to want to stay aligned. Hmm.

Are you removing the nib from the hood/feed unit to do the adjustments, and I would use some micro-mesh (12,000 grit) and mylar (0.3/1.0 micron) to do the smoothing and not a nail file depending on which one you're talking about.

Also are you making sure that you're not twisting from one side to the other when weiting.

I did not take it apart to adjust, but I will as the next step. Thank you for reminding me of that. The nail file is that type with the side that barely feels like anything to the finger. I don't have any micro-mesh yet, but I have ordered it.

I'm pretty confident I don't twist my pens as I write, as I can use small calligraphy nibs for regular handwriting without difficulty, but I will try watching for that. Thanks. :)

I did not take it apart to adjust, but I will as the next step. Thank you for reminding me of that. The nail file is that type with the side that barely feels like anything to the finger. I don't have any micro-mesh yet, but I have ordered it.

For something of a hooded design I usually try to take the nib out to work on it since messing with it at the tip may not do enough as opposed to just aligning it from the breather hole. But it also gives me an opportunity to make sure the nib is correctly seated in the unit and not being nudged up from not being in their correctly.

I'm pretty confident I don't twist my pens as I write, as I can use small calligraphy nibs for regular handwriting without difficulty, but I will try watching for that. Thanks. :)

:D I'd say it's not likely the problem either then.

Edited by KBeezie

Okay, so I'm at school right now - lunch time - and I ran a little water over the nib of this P45. As expected there was residual ink, and just enough to write a couple of words.

There is the slightest bit of shrinkage on the hood. I felt it rather that saw it, and that only because I had heard about it and was looking specifically for it. The cap is completely free of scratches, dings or any other usage marks. The body looks exceptionally clean too. The converter is the original metal squeeze thing.

The nib is gold coloured so I guess it is actually a gold nib? The nib also feels quite springy. I don't know if that is normal for a P45. It wrote very smoothly indeed. I think it is a medium - downstrokes are between 0.3 mm and 0.6 mm depending on pressure.

Edited by Cryptos

For something of a hooded design I usually try to take the nib out to work on it since messing with it at the tip may not do enough as opposed to just aligning it from the breather hole. But it also gives me an opportunity to make sure the nib is correctly seated in the unit and not being nudged up from not being in their correctly.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. This is actually the first time I've tried to do this type of tinkering, so I'm still figuring out the basics. It's actually been fine today, after I complained that it wasn't behaving. Maybe it didn't want to get shoved away in a drawer for years again! :D It could still use a touch more smoothing if I'm being picky, but I'll wait for the proper tools now. It's already much nicer than it was. I'm finding myself eyeing my other pens now … I'm coming after you next, Sonnet!

I actually took calligraphy lessons when I was 8 or so, before I ever wrote with a fountain pen. So I think the not twisting habit was ingrained early. I just wish I'd kept up with the calligraphy!

Okay, so I'm at school right now - lunch time - and I ran a little water over the nib of this P45. As expected there was residual ink, and just enough to write a couple of words.

There is the slightest bit of shrinkage on the hood. I felt it rather that saw it, and that only because I had heard about it and was looking specifically for it. The cap is completely free of scratches, dings or any other usage marks. The body looks exceptionally clean too. The converter is the original metal squeeze thing.

The nib is gold coloured so I guess it is actually a gold nib? The nib also feels quite springy. I don't know if that is normal for a P45. It wrote very smoothly indeed. I think it is a medium - downstrokes are between 0.3 mm and 0.6 mm depending on pressure.

I think if it's gold-colored it is gold, but I sure as heck am no expert. I think I'm going to watch for a gold nib next. :)

There was a period of gold plated nibs.

GOLD ones are hallmarked, you have to take the nib assembly apart to see the hallmark.

There is a youtube video of the takedown.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So, some are gold, and some are gold-plated? When you say takedown, do you mean disassembly? If so, there's also a pretty decent step-by-step description in this forum that I used yesterday.