Amazon Inks Arrived Shattered! What Now?!

Miz Black Crow

My poor, much-put-upon wife called me with great/terrible news. After I left for work this morning, my Solstice gift card from Amazon arrived, in the form of inks! Only one of the boxes was.... not box-colored. It turns out the bottle of Fuyu Syogun I ordered exploded, and in addition, when my wife was checking a bottle of Noodler's, the cap shattered. Her hands are now the color of either Red-Black or Black Swan AU, and I am in the doghouse for ordering inks through the mail. I am not sure about the status of the third ink; it may also have exploded in transit.

I would post sad photos etc, but I am afraid of the consequences of asking my better half to photograph the trauma at the moment. I'll know more around midnight, when I get home.

Since I am not stupid enough to ask for replacement products that might ALSO arrive kablooey'd, how do I go about getting a refund from Amazon for the shattered product? I believe both inks were shipped by individual retailers rather than Amazon itself, even though I got them both with Prime shipping.

How do I get my money back? (And if anyone knows any spousal-appeasing tricks for inksplosions, please share those too.)

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miz Black Crow

• Charles Rice

• Chrissy

• Last Knight

I have purchased and traded a significant amount of ink in the past without incident, some of it being vintage and some new. This should not have happened. Something went terribly wrong in the shipping. It was not your fault at all.

Did they not package it well? Or was it because of the cold?

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

The cold may have been a part of it, but New York hasn't really frozen lately. Methinks it was poor packaging. I haven't actually seen the way they were packed myself yet, though.

I'm wondering if using Amazon Locker for future ink purchases might help? Or is that just a silly plan?

I'm seriously doubting that Amazon or the seller for the bottles will want fragments of shattered glass back :unsure:

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

I believe that first you have to contact the marketplace seller and request a refund. If you then have a problem getting that, then you contact Amazon. However, you can phone Amazon and they will confirm what you need to do.

I am in the UK so Amazon.com might be slightly different.

My poor, much-put-upon wife called me with great/terrible news. After I left for work this morning, my Solstice gift card from Amazon arrived, in the form of inks! Only one of the boxes was.... not box-colored. It turns out the bottle of Fuyu Syogun I ordered exploded, and in addition, when my wife was checking a bottle of Noodler's, the cap shattered. Her hands are now the color of either Red-Black or Black Swan AU, and I am in the doghouse for ordering inks through the mail. I am not sure about the status of the third ink; it may also have exploded in transit.

I would post sad photos etc, but I am afraid of the consequences of asking my better half to photograph the trauma at the moment. I'll know more around midnight, when I get home.

Since I am not stupid enough to ask for replacement products that might ALSO arrive kablooey'd, how do I go about getting a refund from Amazon for the shattered product? I believe both inks were shipped by individual retailers rather than Amazon itself, even though I got them both with Prime shipping.

How do I get my money back? (And if anyone knows any spousal-appeasing tricks for inksplosions, please share those too.)

If your wife has her nails done by a professional, take her to one. If she does her own nails; go to the mall and by her some nail polish and maybe alittle lipstick, as well. Then tell her you're sorry because you know this sort of thing bothers a woman

I bought something from Amazon (one of their marketplace sellers) that I'm going to return. I went to the my orders section, found the item, clicked on return, answered why, then there was a message that they would let the seller know of the refund needed. You could try this, knowing that you can back out at any time before finally submitting your request.

Of course your problem is you can't return the product. But you might find a way to tell them that during the process for requesting a refund. Good luck.

Posted Image

I can't speak to the spousal-appeasing tricks, but your genuine care and concern should go a long way. You know her best, so you'll know what to offer, or say to her.

Posted Image

The wife seems to have calmed down, at least. She still "looks like {her} hands have been dipped in beets", though.

I managed to get Amazon to actually call me (they have a button for this under Contact), and their rep processed my refund request in under 5 minutes, with no need to return the items (which is good, since the wife threw them away). Should post to my account in 2-3 days. Points to Amazon for classy and expeditious customer service.

Edited by Miz Black Crow

Girl Sam

The wife seems to have calmed down, at least. She still "looks like {her} hands have been dipped in beets", though.

I managed to get Amazon to actually call me, and their rep processed my refund request in under 5 minutes, with no need to return the items (which is good, since the wife threw them away). Should post to my account in 2-3 days.

Good for Amazon. :) Not quite so good for your wife. :( She might need you to buy some Nix ink remover as a present

Ooooooh, good call. I think this will be a thing. I tried to go to Fountain Pen Hospital this morning for some replacement sacs and cement and discovered the hard way they're closed on weekends; I'll buy some InkNix while I'm there on... Thursday. Thanks Chrissy :)

Girl Sam

Try to get the InkNix while you can -- there was a discussion on another thread a few days ago saying that it's been discontinued! Which is really too bad -- it's great stuff, and a little goes a long way.

Hopefully your wife is okay (other than ink-covered) -- it's unbelievable how far shattered glass can travel.... :o

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hope you were able to get the InkNix which is great; I am currently using ReDuRan which works very well:

http://www.amazon.com/Reduran-Special-Specialty-Removal-Cleaner/dp/B000V4HVE8

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, Miz Black Crow; I've ordered several inks through Amazon, and despite being maltreated by the Navy postal system they've crossed half the world to reach me safely and without mess. I can't imagine what your Soltice gift must have gone through to arrive in such poor condition.

I have had cracked caps on several ink bottles through Amazon, and never had any luck with a regund. Both times, Amazon asked me to return the product (a leaking, sodden mess) instead. Good luck.

According to the wife, the Amazon packing was... Nothing. Just two inks, in a box, with nothing to protect them. Predictably, the carriers destroyed the outside, which crushed the FuyuSyogun.

The other ink that went 'splodey was apparently just posted in a bubble envelope, but the glass stayed intact. Instead the cap cracked, and went sploosh. About half that bottle was salvageable, at least.

Lesson learned, I guess. And one of the bottles survived; curiously, it was in the box with the Fuyu.

Also, Amazon has so far refunded the Ahab I ordered that arrived just fine, but not the Iro? So confused.

Edited to add: I was wondering about that, so I had them call me. The guy did NOT want me to mail the broken bottles back. Maybe try that route next time, Davros?

Edited by Miz Black Crow

Girl Sam

If your wife's fingers still look inky - but I guess not - next time she might use some household cleaner with a little ammonia in it. Works wonders on inky accidents with my hands, which, because I have so many eyedroppered pens, I have had my share of. The ink washes off in seconds.

I do hope she did not get any of the nasty glass splinters on her hands - that might have made it a whole different ball game, and I'm sure Amazon would be well aware of that...

Thanks for sharing the story, too - I for one will be warned off Amazon as a source for bottled ink!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Question: If you live close enough to the FPH to go there for sacs and cement, why on earth would you risk ordering ink through the mail in the winter?