What Do Your Fountain Pen(S) Say About You?

joshua.andrews59

We live in a society where most of what we own somewhat defines us. Whether we like it or not that is usually how people perceive it anyway. We like what we like for a reason and that individualistic trait makes everyone unique!

So much like the clothes, shoes, and car we own tell us a bit about what we prefer, what do your Fountain pen(s) say about you!?

I have pilot metropolitans, lamy 2000/ safari/studio, nemostine Fission. (all black).. I think I would boil mine down to that I am all about the business looking end of a FP's.

Let's hear what yours say about you....

Note: this is not about labeling but much rather identifying what style of pens you like.

VICTRIX FORTUNA SAPIENTIA

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshua.andrews59

• The Blue Knight

• PS104

• debraji

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My pens mostly sit around in their storage cabinets saying "How come you never use most of us? I could be an every-day carry!"

ron

My pens mostly sit around in their storage cabinets saying "How come you never use most of us? I could be an every-day carry!"

ron

rwilsonedn,

Fantastic! I laughed when I read your post. When you finally do use them they might complain to go back to their beds.

Mine say "I like very fine nibs, and I only get pens over 50.00 if someone else buys them for me." :P

Mine say "I like very fine nibs, and I only get pens over 50.00 if someone else buys them for me." :P

Vgimlet,

The best pens are free pens. Seems like your pens have a very "fine" taste! pun intended.

I think for the most part, my pens say "I like old stuff, I'm practical, I like to look good, but not flashy".

Not much. Most people have no knowledge about fountain pens, and most people don't notice or care about my pens. There are more obvious and significant indicators: job and job competency, morals, speech, etiquette, clothes, car, home, vacations, memberships to clubs, private schools, etc A pen is hardly worth mentioning by comparison.

Edited by Blade Runner

Looking at my current collection (smaller than I would like), I think my pens at the moment say "I am constrained by a strict budget"...

Edited by thesunshine

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

To the degree that anyone notices my pens, I suppose that they say "kind of old fashioned and strange" because, well, they are fountain pens! And they go everywhere with me so I never have to use anything else. That is pretty odd in my world.

Or maybe, to folks who actually know anything about fountain pens, they say "beginner", or "cheap" or maybe "on a tight budget".

I have seen prettier pens, but I have never seen a prettier one I could afford when I saw it. And I have a rule. I only need another pen when I need another colour of ink. I am not a big experimenter, so one pen per ink colour does the trick for me.

That said, I think I know what my next ink colour will be...so I am sort of keeping an eye open for a beautiful pen...maybe a little fqancier than anyhting I current;y have. I should have known that this den of enablers would get to me. :rolleyes:

My pens say, "I'm an avid bird collector" :P

Yep, I like Pelikans and would want more of them.

Still, I have moved from a demo lover to one who can accept a pen as long as it has an ink window, from a piston filler person to one who can accept c&c.

My tastes have changed a lot I must say, but my heart will always hold a soft spot for demos and Pelikans.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Oddly enough, I have I never heard my pens speak. In the interim I'll be nice to them. I'll polish them and keep them out of direct light. I'll continue to listen, and if they finally do speak; they'll say something nice about me. On the other hand, my Orchids talk to me every day.

Oddly enough, I have I never heard my pens speak. In the interim I'll be nice to them. I'll polish them and keep them out of direct light. I'll continue to listen, and if they finally do speak; they'll say something nice about me. On the other hand, my Orchids talk to me every day.

FOUR X FOUR,

Ahh well you must be lucky! My pens are always indicating they are thirsty for more ink. On the other hand your Orchids must say the same thing at some point I suppose.

My pens say, "I'm an avid bird collector" :P

Yep, I like Pelikans and would want more of them.

Still, I have moved from a demo lover to one who can accept a pen as long as it has an ink window, from a piston filler person to one who can accept c&c.

My tastes have changed a lot I must say, but my heart will always hold a soft spot for demos and Pelikans.

~Epic

Lord Epic,

My good sir I believe I have seen your flock of Pelikans in the sky inking up the place. On a serious note, I too wish to be an "avid bird collector." I have yet to buy a Pelikan. But I shall look at them as I fly with my "Pilot" pens. lol sorry for the banter.

Not much. Most people have no knowledge about fountain pens, and most people don't notice or care about my pens. There are more obvious and significant indicators: job and job competency, morals, speech, etiquette, clothes, car, home, vacations, memberships to clubs, private schools, etc A pen is hardly worth mentioning by comparison.

I understand. It was a question of personal opinion of yourself rather than social perception.

To the degree that anyone notices my pens, I suppose that they say "kind of old fashioned and strange" because, well, they are fountain pens! And they go everywhere with me so I never have to use anything else. That is pretty odd in my world.

Or maybe, to folks who actually know anything about fountain pens, they say "beginner", or "cheap" or maybe "on a tight budget".

I have seen prettier pens, but I have never seen a prettier one I could afford when I saw it. And I have a rule. I only need another pen when I need another colour of ink. I am not a big experimenter, so one pen per ink colour does the trick for me.

That said, I think I know what my next ink colour will be...so I am sort of keeping an eye open for a beautiful pen...maybe a little fqancier than anyhting I current;y have. I should have known that this den of enablers would get to me. :rolleyes:

Misti,

My dear friend that is all the more that makes you unique! There is nothing wrong with the pens being how you say "old fashion and strange" That is what is awesome about it. I dare to say at the bare minimum of platinum preppy's and Jinhao FP's are amazed and awestruck to those who haven't seen them before. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I see you are eyeing the ink above! lol That is a great rule.

I think for the most part, my pens say "I like old stuff, I'm practical, I like to look good, but not flashy".

NinthSphere,

Those sound like the pens of a Gentleman. Many would approve that is far worthy than the flashy that are not dependable.

My pens, or anything I do or wear for that matter, don't say anything about me but more about about the ones judging me for it. Or as I used to explain my use of analog camera's to critics: "I am disgusted by people who classify me as non-conformist"... :)

I think my pens would say "I'm a fine pen ain't I" And them someone comes around and looks curiously at my pen, "Please don't land me in the hands of someone who's using a cheap Ballpoint!"

Edited by Sky Fountain Pens

I have Pilot Metroplitans and Lamy in my classroom. Students say they are fancy but I'm sure my pens would say, "please don't share so generously, my nib is tired and sore from those ballpoint users you jeep lending me to!" Mwahahaha I say they are well loved : )

I have Pilot Metroplitans and Lamy in my classroom. Students say they are fancy but I'm sure my pens would say, "please don't share so generously, my nib is tired and sore from those ballpoint users you jeep lending me to!" Mwahahaha I say they are well loved : )

LeeBG,

That made me laugh thank you for that!