What's With This Cap?

FPgal

I was strolling through the big auction site and came across this Wahl-Eversharp Skyline pen for sale, with the information that the top needed some work. What's going on and would it be a lot of work to fix it? (or is it a job for a pro?)

pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566ec8ec6fhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EVERSHARP-FOUNTIN-PEN-WITH-EVERSHARP-NIB-TOP-NEEDS-WORK-/371225848943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566ec8ec6f

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPgal

• FarmBoy

• jonveley

• AZBennett

Its hard to tell on that pen whether its a derby issue or a cap issue or a combination of both. I have found the GF caps to be finicky and most need work with either the inner cap coming loose from the gf cap or the threads of the inner cap being stripped. Its a good price though and the nib looks like it might have a bit of flex to it.

Paul

The threaded portion of the derby has shrunk such that it no longer properly engages the threads in the cap body. There are a number of repair methods, some involving lathes and others glue. Some methods more recommended than others. Likely you could make a working pen out of it with minimal effort. If not, it is always good to have parts laying around. Skyline nibs tend to be quite nice.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Thanks for the info! I am not at all comfortable with working on pens right now and am looking at such pens thinking about whether it would be worth getting something along these lines and asking someone else to restore it. I would certainly consider it very seriously in this case, if I knew someone who would do it. And as for the price being right, that's if no one else bids on it :D

Thanks for the info! I am not at all comfortable with working on pens right now and am looking at such pens thinking about whether it would be worth getting something along these lines and asking someone else to restore it. I would certainly consider it very seriously in this case, if I knew someone who would do it. And as for the price being right, that's if no one else bids on it :D

Skylines are nice pens. My recommendation is to purchase one already restored instead of trying to save money buying a pen on eBay and then having someone restore it. (Restorer's can rarely add and wind up working for themselves at a lower rate than working for you.)

You might try looking at Pensbury Manor for a nice Skyline, vintage or otherwise.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Thanks, FarmBoy! This debate over buying an already restored vs. a "project" keeps bubbling up, especially with pens like this. I have noticed that the restored Waterman Taperite I bought on eBay makes me very happy, while another pen I bought the same way had to get the nib adjusted, and that was causing some stress for a brief time.) I have thought that it is worthwhile to support a serious restorer, valuing their skills, rather than muddling along. And it seems that the Skyline, as well as the other Wahl Eversharps, are all affordable on sites where the restorers present their work. I'll definitely go to Pensbury Manor and have a look!

Another great thing about looking at the Skyline is that they are regularly popping up, so I don't have to feel that I have missed the pen of the century. Ebay causes that feeling and I don't really like that about auctions. (This debate came up in the Esterbrook forum, I think...)

Thanks again for that advice! One of these days I'll get brave about learning basic pen restoration, but until then I will not feel guilty for considering a shiny, restored pen!

Some of the Skyline derbies were threaded all the way, some had a portion that wasn't threaded. A threaded derby will never screw all the way into a derby that isn't threaded the whole way, because the derby will stop where the threading stops.

Derbies remain plentiful.

It's also possible the seller doesn't show the derby screwed all the way down.