Onoto Pens

Izzy

Looked at one of these last week, beautiful looking pen, wrote super smoothly, but was shocked at the price of GBP£490.00 with a two tone stainless steel nib :yikes: Anyone else have experience of these pens?

ATB

Nigel

Edited by Izzy

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• Izzy

• Ambien

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure exactly which Onoto pen you are talking about but I have quite a few Onoto pens and feel they are the best in the world. One reason some of their pens are priced the way they are is because the are made in very limited runs of 50 to 200.

Do you know which model of Onoto you are talking about but I believe you would not be disappointed if you bought one.

I have yet to have any issues with any of my Onoto's but I have had the need to contact them before I bought a pen to make a special request, they had no qualms taking care of my request. I do not believe other larger companies would have been willing to accommodate me. They also had no issues sending me a new presentation box (at no charge to me) when i misplaced my old one. That is first class customer service.

I could keep going on about Onoto but I will stop here and let others comment.

Are you talking about the new Onotos or vintage ones? I just came across a vintage one and found a very similar one online for ~$120

That seems high for a steel nib. Check out their website - some fantastic pens, lots of options re nibs and weight.

It's my dream pen. Have vintage ones and covet the new ones.

It was this pen :D

http://www.onoto.com/luxury-pens/the-charles-dickens-range/the-chuzzlewit

Was in local pen store, £360.00 direct from Onoto

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

Limited to 200 per version, that is one reason for the price.

Yes, but £360.00 direct from Onoto, £490.00 from local pen store, will give them a call tomorrow to see if they made a mistake. I'm a good customer of their's but can't see how they can justify a £130.00 price difference :huh:

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Yes, but £360.00 direct from Onoto, £490.00 from local pen store, will give them a call tomorrow to see if they made a mistake. I'm a good customer of their's but can't see how they can justify a £130.00 price difference :huh:

Yes this is true, the price should be the same, if not less. I have never paid full retail for any pen I have bought, most resellers I deal with discount at least 10%. This includes Montblanc, Onoto, and Conway Stewart.

Hope they are willing to be reasonable.

This business of prices is quite interesting. From the link I see that an Onoto from this range, with a gold nib would cost the purchaser £420.50. This would equate to about £7 at 1930s prices. I do not have a list of pre-war Onoto prices, but a decent Swan at the time cost about 45/- - £2.25 say £127 today.

Around 1964 I really wanted an Omega Constellation watch. At the time such a watch, in stainless steel cost £45 - a month and a half's salary for me at the time. I have just checked and see that Constellation prices start at about £1500, which would be about £75 at 1964 prices.

I suppose part of these increases may be accounted for by the greatly increased wages paid to skilled workmen, and to increased property prices, taxes and overheads in general. Nevertheless I think that there has been some other "inflation" elsewhere although I imagine that another factor is economy of scale: in the old days, virtually everybody had some sort of fountain pen.

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Onoto is not the same company as is way back in the day. They were a general manufacture of pens but today's Onoto is a Luxury Pen manufacture making a very limited number of pens a year.

As for Omega I am not sure, but I would bet that due to the decline in watch wears they probably do not sell as many pens as they did. So low production and desire to be a luxury item run up the cost.

If you only sold 1000 pens a year, how much do you think you would have to charge for each pen to cover cost of employees or even just your salary? To cover cost of dealers making a profit and do not forget marketing cost, production cost, material cost, legal cost, etc. the list goes on.

All of these things factor in on the cost of the pen.

Onoto is not the same company as is way back in the day. They were a general manufacture of pens but today's Onoto is a Luxury Pen manufacture making a very limited number of pens a year.

As for Omega I am not sure, but I would bet that due to the decline in watch wears they probably do not sell as many pens as they did. So low production and desire to be a luxury item run up the cost.

If you only sold 1000 pens a year, how much do you think you would have to charge for each pen to cover cost of employees or even just your salary? To cover cost of dealers making a profit and do not forget marketing cost, production cost, material cost, legal cost, etc. the list goes on.

All of these things factor in on the cost of the pen.

Oh yes - and I alluded to the economies of scale at the end of my piece. And if Omega has ever made a pen I should like to see it! :happyberet:

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Where the thread gone?

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

I have the Nickelby version of the Charles Dickens range - lovely pen, well weighted and very smooth nib - I have a gold stub variety in mine. Mainly using the Doctor's pen at present which they made following a suggestion. Again a lovely pen with the clip being beautifully done. I cannot recommend Onoto more highly. I have a number of the new and the vintage; the new are much more user friendly!

I also have two of the modern Onotos. At least one is alway inked. Great pens, excellent customer service.

Had a look at some prices:-

Onoto £360 or with 18ct nib £422.50

Write Here £340 or with 18ct nib £415

Andy's Pens £342 or with 18ct nib £413

It would seem your local store is pushing it a bit.

Peter

Are you perhaps confusing GBP and EUR?

I see the price in Euros listed as 485 here in the Netherlands

The GBP is very high at the moment to the Euro, today listed at 1 GBP = 1.288 EUR.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Are you perhaps confusing GBP and EUR?

I see the price in Euros listed as 485 here in the Netherlands

The GBP is very high at the moment to the Euro, today listed at 1 GBP = 1.288 EUR.

D.ick

No, not confused, shop had it marked up at GBP£490.00, I think (or hope) they made a mistake, if not they won't be getting my custom on that pen :unsure:

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro