My Parker 45.. What To Do ?

Armand.D

Hello all,

I purchased on ebay as a new pen this parker 45 for 20€.. (maybe too expensive but in europe from what i've

seen a 45 can be expensive!) and it seems to has been used well.

• I surely need to clean it, so what do you think it's the best way to do it ?

• I heard about an "easy" unscrewing of the nib, and talking about it can you assure me that it is a 14k gold or not ?

I will have to open the pen, but as there are silver looking parts on the nib the kind of it appears pretty sure to myself..

I want to do all of this correctly to have a nice "restored" FP, even if the seller said that it was working (I have not

tested it yet) nobody knows.

(i don't know if running water is enough, if not i think that herbin cleaning flush would be good, i live next to paris so it wouldn't be hard to find)

+ The auction was a little strange, because he wrote on Ebay that the nib was "de oro" (gold) and the pen "azul"

(navy but he's green, the picture was correct so i guess it's a fail, it doesn't upset me as normally it works, it's ebay after all..).

I buyed this after advices that were given to me here, so i'm still happy to have this pen even "that" used,

I trully think that this pen can give a cool writing experience (that it will in my student life),

i'm waiting for your advices ! ;)

Pictures →

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/52/1419801740-a.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/52/1419801762-c.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/52/1419801771-d.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/52/1419801782-e.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/52/1419801828-f.jpg

Edited by Armand.D

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armand.D

• FarmBoy

• Charles Rice

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

The nib is bent. If it is an option, I would return the pen.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Edit: "as a new pen" ... return it, and if they won't take it back, file a claim for item not as described.

original post:

Well 45 nibs are easily replaceable since you can just unscrew them from the section, and then push the feed/nib forward thru the collar (and the nib just lifts off the feed). Most of the 45 nibs are sold as a Nib+Feed+Hood unit. But just be careful unscrewing the hooding, I recommend soaking the front a little bit and rinsing it out just in case dried ink is acting like cement.

I got this Parker 45 with a 14K Nib for $6, here's a shot of it disassembled so you can see the pieces.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/disassembled.jpg

Looks like this after being cleaned up:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/uncapped.jpg

Then I got two more for about $10-15 shipped (each), but with F and M steel nibs.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45s_1.jpg

Then in the same week I got this pair which seems to be never-inked for $10 shipped (with a steel medium nib):

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45/navy_gray_set/uncapped.jpg

The steel nibs aren't bad, but they don't have quite that 'spring' as the 14K fine I have. All except the last set needed to be rinsed/cleaned and in some cases polished (but none of the nibs required any work).

PS: If the auction was listed as a working pen, return it, clearly isn't.

Edited by KBeezie

Farmboy

I hate to say it, but judging from the photos you got hosed.

Hmm.. that's bad.

Assuming that was on ebay i guess it's not possible :(

I have to test it with quink cartridges that i have.

Yikes, that's one bent nib!

I said that.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Edit: "as a new pen" ... return it, and if they won't take it back, file a claim for item not as described.

original post:

Well 45 nibs are easily replaceable since you can just unscrew them from the section, and then push the feed/nib forward thru the collar (and the nib just lifts off the feed). Most of the 45 nibs are sold as a Nib+Feed+Hood unit. But just be careful unscrewing the hooding, I recommend soaking the front a little bit and rinsing it out just in case dried ink is acting like cement.

I got this Parker 45 with a 14K Nib for $6, here's a shot of it disassembled so you can see the pieces.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/disassembled.jpg

Looks like this after being cleaned up:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/uncapped.jpg

Then I got two more for about $10-15 shipped (each), but with F and M steel nibs.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45s_1.jpg

Then in the same week I got this pair which seems to be never-inked for $10 shipped (with a steel medium nib):

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45/navy_gray_set/uncapped.jpg

The steel nibs aren't bad, but they don't have quite that 'spring' as the 14K fine I have. All except the last set needed to be rinsed/cleaned and in some cases polished (but none of the nibs required any work).

PS: If the auction was listed as a working pen, return it, clearly isn't.

Thank you !

I just put it into some water, then i will try to remove the nib.

But where do you find these 45 at this price ? It's quite nice..

Honestly i'm searching for gold nibs, i prefer them for this 'spring', if you know a place where i can get some (at an honest price)..

EDIT :

I will see with the guy for a return but i have bad hopes..

I don't think that it is covered by ebay but you're right.

(Are you sure that it can't be use with this nib ?)

Edited by Armand.D

Far boy, actually you said....

Farmboy

I said......

Yikes, that's one bent nib!

I was not ignoring your comment but was just emphasizing the fact that it was REALY BENT! :)

Sorry, I've not buyed it as "new" but as a second hand pen (used), i wanted to say in replacement to my lamy safari..

(still looking for any answers about places to buy others or gold nibs)

Edited by Armand.D

It is my understanding that at least on USA Fleabay, unless it is noted that it isn't known if the item works or not clearly in the listing, that it is Assumed the item is serviceable. That it works.

I would be somewhat surprised if that pen (nib) is or does.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

But where do you find these 45 at this price ? It's quite nice..

Honestly i'm searching for gold nibs, i prefer them for this 'spring', if you know a place where i can get some (at an honest price).

All three were off ebay. And were pretty much listed either with inaccurate or incomplete information, nib size also unknown so getting steel or gold, or F or M was pretty much a gamble. I lucked out on the first one obviously which was listed for $10 at a buy it now price, but I made an offer for $6 and they accepted. The others were primarily buy it now ones, one of the gray ones was listed as a Parker 21 (but you can tell the difference between a Parker 45, 21, and 51 easily just from looking at the nib and body).

Essentially when I got all of my current 45s I had no clue what nib I was receiving with them, but at $10 or less and the ability to easily swap between them I went for it. Especially since from all the pictures I could see that the nibs appeared intact. Only one of them had the fortune of coming with a converter (the navy gray set), the rest just came with an inky parker converter which you can still buy now days.

Far as the nib, with it twisted up like that and the gap it has, it's pretty much going to be unusable for consistent flow, you might be able to get a word and some splatter off, it might even just dribble out depending on how mangled the nib is. Overall it's going to be useless compared to a 45 with a working nib.

I can't speak for Europe, but 45s seem to be on average anywhere between $25 to $50, not counting of course specific rarities. And the nibs by themselves seem to run around $20-30, usually for the steel ones.

Looks like it was chewed, too.

Yea the tail of that barrel definitely more chewed than any of the ones I received. If it wasn't quite as bad and I weren't returning something that looked like that I could probably get away with sanding it down and using some polish compound on it, but being right at the edge there it would forever be deformed to a curve (plus I don't have the skills to re-mold the plastic, and using a heat gun isn't going to pop out the marks when there's a chunk of plastic missing)

If the pen was something like $2 and I had that, I would consider doing some work on it just for the sake of such, but at the equivalent of around $20, I would seriously seek a return.

Edited by KBeezie

All three were off ebay. And were pretty much listed either with inaccurate or incomplete information, nib size also unknown so getting steel or gold, or F or M was pretty much a gamble. I lucked out on the first one obviously which was listed for $10 at a buy it now price, but I made an offer for $6 and they accepted. The others were primarily buy it now ones, one of the gray ones was listed as a Parker 21 (but you can tell the difference between a Parker 45, 21, and 51 easily just from looking at the nib and body).

Essentially when I got all of my current 45s I had no clue what nib I was receiving with them, but at $10 or less and the ability to easily swap between them I went for it. Especially since from all the pictures I could see that the nibs appeared intact. Only one of them had the fortune of coming with a converter (the navy gray set), the rest just came with an inky parker converter which you can still buy now days.

Far as the nib, with it twisted up like that and the gap it has, it's pretty much going to be unusable for consistent flow, you might be able to get a word and some splatter off, it might even just dribble out depending on how mangled the nib is. Overall it's going to be useless compared to a 45 with a working nib.

I can't speak for Europe, but 45s seem to be on average anywhere between $25 to $50, not counting of course specific rarities. And the nibs by themselves seem to run around $20-30, usually for the steel ones.

Yea the tail of that barrel definitely more chewed than any of the ones I received. If it wasn't quite as bad and I weren't returning something that looked like that I could probably get away with sanding it down and using some polish compound on it, but being right at the edge there it would forever be deformed to a curve (plus I don't have the skills to re-mold the plastic, and using a heat gun isn't going to pop out the marks when there's a chunk of plastic missing)

If the pen was something like $2 and I had that, I would consider doing some work on it just for the sake of such, but at the equivalent of around $20, I would seriously seek a return.

Ok, so i'll really have to be more careful in the future.. all of this seems very inaccurate.

It's my bad.. I don't know if i will put myself into claims etc (i don't think so)

Probably if not i will be searching again for a new pen, according from what i wanted and my introduction thread :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/277872-hello-from-france/

I have :

• Parker duofold/slimfold
  • Sheaffer Snorkel
  • vintage Pelikans (which ones ?)

I'll put probably max between 40-50€ into a new one, as i know a french FP forum i will also try to get adviced there, to be sure about serious sells.

I have to thank you for your quick and precises answers, i don't know if you can still advice me but i really appreciate that,

Thank you again ;)

Edited by Armand.D

Personally, I cannot feel any difference between a stainless steel and gold nib. I do NOT press the pen down during normal writing. So I don't bother looking for a gold nib, except to have its color on some pens.

You can find gold Parker 45 nibs on eBay.

But it can be cheaper to buy the entire pen WITH a gold nib.

Personally, I would file a "not as described" claim against the seller with eBay, and get a full refund.

Then go buy a Parker 45, in good condition.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Personally, I cannot feel any difference between a stainless steel and gold nib. I do NOT press the pen down during normal writing. So I don't bother looking for a gold nib, except to have its color on some pens.

AC-

You are simply more refined than most...

-FB

File with eBay and see what happens. Your pen is certainly not new/unused.

-FB (again)

Sure, the pen is used, and the nib is bent, but you are right, and in need to try using it, ¿ who knows ?, maybe it would be the better experience of your life writing

with that Quasimodo nib, any way , living in France I dont think it will be dificult for you to find one or two 45 nibs for 5 or 10 dollars.