Nos 45 Flighter, But What Are The Other Two?

jdllizard

I went on a buying spree a few months ago for flighters, and now that I'm wanting to sell them as my collection is going in a different direction, I need to know what exactly I've got.

I know one is a 45, because it is stamped Parker 45. Trouble is, the other two are marked Parker but no model number.

Here are some pics, I'd love it if someone can help me identify them. I think(?) they are all 45's but am not sure. Any idea what exactly they are and approximately what year?

The bottom two are the ones in question.

post-117098-0-77619700-1419458008_thumb.jpg

post-117098-0-84349200-1419458039_thumb.jpg

post-117098-0-03086400-1419458056_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I hope they are enough for identification purposes.

John L

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jdllizard

• Captivelight

• icardoth

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are all versions of the Parker 45.

Top one is a Flighter later version possibly from the late 70's early 80's to as late as 2000 with no end cap and gold trim ... is there a date code on this one? Something like UL on the side of the cap?

Middle one is a 45 Flighter with the original black plastic tail and gold trim mid to late 60's - not often you see the black plastic tail with gold trim. Possibly put together from parts?

Bottom one is a Parker 45 GT (Gold Trim) ... could be any time from early 60's onwards ... the style of ink converter would suggest an earlier one.

This might help you a bit ... http://pencollect.co.uk/45timeline.htm

Personally I love the Parker 45 Flighter Family and am fascinated by all the varieties that are out there ...

Edited by Spikey Mike

I've been trying to sell the lot of 3 on the bay for a month now with zero interest. Going to have to change it up a bit. The info you've given me will help a bunch when I relist them.

Thank You!

John L

The one that intrigues me is the flighter with the black tail and gold trim ... usually the earlier flighter had silver trim with the black tail. A few years later they produced a gold trim with a gold tail but the only ones I have actually seen in this configuration were made up from spare parts much later on ....

I know nothing about Flighters, they are all as I got them. Who knows what was done to them before I got them.

John L

The one that intrigues me is the flighter with the black tail and gold trim ... usually the earlier flighter had silver trim with the black tail. A few years later they produced a gold trim with a gold tail but the only ones I have actually seen in this configuration were made up from spare parts much later on ....

I have two pens with black tails and gold trim. They are as purchased from ebay.

On the flip side, I also have a black tail pen with a gold trim cap but a silver clutch ring (or whatever the ring on a 45 is called). Again, as purchased.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I have two pens with black tails and gold trim.

Me too. One was made in Argentina and the other was made in USA.

My 45 Flighter is without the tailcap, but has no date codes. Represented to me by the seller as late 1960's. (also 14k gold nib)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A 60's 45 Flighter would have had a tail cap, they came in different colours, notably black on the early ones, silver at the end of the 60's and into the 70's as well as gold and a few other colours. (red, blue, maroon, light blue and brown wood grain)

The tail cap disappeared towards the end of the 70's - dating pens started in 1980 - which would indicate that your pen is more likely to come from the late 70's

Thank you guys for the info! I was able to add more info to my listing which hopefully will attract more attention from bidders.

I never thought selling 3 different Flighters as a group would be so..... anti-climactic.

It was nothing but crickets the first 3 times I listed it. We'll see how it goes now that I have much more (and more accurate) info on the pens.

John L