[Help] Getting Back To Fountain Pens After A Long Time, Please Advise.

flummoxed

Hello,

I've been browsing FPN for a year now and finally decided get back to using fountain pens (and hence the new account and the post). My use and experience with foutnain pens is limited to the early use of the easily available Hero, Camlin pens at school in the early '90s (in India). Though I loved the idea of writing with ink and the use of fountain pens, the experience with these pens was not the greatest and drove me to use microtip pens very early on.

Local stationary stores do not seem to stock these pens anymore and I've been looking at FPN to see where I could buy a good starter pen. Thanks to FPN and the very useful reviews I found ASA and their pens (hat tip: [member='arunura'], [member='hari317'] , and [member='a_m'] among others).

I've shortlisted the Sheaffer 100 and Lamy Vista based on my requirements and availability in India at this point in time. I plan to buy either the Gama Kuyil or the Gama Eyas to accompany it.

Here are my requirements and the criteria,

Usage: Daily usage for notes (in meetings) or occasional writing. I fly frequently and would like to carry the pen too.

Budget: Since I am starting out I would like to begin with budget of around 7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png 1500 - 7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png 2000 (~ $ 24 - $ 32) as I'm unsure about the experience from pens that might be available for a lower price (Based on the reviews here and on the subreddit on fountain pens).

Out of the box experience: Given that I am only beginning to use fountain pens, I would like to reduce the amount of work the instrument requires out of the box for a good experience (given my budget). I'd like to avoid getting nibs replaced or grinding, etc. until I am comfortable with them.

Paper: I'd like to be able to write on the paper I use regularily, that is handmade paper (I know that it is not the best for ink), Moleskine, and mostly regular Camlin paper. It is best if I can use both sides of the paper while I write.

Wet/Dry: The one thing I liked with my limited experience was the wetness of the ink on the paper, though it might not be easy considering the paper I regularily use, I'd like a pen that can fall under a wet category.

Nib: I'm not particular about whether it is a Fine, Medium or Broad. All my notes are in English (cursive) and with occasional sketches, so a Medium with some flex would be great!

Here are a few questions,

1. Does either the Sheaffer or the Lamy Vista come with a converter out of the box?
  2. Does anyone know if they leak if carried on the plane?
  3. Do either of these pens flex?
  4. Are there other options within my budget and needs that I might have missed?
  5. Are there any differences between the Gama Kuyil and the Gama Eyas?
  6. As I plan to use these on a daily basis, would they leak if carried around?
  7. Does anyone know where I could buy good cases in India for these pens?

Thanks for the patience in reading a rather long post,

flummoxed

PS: I'm trying to reach ASA Pens to ask them the questions related to the Gama pens but haven't been very successful so far.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flummoxed

• a_m

• hari317

• Algester

1. Does either the Sheaffer or the Lamy Vista come with a converter out of the box?

1 - the Lamy does NOT come with a converter, you have to buy separate

2 - standard plane precaution; load the pen FULL or empty it, carry nib up.

3 - FORGET flex in a modern low cost fountain pen. It is not going to happen (that I know of) from the factory. IMHO, a flex pen is a hinderance for regular writing today, especially for a new user.

6 - a modern pen should NOT leak under normal circumstances with reasonable precautions. If you bounce/jar it around a lot, when carried nib down, then yes it will leak.

The Lamy is good, as you can easily replace/change the nib if you want to try a different nib; anything from XF up to B and 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9 cursive italic.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

1 - the Lamy does NOT come with a converter, you have to buy separate

2 - standard plane precaution; load the pen FULL or empty it, carry nib up.

3 - FORGET flex in a modern low cost fountain pen.  It is not going to happen (that I know of) from the factory.  IMHO, a flex pen is a hinderance for regular writing today, especially for a new user.

6 - a modern pen should NOT leak under normal circumstances with reasonable precautions.  If you bounce/jar it around a lot, when carried nib down, then yes it will leak.

The Lamy is good, as you can easily replace/change the nib if you want to try a different nib; anything from XF up to B and 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9 cursive italic.

Thanks [member='ac12'] , hadn't factored in replacing nibs in the long run. Are those only Lamy nibs or is the Vista standardised for size and can it use other nibs?

Have you take a look at these guys http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/index.html ? They have Gama as well as a whole heap of indian fountain pens, they even have vintage pens if you were interested.You can get almost all of there nib offerings in one of there pens.

I did check them out [member='c4bb0ose'], but they seem to be slightly on the expensive side for the same pens available on other sites. I'm not sure why they have such a price difference though.

Edited by flummoxed

Hello,

I've been browsing FPN for a year now and finally decided get back to using fountain pens (and hence the new account and the post). My use and experience with foutnain pens is limited to the early use of the easily available Hero, Camlin pens at school in the early '90s (in India). Though I loved the idea of writing with ink and the use of fountain pens, the experience with these pens was not the greatest and drove me to use microtip pens very early on.

Local stationary stores do not seem to stock these pens anymore and I've been looking at FPN to see where I could buy a good starter pen. Thanks to FPN and the very useful reviews I found ASA and their pens (hat tip: [member='arunura'], [member='hari317'] , and [member='a_m'] among others).

I've shortlisted the Sheaffer 100 and Lamy Vista based on my requirements and availability in India at this point in time. I plan to buy either the Gama Kuyil or the Gama Eyas to accompany it.

Here are my requirements and the criteria,

Usage: Daily usage for notes (in meetings) or occasional writing. I fly frequently and would like to carry the pen too.

Budget: Since I am starting out I would like to begin with budget of around 7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png 1500 - 7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png 2000 (~ $ 24 - $ 32) as I'm unsure about the experience from pens that might be available for a lower price (Based on the reviews here and on the subreddit on fountain pens).

Out of the box experience: Given that I am only beginning to use fountain pens, I would like to reduce the amount of work the instrument requires out of the box for a good experience (given my budget). I'd like to avoid getting nibs replaced or grinding, etc. until I am comfortable with them.

Paper: I'd like to be able to write on the paper I use regularily, that is handmade paper (I know that it is not the best for ink), Moleskine, and mostly regular Camlin paper. It is best if I can use both sides of the paper while I write.

Wet/Dry: The one thing I liked with my limited experience was the wetness of the ink on the paper, though it might not be easy considering the paper I regularily use, I'd like a pen that can fall under a wet category.

Nib: I'm not particular about whether it is a Fine, Medium or Broad. All my notes are in English (cursive) and with occasional sketches, so a Medium with some flex would be great!

Thanks for the patience in reading a rather long post,

flummoxed

PS: I'm trying to reach ASA Pens to ask them the questions related to the Gama pens but haven't been very successful so far.

Eyas is smaller than the kuyil, shape is obviously different, which you can see from the pics, other than that there is no difference. The stock nib is the same on both.

Forget all this low end sheaffer, lamy etc, ask ASA if they have a Pilot 78G or a Pilot 55C2 to sell to you.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've ordered the Gama Hawk for now!

You needed a pen to awe you and give you the awesomeness.

I must say you have made the absolutely right choice.

My only advice is as you are coming back to FP after long time - so keep away from Fine nib for some months. And once you feel confident only then go for Fine nibs

(Preferably Japanese Fine)

I have heard some great news on Japanese nibbed pens for future from ASA.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

@[member='hari317'] Thanks a lot, I've ordered the Gama Hawk for now!

curious about why the Hawk when you were considering either the Eyas or the Kuyil?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the advice [member='a_m'], I'll remember that. I had a set of calligraphy nibs (unfortunately given away to my cousin) which came with a dip pen a long time ago. I remember that it took me a while before I could get used to the finer and smaller nibs (strangely enough, I found it easier to use the italics nibs).

You needed a pen to awe you and give you the awesomeness.

I must say you have made the absolutely right choice.

My only advice is as you are coming back to FP after long time - so keep away from Fine nib for some months. And once you feel confident only then go for Fine nibs

(Preferably Japanese Fine)

I have heard some great news on Japanese nibbed pens for future from ASA.

Well, my first choice was the Kuyil, but unfortunately it was out of stock and when I spoke to Mr. Subramaniam did mention that it would not be available immediately. He did mention that both the Kuyil and Hawk are pretty similar apart from the exterier design, while the Eyas is the smaller(medium?) version of the Hawk. The many reviews of the Hawk on FPN titled it in its favour, more reviews than the Eyas essentially (though I know more reviewers does not translate to more users and/or it being a better pen).

Mr. Subramaniam was very helpful over the phone, he did mention that he could even modify the pen to have a piston system and change the nib for a reasonable price. I wanted to try this for a while and get comfortable with the pen before I ask for any customizations. [member='prasadvenkat'] has helpfully pointed out Ranga pens too, I'll contact Mr. Kandan once I get a little more comfortable using FPs.

curious about why the Hawk when you were considering either the Eyas or the Kuyil?

Mr. Subramaniam was very helpful over the phone, he did mention that he could even modify the pen to have a piston system and change the nib for a reasonable price. I wanted to try this for a while and get comfortable with the pen before I ask for any customizations.

This is quite interesting. Never heard before that ASA was offering piston filler customisation on its ebonites. Though in my view a piston filler without ink window is not a good choice. And if Hawk gets an ink window, the whole beauty would vanish.

As to nibs, in a friction fit setup, you can always change nibs to your choice. I have fitted my Hawk with a Kaigelu nib - had posted that pic some months back on FPN. Compared to the default nib, the Kangaroo on nib looks great!

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

The Lamy nibs are interchangeable between most of their pens (Safari, Vista, Al Star, cp1, studio, etc.)

These are Lamy only nibs. You can't use other nibs on a Lamy, and you can't use the Lamy nibs on other pens.

The Lamy 2000 uses a different nib from the Safari/Vista nibs, and thus is NOT interchangeable.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

This is quite interesting. Never heard before that ASA was offering piston filler customisation on its ebonites. Though in my view a piston filler without ink window is not a good choice. And if Hawk gets an ink window, the whole beauty would vanish.

As to nibs, in a friction fit setup, you can always change nibs to your choice. I have fitted my Hawk with a Kaigelu nib - had posted that pic some months back on FPN. Compared to the default nib, the Kangaroo on nib looks great!

@[member='a_m'], True, I'm not sure I'd like a Hawk with am ink window. I'd like to use Hawkit for a while before I think about customizing or modifiying nibs.

The Lamy nibs are interchangeable between most of their pens (Safari, Vista, Al Star, cp1, studio, etc.)

These are Lamy only nibs.  You can't use other nibs on a Lamy, and you can't use the Lamy nibs on other pens.

The Lamy 2000 uses a different nib from the Safari/Vista nibs, and thus is NOT interchangeable.

@[member='ac12'], Aha, thanks for the clarification!

Does either the Sheaffer or the Lamy Vista come with a converter out of the box?

Answer depends on where you live in my country paying 30USD gets you the pen the nib of choice and a converter, the cheaper options is the Lamy ABC and Lamy Nexx also comes with a cartridge in my country (philippines, yes a nib of choice from our bookstores just not gold)

Does anyone know if they leak if carried on the plane?

some will some dont, but sheaffer and lamy if flying store them nib up

Do either of these pens flex?

There is no such thing as a dependable modern flex pen not unless you get a properly modified noodler's and probably Omas extra flesible nib with a good modified ebonite feed (which comes with the pens at that price points)

Are there other options within my budget and needs that I might have missed?

if your in India your choices are vast really...

Are there any differences between the Gama Kuyil and the Gama Eyas?

Size...

As I plan to use these on a daily basis, would they leak if carried around?

Eyedroppers depending if you get a good one with a good feed Wality pens as I find out evaporate ink like mad and are burping sometimes

Does anyone know where I could buy good cases in India for these pens?

ASA pens?

Edited by Algester

@[member='Algester'], come to think of it, you are the only person to answer all those specific questions! I did eventually settle on an Indian FP sold by ASA Pens(Gama Hawk). The reviews seem to suggest that this pens have very little or no burping (so far for the reviewers).

Maybe I should edit my post to add that I did eventually buy the Gama Hawk.

PS: I can't seem to edit that post!

Edited by flummoxed

The reviews seem to suggest that this pens have very little or no burping (so far for the reviewers).

Till now I have found only two Eyedroppers that write till the end. One is Gama Hawk. All other Gama pens start burp at some point. I have considered the Hawk to be more as a miracle.

The other ED is obviously the Athlete & the reason for its not burping seems more logical & explainable compared to the Hawk.

I put my savings to test

for your other questions Lamy uses the same nib on all their pens which makes ease of collecting and use except for the Lamy 2000 which uses a different nib all together so if you like a Safari with a gold nib, your forced to either get a gold nib (someway somehow) or buy a Lamy pen with a gold nib cheapest probably being the Studio, accent, CP1 palladium, Dialog 3 (in increasing price order). Except with the persona (discontinued on 2005) which has a sheaffer triumph looking nib

Till now I have found only two Eyedroppers that write till the end. One is Gama Hawk. All other Gama pens start burp at some point. I have considered the Hawk to be more as a miracle.

The other ED is obviously the Athlete & the reason for its not burping seems more logical & explainable compared to the Hawk.

@[member='a_m'], guess I hope the pen I have ordered does not burp too! It should be shipped on Friday and I hope to get mine over the weekend or on Monday.

for your other questions Lamy uses the same nib on all their pens which makes ease of collecting and use except for the Lamy 2000 which uses a different nib all together so if you like a Safari with a gold nib, your forced to either get a gold nib (someway somehow) or buy a Lamy pen with a gold nib cheapest probably being the Studio, accent, CP1 palladium, Dialog 3 (in increasing price order). Except with the persona (discontinued on 2005) which has a sheaffer triumph looking nib

@[member='Algester'], thanks for the clarification, [member='ac12'] did mention the same thing in the response earlier.

It's very good to know that you have selected a Hawk, it's there in my "Next buy" list.

Also I'm glad that you didn't select Sheaffer 100. Personally the polished grip section is a deal breaker.

What nib grade did you select ?

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

It's very good to know that you have selected a Hawk, it's there in my "Next buy" list.

Also I'm glad that you didn't select Sheaffer 100. Personally the polished grip section is a deal breaker.

What nib grade did you select ?

I didn't know you could select the nib!

I didn't know you could select the nib!

I find it strange that different types of nibs are listed with different pens. And not all nibs with similar pens.

I think apart from stock nib you can choose Jinhao nib & Bock nib (Medium & Broad)

Even some of the bit smaller nibs fit like Wality & Oliver (similar to Kaigelu size). But usually they are fine.Though Wality does come in Medium also.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264504-new-pens-on-asapens/?p=2968979

I put my savings to test