Questions About A Mb 236

Daddy-O

Hi all

My $20 MB 236 arrived today - a snap Fleabay purchase. The pen is in poor condition as expected but it does come with a very nice 5 1/2 14 ct nib. The filling mechanism is seized and I'd like to know how it should come apart. The twist knob on the end just spins on the shaft. There appears to be a pin that should secure it.

The barrel is damaged, the clip is missing as is the star at the end of the cap and so it really is a parts pen but I would like to have a go at getting some bits of it working. Also, should the barrel have a fixed wall with a centre hole for the shaft half way along or is this a gasket that has welded itself in place? Even thought the barrel is already damaged, I want to avoid harming it further.

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daddy-O

• slippery when wet

• sunnerd

• bmwboris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some pictures

There is also a round nut that goes onto the end of the shaft - not shown. I found it when I removed the section.

post-115584-0-25990100-1419297333.jpgpost-115584-0-60027600-1419297343.jpgpost-115584-0-74864500-1419297358_thumb.jpgpost-115584-0-49241600-1419297371.jpg

The round nut you've mentioned is for the purpose of retaining the cork seal to the end of the piston. I don't think I have seen a 236 before, could be a good project to sink your teeth into. The wall you talk about in the barrel sounds like the old cork seal stuck inside the barrel. The piston might be your biggest challenge should it be broken.

Edited by slippery when wet

Hey Daddy-o,

Great pick up for $20!!!

I'm sure the members on the forum with more knowledge than I will chime in, but I would be checking the nib as well. I don't know of any period where the 236 came out with a 5 1/2 size nib- hence the 6 in 236

I take your point about the nib. I did a search as well which revealed no information. I'm no expert but it is clearly a good quality 14 ct nib with all the MB markings and Made in Hamburg at the base.

It has cleaned up well enough given how it arrived. The biggest problem is the crack in the barrel. I made a new cork gasket and installed it. It works quite well although the telescopic piston only comes out one section. From what I can tell this is a fairly common problem in the older pens. I didn't want to muck around with it too much so I just cleaned and lubricated it. I'll probably never find a clip for it. Still, an interesting addition to the collection.

post-115584-0-93377500-1419383166.jpgpost-115584-0-52817400-1419383174.jpg

Clips do come up on eBay, you just need to be patient. Nice old pen and I would imagine the nib to be a nice writer.

Interesting find! The Roesler book did state that the 236 should come with a nib of that engraving, albeit there was no mention of 5 1/2. I got a pen with the 5 nib and the markings are very similar to yours. It's quite possible yours is a custom nib that the purchaser requested, or there are other reasons. Enjoy the pen. It looks like a good writer!

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Needs some work but very interesting pen.

As stated before I've never seen the 5 1/2 before so thanks for sharing the pictures.

You might have to replace the barrel or have it repaired (e.g. maxpens or fountainbel); it would be worth it since the 236 dord not turn up that often.

Cheers

Michael

Just to correct an error: The nib has the word 'Hamburg' at the base and not made in Hamburg as I originally stated. The only other reference to a 5 1/2 nib I've seen is on this forum about a month ago. Another forum member here in Sydney was considering buying a 236 in original condition and it too had a 5 1/2 nib. Maybe a coincidence?

Anyway, I really like the substantial feel of this pen. Maybe it would be worth getting it restored.

No coincidence- just a small world.

That was me looking at buying a 236 with an "incorrect" nib from somewhere else (not eBay).

I posted the thread as I wasn't sure if the pen was totally correct. I'm not saying that it is incorrect, but I just wanted to ask other members on the forum who have far more knowledge for their opinions. In the end I decided not to buy it. I'm just fussy that way.

Sunnerds comment may be right also and seems reasonable.

Slippery when wet makes a good point also. Nibs from this era have a different feel to the modern ones, so it should write really nice. And all for $20 bucks!!!

It's actually quite simple then. They did make a 5 1/2 nib, probably to supplement the 5 or 6 nib. Who knows for sure, as I don't believe they kept full production records, and Roesler book needs an errata inserted. :)

As for that PL 236, really really nice pen. :puddle:

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

I had a similar situation. A 236 that was bought at the Hannover Trade Fair in 1947 and used and abused for many years. I bought the pen as a wreck in 2010 and set it off to Francis Goosens who reworked and improved the pen to create something very special.

Edited by Beechwood

I had a similar situation. A 236 that was bought at the Hannover Trade Fair in 1947 and used and abused for many years. I bought the pen as a wreck in 2010 and set it off to Francis Goosens who reworked and improved the pen to create something very special.

Beautiful pen - thanks for sharing!