Vac Blind Cap Inserts - What Do They Tell Us?

jonperry

My family of lockdown Vacs includes a brown (date code .17.), silver (date code 8.) and burgundy (no date code). The two with date codes have a threaded metal insert for the blind cap but the undated burgundy example has no metal insert and the threads are machined directly into the plastic.

Can the blind cap give us a clue about the date of manufacture of the burgundy Vac? Why would this blind cap be different from the others? Why no date code on the barrel? Is this indicative of a factory repair or replacement part?

Eagerly awaiting your expertise....

post-23423-0-95118500-1419280681_thumb.jpg

post-23423-0-61518500-1419280695_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonperry

• Lazard 20

• ANM

• Huxley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm... interesting. My @1936 Silver Oversize lockdown (two tone arrow nib marked "Parker USA") Is like your burgundy no date; no date impint on the barrel and the blind cap has the threads cut directly into the plastic. I also have a junior lockdown in silver that *appears* to be the same vintage (double striped jewels) and again has no date imprint and the blind cap has the plastic threads.

Can't comment on the threads but for the date, It might have worn off. I have one with no noticeable date but there is 17 on the pencil that came with it. So being pretty sure that is the date of the pen, I went back and I think I could barely make out a 7 under strong magnification and strong light.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Can the blind cap give us a clue about the date of manufacture of the burgundy Vac? Why would this blind cap be different from the others? Why no date code on the barrel? Is this indicative of a factory repair or replacement part?

They began dating barrels in mid 1934. The previous lack this property.

My family of lockdown Vacs includes a brown (date code .17.), silver (date code 8.) and burgundy (no date code). The two with date codes have a threaded metal insert for the blind cap but the undated burgundy example has no metal insert and the threads are machined directly into the plastic.

Can the blind cap give us a clue about the date of manufacture of the burgundy Vac?

In my observations of several hundred lockdown vacumatics I would say that the change of threaded metal, imprint with "PAT" to without "PAT", and less width bottom feather clip occurs at the end of 1935, so if it was not simultaneous, was very close in time.

I hope these pictures help to understand dates and scope of changes.

http://s29.postimg.org/qurow1dt3/PARKER_VACUMATIC_IMPRINT_LAZARD.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/i7ivxq2ol/PARKER_VACUMATIC_LOCKDOWN_CLIP_LAZARD.jpg

Footnote. The imprint with "USA" not centered can be seen, although occasionally, in the 40s. and even more rarely, you can see some specimens with USA PAT but they are exceptions being ringed laminated vacs ´40 generality printed with USA centered without PAT.

Edited by Lazard 20

Thanks for the replies, and in particular the highly detailed information from you Lazard.

This burgundy Vac has the PAT imprint and the lowest feathers on the clip do indeed measure an even 5mm (the other two in the photo measure 4.5mm) With the absence of a date code and the evidence above I can reasonably claim this pen was made prior to mid 1934.

Outstanding detective work folks! It's a privilege for me to be among such knowledgeable experts.

Thank you!

You are welcome.

Indeed, it's fun to beat a beer to a friend, who does not know this circumstances, betting for:

A. That Vacumatic lockdown is older than another without looking at the imprint, so you look at the clip feather and... Voilá! or

B. That Vacumatic lockdown is older than another looking the imprint but hiding the code date with fingers, so you look if imprint have PAT or not and... Voilá!
, or

C. If the vacs have the same clip and imprint ... you say that, at that time, you are not get inspired or that these two vacs do not transmit enough telepathic waves :)... and he has to present other two.

In any case serves to laugh a bit with (next to) a friend.

http://s28.postimg.org/rvh4lrrq5/standard_lockdown_Lazard.jpg

Footnotes.

This knowledge would help too in some cases when we have doubts about possible "wedding" (not orthodox cap-barrel combinations),

In '40 we can see again, occasionally "USA" not centered, in the corner, and, more rarely, with "PAT" newly, but it is not problem because in any case between a lockdown and other ´40 vacumatic with extended type or single jewel there is not doubt which is older.

Edited by Lazard 20

Great game idea Lazard! And thanks for the additional Vacumatic eye candy.

PS - I'm looking for a user lockdown standard in green to round out my little family above. If anyone has one that they would be willing to part with to a good home, please let me know (or, let me know who I should contact).

Thanks again for the invaluable info. Merry Christmas!

Edited by jonperry

Hmm... interesting. My @1936 Silver Oversize lockdown (two tone arrow nib marked "Parker USA") Is like your burgundy no date; no date impint on the barrel and the blind cap has the threads cut directly into the plastic. I also have a junior lockdown in silver that *appears* to be the same vintage (double striped jewels) and again has no date imprint and the blind cap has the plastic threads.

Everything indicates that they are pre-dated and previous to 1935 (as you can see in this differents fpens in late 1934 were already dated)

By the way, if anyone has any vac image dated earlier or equal than "44" -I have seen "34" but I don´t have pictures- I would be very grateful if you uploap here, so I could add it to my Parker´s imprint e-collection.

http://s9.postimg.org/w8q70kw4v/1934_4_T.jpg

Edited by Lazard 20