Why Do We Always Want Just One More Pen?

The Blue Knight

I can't deny like most of us I have more then enough pens already some which that don't find there way into rotation very often either.

However I have been slowing down the acquisition of new pens down dramatically over the last 8 months and haven't bought one in the last six and been giving away pens quicker then I have been buying them for the first time in 18 months. But the pen bug has started to surface once again and I really want to buy either a Diplomat Esteem or Balance. But I know give it anywhere between a week and 6 months I will back tralling the internet trying to dig reviews and discounts on yet anther pen.

Is there any end to this madness?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sasha Royale

• Guernseytim

• LionRoar

• ac12

Not really, I told myself, save up for a new XB-One.. but ended up buying two monteverdes... so a short answer again, is no.

-C.D

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I hope so. But it hasn't happened yet.

I have more than 50 pens. More than I can write with. A few haven't been inked yet. I'm happy with the pens I have, I could easily settle on an EDC (every day carry) pen. But the obsession to get yet another pen is one I constantly struggle with. I convince myself that this next one will be my last one, that it will fulfill all my pen expectations. Then, with the ultimate pen, I'll be done buying.

But that's just a ruse I use to justify a pen purchase.

We settle for one more pen, when what we really want is several more pens, but significant other is already looking askance at the collector. ;)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

It's a common human failing, but a failing nevertheless because beyond a few pens to write with, having more pens will not make your life any better, and in fact will make your life worse by complicating it (how to store all those pens?) and wasting money that could be used to save for your retirement.

The same applies to all other material goods that people waste their money on.

We settle for one more pen, when what we really want is several more pens, but significant other is already looking askance at the collector. ;)

Is that sort of like cognitive dissonance? I might need to get a therapist. :lticaptd:

Basically, NO ! The heart wants what the heart wants.

May you always have much joy, and a little madness.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Can't ever have enough.

I tried resisting but today ended up ordering a Pelikan Twist (curious as its a cheap pen that was mentioned in a Pelikan student thread).

I might need to get a therapist. :lticaptd:

Excuse me. What am I supposed to learn from " the rapist" ? :lticaptd:

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

For us, another fp is like another dog to anyone who owns serves the needs of at least one greyhound! There's a reason that owners of greyhounds call themselves 'chippers' (hint: famous ad tag line from Lays....)

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

It's a common human failing, but a failing nevertheless because beyond a few pens to write with, having more pens will not make your life any better, and in fact will make your life worse by complicating it (how to store all those pens?) and wasting money that could be used to save for your retirement.

The same applies to all other material goods that people waste their money on.

hmmmmm. I have pondered this a lot. Am I just stealing money from our retirement? My solution has to been to only buy pens at bargain prices and that will have decent resale value in 20 years. I keep them all in good shape and save the boxes. Theoretically, when and if we actually need the money I have spent on pens, I can liquidate it.

That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

This is a common human thing, and not just with fountain pens.

I will never need another one, but I know I'll end up buying more. My solution is to keep giving away pens so the collection stays at a reasonable size.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Once you head down the slippery slope, there is no hope...

There will always be "one more pen to get."

Or as has been said "n+1."

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

There is no end to the madness. At least not for me there hasn't been. So far my collection is small but my ambition is great. Oh, how I want that Namiki Custom 823 because I don't have a vacuum filler or that Pelikan 400+ because it's German and I would like to compare it to the Namiki. I think it is comparing the different pens to each other that is interesting, because that's how you learn about them. A day that you learn something new about fountain pens is a good day for me.

Pens - Lamys: 2000, AL-Star, Safari; Reform 1745s; TWSBI 540s

Inks - Diamine Midnight Blue, Liberty Elysium, Perle Noire, Yama-Budo

Paper - Cranes & Co, Fabriano Medioevalis, G Lalo, Rhodia, Strathmore

It is not limited to pens. In my house are 146 pairs of shoes and 89 handbags and they are certainly not mine so I don't experience any guilt in this respect :) (On the other hand, 7 bass guitars and 57 camera's (all film) are mine ;) )

We might all be looking for the perfect pen and when we have found and purchased it, we decide to try another paper or ink and the search starts all over again.

I have enough fountain pens to last several lifetimes, and the kicker is, I hardly ever write anything pen to paper.

I just fell in love with fountain pens and I keep buying them to add to my collection (mostly Esterbrooks and Parkers). I wish I knew why I keep buying, so I could fix it and stop doing it! Lucky for me my taste in fountain pens hasn't reached the really high dollar stuff, yet.

Just a few more Esties and a couple more Parkers and I should be done....... yeah, right. *rolls eyes at myself*

John L

I read something a while back about people being more happy about something when they look forward to getting it. Trying to find the relevant science behind it now.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

hmmmmm. I have pondered this a lot. Am I just stealing money from our retirement? My solution has to been to only buy pens at bargain prices and that will have decent resale value in 20 years. I keep them all in good shape and save the boxes. Theoretically, when and if we actually need the money I have spent on pens, I can liquidate it.

That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Whether you are truly wasting money better saved for your retirement depends on how much you are spending on pens relative to your income. Only monks and nuns lead a truly ascetic life. A $100 a year on pens or even $500 isn't that much compared to how much most Americans spend on hobbies and other frivolous spending.

However, if you owe money on your credit cards and have no savings, I'd highly recommend that you either spend less or figure out how to earn more money.

And the cost of some pens however is pretty hard to for me to understand. $1000 or more on one pen? (Although I spent more than that for a MacBook Air which I didn't really need and will be obsolete surely in a few years.)