2015 Philly Pen Show

avlisyar

I'm thinking of driving down for the day on Saturday for my first pen show, sure it's 4 hours each way but who cares right?

This is a good one to go to for a first timer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• rjschwabe

• avlisyar

• StrawberryJam

Just learned that this is where my hubby is taking me for our 15th anniversary weekend getaway. We will be there Saturday. I am so excited and a bit surprised since he has about as much interest in my pen habit as I do in his comic books LOL

While you are at the show you can direct your husband to Fat Jack's Comicrypt on 20th and Sansom Streets - a longish walk from the show hotel.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

I really wish I could go. Have fun everyone.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Does anyone know/remember the vendors/people who they have bought stuff from at the Philly Pen Show. I ask cause I do get overwhelmed/slightly intimidated at the show.

I know that I always visit:

• Richard Binder's table for pen selection and to sign up for nib work. (Bought a Namiki Falcon last year)
  • Susan Wirth's table to see her current selection (Bought a Waterman Phileas 3 years ago)
  • Anderson Pen's table I've bought the most at (Lamy AL Star, Lamy Logo, Pilot Prera, ink and other supplies)
  • Philadelphia Pen Club.

I've bought other things from other vendors, but those are the ones who stand out for me. All are friendlly, helpful, and helped me to learn a bit about pens (even if it was only the ones they were selling).

Any others?

Your list is very similar to mine!

There are some artisan makers of pen cases / watch winders that I love to look at.

I will be at the Philly Pen Club table Friday afternoon. I'll be there to promote the club, and I will have pens/parts for sale...

Stop by to say "Hello"! :)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I just got home and here is the damage:

1. One pen fixed by Richard - Richard is a true genius. I received a Montegrappa as a gift. Loved the look and feel of the pen - but it just didn't work. Sent it to Kenro and they sent it back to Italy. I got it back - but it still didn't work. Richard was my only hope and did he ever come through!
  2. TWSBI 580 (Anderson Pens) - Didn't have one before and I wanted to see what the hype was about plus I needed some silicone grease to address a stiff piston on my Pelikan. (Thanks for the how-to article @sargetalon)
  3. Iroshizuku Kon Peki (Anderson Pens) - First time I have bought this ink and it seems like one that you have to buy at least once in your life
  4. Diamine Orange (Anderson Pens) - I didn't have an orange and Diamine inks are so affordable
  5. Field Notes Arts & Sciences and Clairfontaine Life. Unplugged Pocket Notebooks 2 pack (Anderson Pens) - Just because
  6. Franklin Cristoph A5 Notebook Cover and A5 Firma Flex Journal - I went in search of the Midori but didn't see it. This seemed like a pretty solid alternative.

The only item I was looking for that I couldn't find was a Noodler's flex pen (Ahab or Konrad). (Well technically, the Midori as well - but I found a reasonable alternative.)

Looking forward to the weekend to play with my new things.

Thanks for listening - Raj

Edited by rajesh06

Is anyone going on Sunday? That's when I will be there.

Also for those of you who have visited already, are there vendors that sell pen boxes/chests (on the order of 36-72 pens)?

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Is anyone going on Sunday? That's when I will be there.

Also for those of you who have visited already, are there vendors that sell pen boxes/chests (on the order of 36-72 pens)?

I will be there on Sunday. I'm going to get there early to sign up for the writing class.

As for pen boxes/chests, I definitely have seen them there before. They have been on the pricy side, but I have seen them.

i was there on friday - it was great:

just talking with susan wirth was worth the trip from nyc for me - amazing person.

fwiw, i got a lot of nib work from mr. binder and linda from indy pen dance. richard is well known of course but linda is great too! check her out for sure.

unfortunately, bryant (i.e. chatterly) took my money rather quickly and then i was broke again - bad man :(

also noteworthy: the philly cheesesteak in the sheraton bar is surprisingly not bad!

end of report.

I spent all my money!

My second Phila pen show and I felt more comfortable this time around. I snagged some good deals. I met and spoke with some good vendors and good visitors. Everybody is very nice at the show.

I purchased a used Aurora Ipsilon M nib in red at an absurd price. I finally got a chance to see and hold the Conklin Duragraph that I thought was so cool..I did not buy it! Once I got my hands on it I realized it is a very large pen. It looked better in the pictures.

To me anyway.

I also got a chance to handle all of the Monteverde line. They have a lot of pen styles. I finally settled on a Monteverde Prima Black Swirl with a Fine nib. That one just felt the best in my hands.

I managed to get some good deals on Private Reserve inks, J. Herbin inks, and snagged a bottle of Noodlers Rome is burning for $5.

I would have liked to see more Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor representation at the show.

I would have stayed longer but my right foot is in a sprain boot and hobling around with my cane became painful.

Go to the show !!!!

Enjoy it.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

I'm on call this weekend so getting to the show was a pipe dream but I was able to get in at 4p and catch the last hour today. I was thrown off at first because it was on a different floor than usual. I had some great discussions with a few vendors. Unfortunately, no birds to bring home to the flock but that's better for my marriage anyway. Still, great fun and I'm already looking forward to next year.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

A mighty good day at the pen show. Bought a small bullet-shaped Pilot pen from the '60s that I kinda fell in love with from Joe Engel, and some Noodler's Black Ink from the Andersons (because I never had it and it came highly recommended from Margana). Also sat and wrote with 20 different nibs to compare/contrast, a really fun experiment for a novice like myself. Had great chats about fascinating bits of ink history and I'm psyched to go back tomorrow.

Nice day in Philly! I came home with a black Sheaffer Connaisseur, a Bexley Owner's Club 2009 in black and blue swirled Ebonite, a couple of inks (R&K Scabiosa and Organics Studio Mercury), a few note pads, and some micromesh smoothing pads. Yeah, I spent too much money, but it's not going to do me any good when I'm dead and buried!

Larry

So here's my report from my first pen show!

Woke up at 5am to start my 4 hours journey and made inside at exactly 10.

I probably lapped the place 20 or more times, seeing new things with each loop. My first purchase was a Parker 45 in the original box with the original squeeze converter for $10! Hell of a deal.

Next I purchased my first Sheaffer pen with a beautiful 2 tone nib. I had Tim Girdler turn it into a cursive italic before i realized how fine the nib was. The custom grind has very subtle line variation and is probably the finest italic I've ever seen.

Finally, the great Binder did a cursive italic grind on my Lamy 2000 that is simply amazing.

Overall it was a great day with some great finds! I also grabbed a bottle of Noodlers Eel Turq and a platinum preppy.

http://i.imgur.com/JkyEiJW.png

I had wonderful time (again), I think this is my favorite show, though I have yet to do the DC Supershow. It seemed to me that the lines for pen repair and nib adjustment were not that long this year, then again I counted four repair persons on hand (the Binders, the Zorns, Tim Girdler and Jim Baer) so perhaps that had something to do with it. Jim Baer re-sacked one of my pens on site and took another (a Sheaffer vac-fill with a very balky plunger) back to his workshop for repair. I highly recommend Jim to anyone looking for a knowledgeable and capable craftsman; he is also a heck of a nice guy. Speaking of nice guys, Ron Zorn adjusted the clip of my big Delta Oro and refused to take a penny, I know it was a quick repair but he does have to earn a living. I've a few more pens that I am going to send his way shortly. A lot of other good people spent time to show me their pens and patiently answering my questions, even when it was apparent that I was not going to buy anything. I did grab a lovely standard sized Eversharp Skyline for my collection and also a bottle of Aurora Black from the chaps at the FPH booth. My only regret was that the Fountain Pen Hospital was not selling any bags of miscellaneous pens parts and fixer uppers. I guess they finally cleared out their basement. All in all an excellent way to spend a bright but chilly mid-winter day.

Saturday was a good day at the show. As sargetalon mentioned,

the show was on the top floor which was different from previous

years. The show seemed a little smaller than last year and the

absence of Edison Pens was obvious as you walked around. There

did seem to be some new vendors that I did not recognize from

previous years.

Seemed that the three (3) Nibmeisters (Richard Binder, Linda Kennedy

and Tim Girdler) had a consistent flow of people as did Ron Zorn and

Jim Baer.

A shout out to earthdawn for the Philadelphia Show bookmarks! Great idea!

I was there for one pen and fortunately snagged it as soon as I got there.

The Chatterly DolceVita Fusion Star in Circo Matte finish with a Fusion Stub.

The matte finish on this pen feels really good in the hand as does the overall size.

Bryant seems to be taking money with regularity at this show. Last year, it was the

Chatterly Fusion 82.

I got a chance to see and feel the new Conklin All American pen in Tortoiseshell

thanks to Ken Jones from Jaffa. The pictures that have been posted don't due

this color justice. It is on my next to buy list. Supposedly due out by the end of

the month.

Thanks to Bert Oser for starting the year off with a super show!

EVERYONE going to the pen show. BE VERY CAREFUL, as the roads going to Philadelphia are a sheet of ice due to the freezing rain. Check the roads going to the city before you leave. We all want to get there early to beat the crowd, get on a nibmeister's list early, and get the best deals. But no one wants to have to spend their pen money on your car! :)

Be careful out there.