• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• rjschwabe

• avlisyar

• StrawberryJam

If anyone going on Saturday is interested in learning Coptic stitch binding, or single sheet binding, let me know, and I'll bring materials to show how to do it.

Ooh - yes please! Just finished reading TMLee's epic journey and can't wait to learn more!

Ooh - yes please! Just finished reading TMLee's epic journey and can't wait to learn more!

It's really easy once your fingers get used to the movements.

I find it satisfying and very relaxing making books.

I can't wait to finally share the techniques with someone.

I was seriously thinking of doing this show, but the flights are very heavy. I will for sure be at the ATL pen show. If I do get a chance to visit PHL, I will see you there, but I will only be a weekender visiting, no table. May bring a few spares. great thread, thank you. Happy New Year to everyone.

" The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. But time and chance happens to them all. Evil falls suddenly. Who can say when it falls? "

Jules! Let's do lunch!

Do you know if Marta's goin?

yes, let's!

i'll find out about Marta

... she'll be there saturday too!

Edited by penultress

I will be there, probably on Saturday. I want a Lamy balloon. I am still looking for a great refillable roller. Think there's a chance I will find one there? I just read a review of the best hot choloate places in philly. That might be my lunch plan.

I will be there, probably on Saturday. I want a Lamy balloon. I am still looking for a great refillable roller. Think there's a chance I will find one there? I just read a review of the best hot choloate places in philly. That might be my lunch plan.

Please tell me that Lamy gives out real, helium balloons. I would go just for that! :D

For those of you who have gotten nibwork done at these shows, should/do I need to sign up in advance? I assume I need to clean out my pen before bringing it for work as well? (I have a Visconti 'stub'-like nib that I bought off someone that needs work). I was planning on going either Saturday or Sunday -- which day is better?

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I'll be there on Saturday...probably arriving around the opening bell and sticking around until mid-afternoon. Philly was my first pen show and this will be my third visit. I'm looking forward to it!

As mentioned above, if you're going, bring money...lots of it and preferably cash. Some dealers take credit cards, but not all. I also suspect that better deals can be had for cash than credit.

Larry

Please tell me that Lamy gives out real, helium balloons. I would go just for that! :D

For those of you who have gotten nibwork done at these shows, should/do I need to sign up in advance? I assume I need to clean out my pen before bringing it for work as well? (I have a Visconti 'stub'-like nib that I bought off someone that needs work). I was planning on going either Saturday or Sunday -- which day is better?

I would recommend that you arrive early and signup.

Last check showed that Richard Binder will be there

and he is always booked. You also have Linda from

Indy Pen Dance (she studied under Richard Binder)

and Tim Girdler. As for the day, Saturday or Sunday:

Saturday is always fairly crowded at the show. I have

never been there on a Sunday so cannot help with

how crowded it would be.

Yes, always clean out your pen so whoever works on it doesn't get an eyeful of ink!

I would recommend that you arrive early and signup.

Last check showed that Richard Binder will be there

and he is always booked. You also have Linda from

Indy Pen Dance (she studied under Richard Binder)

and Tim Girdler. As for the day, Saturday or Sunday:

Saturday is always fairly crowded at the show. I have

never been there on a Sunday so cannot help with

how crowded it would be.

Thanks for the advice. A question about how signups work - are they for the "day of" or for the entire weekend? Like, if I want to get nibwork done from the famous Richard Binder, do I need to sign up on Friday for, say, a Saturday time slot?

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments and advice. I've never been to a pen show so I'm excited about this!

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Thanks for the advice. A question about how signups work - are they for the "day of" or for the entire weekend? Like, if I want to get nibwork done from the famous Richard Binder, do I need to sign up on Friday for, say, a Saturday time slot?

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments and advice. I've never been to a pen show so I'm excited about this!

Generally new day = new list.

Pen Shows: What to Know

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Generally new day = new list.

Pen Shows: What to Know

Last year (or maybe the year before) I attended the show on Sunday. I got there about 1 hour after the show opened, and did my best to find Richard Binder first, to sign up for nibwork done. When I put my name on the list, they told me that a 'few' people were holdovers from Saturday, who were willing to come back on Sunday to get the work done. This probably was a bigger problem, as he was the only nib-meister there. I think there are 2-3 places that do nib work.

So, general strategy. Get there early and plan on a 90 minute - 2 hour wait (you may get lucky and it's less). If you buy from them, they usually bump you ahead of others, but I don't know what they are bringing this year.

I'm planning on visiting Richard myself. And was disappointed to learn that they closed their retail shop :(

I emailed with Bert Oser of Bertram's Inkwell and the calligraphy class tickets are on sale at the door. He says there is lots of room in the class so getting a ticket shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone who has attended in year's past tell me what the highlights are? Can I get good deals on pens or other calligraphic supplies? Are things like Rhodia we books and clairefontaine paper at a good price?

Thanks!

Matt

To get a good deal on pens, bring cash and hone your barter/negotiating skills. They can always say no, and you can always walk away. Remember these are private dealers who know what their inventory and bottom line is. For good deals, you can talk to the people at the Philadelphia Pen Club table, who are usually selling (maybe trading... who knows) their own personal fountain pens. I purchased a Pilot Volex from one member for a very low price.

To get a good deal on paper product, plan on buying quantities. There are many places who will sell, let's just say Rhodia Web Notebooks as an example, $20.00 for 1/$55.00 for 3. And certainly if you buy more, they will be more apt to negotiate.

I don't know if there is a bargain to be found with ink. The prices are already pretty good. But who knows.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/0114152234-1.jpg

"If any one wants to get a hold of me on Saturday..."

Just learned that this is where my hubby is taking me for our 15th anniversary weekend getaway. We will be there Saturday. I am so excited and a bit surprised since he has about as much interest in my pen habit as I do in his comic books LOL

I'm thinking of driving down for the day on Saturday for my first pen show, sure it's 4 hours each way but who cares right?

http://i.imgur.com/JkyEiJW.png

Does anyone know/remember the vendors/people who they have bought stuff from at the Philly Pen Show. I ask cause I do get overwhelmed/slightly intimidated at the show.

I know that I always visit:

• Richard Binder's table for pen selection and to sign up for nib work. (Bought a Namiki Falcon last year)
  • Susan Wirth's table to see her current selection (Bought a Waterman Phileas 3 years ago)
  • Anderson Pen's table I've bought the most at (Lamy AL Star, Lamy Logo, Pilot Prera, ink and other supplies)
  • Philadelphia Pen Club.

I've bought other things from other vendors, but those are the ones who stand out for me. All are friendlly, helpful, and helped me to learn a bit about pens (even if it was only the ones they were selling).

Any others?