What Glue Is Used For Nib Unit To Grip Attachment?

Inknoob

My Jinhao x750's nib unit was de-glued from the inner section of the grip. I was trying to get the nib out and instead got the entire unit out unfortunately. It doesn't really screw back in and at the moment I can literally pull it out by just gripping the nib. What kind of adhesive should I buy to make sure it sticks back in securely?

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inknoob

• mhosea

• Tweel

• Icywolfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a sleeve for the nib and feed that came out, or just the feed? The feed itself shouldn't be glued into the pen.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I just used super glue and I have a feeling that they did too. Shellac may do too.

Any specific brand of super glue or anything I can find?

@Tweel, the cylindrical piece that holds the feed and nib was unstuck from the grip section is what I meant.

I am not sure what came apart for you. The nib and feed of the x750 detaches easily.

Though not recommended for frequent removal, just grasp the nib and feed firmly

(I wrapped it with a rubber band.), and pull straight out. Re-align the nib and feed, and

the nib-feed assembly with the hole, and push straight back in.

It is a tight, friction fit, that can be worn loose by too many of such assaults. So, don't

do it a lot. It is not intended for frequent removal.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am not sure what came apart for you. The nib and feed of the x750 detaches easily.

Though not recommended for frequent removal, just grasp the nib and feed firmly

(I wrapped it with a rubber band.), and pull straight out. Re-align the nib and feed, and

the nib-feed assembly with the hole, and push straight back in.

It is a tight, friction fit, that can be worn loose by too many of such assaults. So, don't

do it a lot. It is not intended for frequent removal.

I think he means the collar or unit part which the nib and feed goes inside of.

#Nope

Yep, the collar unit. I was switching nibs in and out like the pen was meant for it, not a good idea it seems. I'll get some super glue tomorrow, hopefully I get the right one to keep it together.

Most often, when you are convinced that superglue is just what you need to fix a pen.

You're wrong.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Most often, when you are convinced that superglue is just what you need to fix a pen.

You're wrong.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

What would you suggest then?

Well, you need it to be a sealant as well as a glue, otherwise IME, ink can get into the gaps when you fill and then ooze out onto the little ring that the push cap works with. The ink will ultimately work it's way onto the grip then..

Silicone RTV will work. I wouldn't necessarily think of using RTV in general because it would be a "permanent" repair, but I think it's appropriate for this application (Jinhao). Use enough to seal the gaps. Here are the "gotchas". Do not let any get into the inside of the part where the nib and feed go (set the nib and feed aside for the gluing process). Fill these with a paper towel or foam or some such, and cover the piercing tube with some tape that you can remove with tweezers. You can trim any that extrudes on the side where the nib goes, but avoid extruding next to the piercing tube. This could interfere with the seating of the cartridge or converter after it cures.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Before using any adhesive, I would recommend pushing it all back in as a friction fit and see how that works. Use your judgement, though. Trying things out is one of the ways you learn stuff.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It has always been my opinion to NEVER use superglue when repairing a pen, as when you have to take it back apart, what are you going to use to soften up the superglue with? a blowtorch???? At worst, and it has already been mentioned above use shellac, and just a dab, that way when you go to take it back apart all you have to use is a small heat source and it should come back out :-)

What does 'Shellac' go by in stores? Shellac paste? Shellac glue? Fix it: Shellac? Sorry never used this before or really done any sort of pen repair. And yes, to clarify, the housing that holds the nib+feed was detached from the grip. Using friction to attach it right back won't work because with the lightest, lightest force i can simply pull the entire housing out.

Edited by Inknoob

It's just called "shellac", and is primarily a wood finish, so that aisle in a hardware store is where you'd find it (if you go, get the smallest can of orange shellac you can find). But that can will dry up before you can possibly use it all, so a better idea would be to buy a little bottle of shellac online, from one of the sites that sells pen-repair supplies.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Will the ring that snaps into the cap on the end of the section stay put even without the piece we're talking about inserted? It was not the case with my Haolilai 601F. If it is secure no matter what is done with the part that has come loose, then shellac may be adequate. But if the ring is retained by the plastic part that holds the nib, then shellac is not an appropriate adhesive for this repair.

Here's an image. On a side note, is that red flakey thing shellac? There's still smeared on the section just not in flakes like the piece you see in the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/uuzFcpfl.jpg

Edited by Inknoob

It's not shellac. It looks like the ring is retained by the cartridge that's coming out. Shellac will not be a lasting repair, IMHO. You need a "glue" that is waterproof, strong against the shearing force, and seals out the ink that would wick in around the ring when the section is immersed in ink to fill it. My suggestion is Silicone RTV.

In general superglue should not be used in pen repair. The reason is the answer to what you would use to get it apart... heat (like under a sweater) and moisture will cause superglue to break down rather quickly, and just humidity will break it down eventually.

If it's the outer part of a section that normally should not come off of a sleeve, I would be inclined to use a quality two part epoxy cement. Silicone RTV adhesive might work, and might be a bit better because it will tend to fill where the epoxy may not. Install with the nib and feed out of the section, and be sure to clean up well while the material is still soft. You can use alcohol with most of the modern plastics without damage. With both adhesives

The best general epoxy that isn't an arm and a leg is PC Superepoxy. Cure time is 4 hours, 24 to full strength, but you can speed that up by putting it close to a heat source that doesn't go over 120 or so - like a heater vent or over a 65-75W CFL. That can speed the cure time up to just a couple of hours to full strength. Check the manufacturers data sheet/application sheet for details. Most give the cure to full strength time based on a temperature in the range of 70 - 75 degrees F.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Too often with Chinese cheapies, the feed sleeve incorporates the cartridge nipple, and so the surrounding glue is the only thing stopping the sleeve-feed-nib being pushed out the from of the pen when a new cartridge is installed. I'm not sure if Jinhao splashed out on a separate stop for the cart.

You can check by pushing the nib back in, and then trying to fit a (new, unpierced) cartridge. If the cart pushes the nib back out, the strength of a 2 part epoxy might be preferable to RTV.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review