Please Help...

Kuscer

Hi :)

Yet another topic begging you to help some clueless pen person :D

So, here's the cheese; I really need a new pen. I mean really. No one knows how much I need a pen right now. Like, really need it. Get the point? I need a pen. :D I also need these things in a pen:

• Holds a nice amount of ink
  • posts!!
  • good for long writing periods
  • I would like for it to be translucent, either a colour or completely clear, but colour much prefered
  • < $100
  • nice nib, optional - some tooth
  • very, very wet!!

Thanks ;)

Kindest of regards,

G aka Ggaja

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icywolfe

• Algester

• Kuscer

• dojocho

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody shed some light onto these 2 for me, please?

• Pilot custom 74
  • Pilot heritage 92

I have the C74. To get the Sub 100 model it will be in a dark/solid color and not a clear color.

It uses the Con70 which hold about 1ml (at the least) and the feed can sort of hold 0.1 ml (at the least.)

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I have a Pilot Custom Heritage 92, and like it a lot. It's a little over the $100USD mark when bought from Japan, but it meets all of your requirements. I wouldn't call mine "very wet", but it's easy enough to tweak a nib for increased flow.

The Pilot custom 74 shares the same nib as the 92. The translucent models are intended for the US market I believe, and are priced around $160. I have the 742, which is the 74's bigger brother, and have been very happy with that too. The Custom 74 can use a CON-70 converter, which is easy to fill (once you get the hang of it) and holds a good amount of ink.

I'm a big fan of Pilot pens, and would personally break my budget a little bit on this. :D

FWIW, I wouldn't consider the TWSBI 580 if you want a pen that posts comfortably. While it is possible to post, it feels like a baseball bat when you do. That said, it's a very comfortable size when un-posted. The TWSBI mini might be an option, but it's probably too small to use without posting, so may be inconvenient to use for quick notes.

Thank you, I might consider the Pilots :)

The C74 with the Con70 also has great balance. It just feels like a pen that was meant to used to write with for long papers. Even if a Converter it can write a lot of pages if you are using F nib.

The clip is very easy to get on a off, but it won't come off when you are doing activities. (I went to the gym with a C74 clipped and came back home and found it there. I totally forgot I clipped it there.)

Downside is that the nib oddly enough looks a bit too small for the size of the pen.

#Nope

Gaja- also look at the sub-forum dedicated to Japanese pens, you will find reviews of the Pilot pens you asked about there. BTW, have you posted the Lamy 2000 review I sent you in your blog, or what is the URL where you posted it?

Can somebody shed some light onto these 2 for me, please?

• Pilot custom 74
  • Pilot heritage 92

you wont get a heritage 92 for that budget it goes for 150USD in Japan so you could be reaching 100USD ish still - shipping

Custom 74 can fit con-70, however depending on where your buying the converter might not even be there (minimum pens with converter in Japan is 200USD mark) and they retail 100USD in Japan 75USD online in Japan - shipping - converter? so your still at the 100USD mark (90USD as some have reported online) by the time it gets to you - customs... in short probably maybe out of your budget if you dont know where to look

Custom 74, release date 1992, one of the cheapest gold nib pens by Pilot (when I say one IT IS ONE OF IT's cheapest 50USD is the cheapest they can go) at 10K yen meaning 100USD (more or less) retail you have some nibs available to you if you for go with the black solid color from EF-Music nib, Music and Cosu will cost you more with the custom 74, with the distinctive cigar shape body akin to another "well known brand" it is available in the demonstrator version in the US but only has a selection of nibs from F-B, the pen is considerably also easy to maintain and disassemble with the friction fit feed and nib, Cartridge, Converter filling system,

the Heritage 92 released in 2010, is the only piston filler in the Pilot line of pens with the distinctive flat-top body that is known in the Heritage line, and also from another "well known brand", comes in 4 barrel colors, blue, amber, smoke and clear. the rhodium plated gold 14kt nibs come in F-B not much of a choice, but with it's piston filling mechanism that can be dismantled with a 7mm spanner dubbed "TWSBI wrench" and a friction fit nib and feed still an overall solid performer and still easy to maintain.

and both pens posts more or less your getting 1 ml of ink depending on the converter your getting with the custom 74 from a measely .5ml with the con-50 to the 1ml with the con-70

Edited by Algester

the Heritage 92 released in 2010, is the only piston filler in the Pilot line of pens with the distinctive flat-top body that is known in the Heritage line, and also from another "well known brand", comes in 4 barrel colors, blue, amber, smoke and clear. the rhodium plated gold 14kt nibs come in F-B not much of a choice, but with it's piston filling mechanism that can be dismantled with a 7mm spanner dubbed "TWSBI wrench" and a friction fit nib and feed still an overall solid performer and still easy to maintain.

and both pens posts more or less your getting 1 ml of ink depending on the converter your getting with the custom 74 from a measely .5ml with the con-50 to the 1ml with the con-70

Isn't the 92 only 101 USD?

What other well known brand? Pelikan?

#Nope

G apart from the transparent part you may be best served by a Pelikan M205 - under $100 from the right places and wet like the amazon - it is not much to look at but holy cow does it write... There was a clear M200 on sale at Penbotique but it is now sold out :(

Isn't the 92 only 101 USD?

What other well known brand? Pelikan?

Sheaffer flat-top if not the Parker Duofold flat-top unless one knows where to look for the heritage 92... beyond the usual online sellers in the US I dont think they would give you that price 101 USD?! Japan maybe but US I doubt :X second hand maybe

Edited by Algester

Sheaffer flat-top if not the Parker Duofold flat-top unless one knows where to look for the heritage 92... beyond the usual online sellers in the US I dont think they would give you that price 101 USD?! Japan maybe but US I doubt :X second hand maybe

I thought that was for the CH911/2, because the CH92 has a piston.

I meant JP:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkvh-15srs/

But the order was fast and no extra tea bags. It came faster than some US dealers. (I didn't buy the CH92 tho, I bought the C743 Falcon.)

#Nope

I thought that was for the CH911/2, because the CH92 has a piston.

I meant JP:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkvh-15srs/

But the order was fast and no extra tea bags. It came faster than some US dealers. (I didn't buy the CH92 tho, I bought the C743 Falcon.)

next time maybe... but I like to buy stuff with hard cash... so... I need someone to enable me locally.... 912 FA might be for me... maybe not sure I already have a manifold fine nib so a PO nib might just be redundant

next time maybe... but I like to buy stuff with hard cash... so... I need someone to enable me locally.... 912 FA might be for me... maybe not sure I already have a manifold fine nib so a PO nib might just be redundant

Didn't you go to japan before? If so you could always hog a ton of money and fly there buy everything. But keep the main focus to pens only tho.

How about the Cosu or the WA?

#Nope

Didn't you go to japan before? If so you could always hog a ton of money and fly there buy everything. But keep the main focus to pens only tho.

How about the Cosu or the WA?

I did and will hopefully go back for another spin :3 I hope Ito-ya has them in-stock if I'm going to get one but that means thats a proper 20K yen to save 10K yen... uhh... 1 game?

Edited by Algester

I did and will hopefully go back for another spin :3 I hope Ito-ya has them in-stock if I'm going to get one but that means thats a proper 20K yen to save 10K yen... uhh... 1 game?

Spend money on games less money you have on pens.

(I don't know how much cheaper is games from JP rather than buying it from a importer like jbox or other sites that I cannot name. the anime expo had them at about 12 USD per game.)

I just checked the currency calculator and the JPY is dropping.

-------------

Somebody who goes to JP needs to do a detailed video of the Pilot Pen Station.

#Nope

Spend money on games less money you have on pens.

(I don't know how much cheaper is games from JP rather than buying it from a importer like jbox or other sites that I cannot name. the anime expo had them at about 12 USD per game.)

I just checked the currency calculator and the JPY is dropping.

-------------

Somebody who goes to JP needs to do a detailed video of the Pilot Pen Station.

you pretty much paying the upfront MSRP on most of the stuff you buy anyway pens are easier to get bigger change in yen because they flat out go to zeroes than have awkward numbers IE ideally cheaper of course this is only if your a quick shopper because I dunno my family likes to do tour trips much to my horror

Edited by Algester

you pretty much paying the upfront MSRP on most of the stuff you buy anyway pens are easier to get bigger change in yen because they flat out go to zeroes than have awkward numbers IE ideally cheaper of course this is only if your a quick shopper because I dunno my family likes to do tour trips much to my horror

Same thing for SKR a long time ago. I stopped by in an airport in JP (transfer in flight) then I saw the bunch of zeros and thought my 20 USD bill is gonna buy nothing. Then went to SKR then saw a bunch of zeros and thought America must be poor. I don't know about China I forgot if they have a bunch of zeroes.

My family like tour trips too.... everybody likes tours.

So a Custom 845 would be appox 500 USD? (Because the MSRP listed on some sites put it at about 550k JPY.)

#Nope