Blue Recommendation And 54Th Massachusetts In Twsbi 580!

Bornin1992

After much debating, I have decided to purchase a TWSBI 580 for my next pen.

Is anyone using 54th Massachusetts in their TWSBI demonstrators? Does it stain?

Also, any recommendations for a nice rich, dark blue with character? What I am looking for is an ink that is exciting but still conservative, if that is not too much to ask for! I have been using Pilot Namiki Blue for around three months and it seriously lacks excitement!

I will be using the ink in a TWSBI clear demonstrator and it needs to be waterproof!

Cheers! :)

Edited by Bornin1992

Jinhao X750, Wing Sung 601 (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), TWSBI ECO (M), Sheaffer 300 (M), Faber-Castell Carbon Basic (M), (2) Pelikan M200 (F), Pilot Custom 74 (F), Platinum 3776 ( B ), Lamy 2000,(2) FPR Himalaya #5.5 (Fine, medium, broad, flex nibs), Parker 51 (M), Esterbrook J (2556)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Bornin1992

• SeeksAdvice

• Buzz_130

54th Massachusetts doesn't stain. You can go ahead and use the ink without worries.

With regards to blue, there are a few fully waterproof blue inks: I'd recommend using:

R&K Salix: Iron gall ink, amazing color but i find it a bit too muted for my tastes

Noodler's Baystate Blue: Stains like crazy, but this blue is by far the most magnificent!! It's waterproof too.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium: Wonderful true blue color, moderately waterproof/semi-bulletproof. Available exclusively on Goulet pens

Other fully waterproof alternatives for blues which i use include: Noodler's Legal Lapis, Noodler's Bad Blue Heron (is amongst my favourites and i recommend looking into the color) & Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher.

Hope this helps!

Edited by kmd001

Does ot need yo be waterproof or just water fast?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Does ot need yo be waterproof or just water fast?

What do you mean by water fast? Something that won't wash away if I spill on my notes!

I should note that I'm using Five Star Heavyweight refill paper.

Jinhao X750, Wing Sung 601 (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), TWSBI ECO (M), Sheaffer 300 (M), Faber-Castell Carbon Basic (M), (2) Pelikan M200 (F), Pilot Custom 74 (F), Platinum 3776 ( B ), Lamy 2000,(2) FPR Himalaya #5.5 (Fine, medium, broad, flex nibs), Parker 51 (M), Esterbrook J (2556)

I'm liking Diamine Regency Blue so far. Conservative, but kind of a unique color.

I like that colour! Do you know if she stains demonstrators?

Waterproof inks are tougher to find and require more maintenance. Waterfast inks like Liberty Elysium are not as "needy".

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

How about some of these ...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_1896w.jpg

Waterproof inks are tougher to find and require more maintenance. Waterfast inks like Liberty Elysium are not as "needy".

I assume basically it means water resistant? A simple spill will not destroy the paper, but don't let it soak?

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_1794w.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_1794w.jpg

Waterfast ink?

On the examples above, those water droplets were allowed to dry and soak in.

So, look at Dromgoole's Blue Steel, Presidential Blue (Diamine), De Atramentis Constitution.

The KWZI inks are water resistant and I love them. However, they don't go in my clear TWSBIs.

Sorry, trying to post and take care of business.

So, notice how the color runs but you can still read the words - that's waterfast instead of waterproof. Waterproof inks don't move.

So, for waterproof, Noodler's Polar Blue is waterproof. Alas, I am not a big fan of it in it's regular form because it feathers and it's chalky. However, mixed with Visconti blue, it is really pretty. I use Polar Blue as the base in some great inks.

The KWZI inks are some of my favorites for sheer vivid color, the Iron Gall inks from KWZI are not staining and some of the best IG inks I've ever used. Yes, they are water resistant.

Truly, you are the ink maven, amber.

:wub:

Don't know about staining demonstrator pens, but 54th Mass washes off of hands better than any other ink I've ever seen--and stays on the page like it's just another color of paper under every circumstance I've tried with it. I have no clue how Noodler's accomplished that, but there it is.

Good luck with your hunt for blues!

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

The bulletproof series seem to wash off hands pretty well, along with many other surfaces. The warden series, not so much. While emptying a larger quantity of Bad Blue Heron, I turned a porcelain sink blue to the point the janitor had to use vandalism remover to take it off. The only issues I saw with a TWSBI and "bulletproof" inks was KTC did start turning part of one of mine blue/purple. Of course, so did Diamine's Sargasso Sea.

After playing with various other pens, I've come to the conclusion that there's just something about the plastic in TWSBI pens that is susceptible to staining. Only one other pen got badly stained by Noodler's QSH for me, and that was an old Pelikan.

54th Mass. might leave black residue behind that's a pain to clean out. Had that happen with mine.

There's MB's permanent blue that seems to be okay. I haven't play tested it yet, but looks to be pretty waterproof.

Perhaps my favorite 100% waterproof blue (blue/black) is Sailor Sei-Boku "nano" ink. Needs more TLC than dye-based, but once it's dry, it's not coming off the page. It's dark enough to look classy. It shades well, and with sufficient quantity, has a reddish sheen to it. The stuff's not cheap, but it works really well. Behaves very well on all but the worst of papers. It also exhibits excellent fade resistance. If I had to pick one blue/black ink for all eternity, it'd probably be this one. Simply stated, your paper will fall apart before this ink budges in water.

A dye-based contender for 100% waterproofness is Noodler's Polar Blue, but it's a royal PITA to work with. Will bleed/feather on many types of papers. One of the most waterproof dye-based inks I've tried from Noodler's (KTC, Bad Blue Heron, Bad Belted Kingfisher, 54th Mass., Liberty's Elysium, Midway Blue, Blue Eel, Air Corps Blue/Black, Henry Hudson Blue, etc.). KTC is another dye-based ink that will be on the page until the sun dies in about 5 billion years or so.

While I like the color of Henry Hudson Blue, it's rather untenable in my Pilot VP (F) and my Stipula Speedball. Large amounts of precipitate in it (no, not SitB either).

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan