Help Identifying A Pen I Threw Out A Long Time Ago.

Fallennib

My grandfather had given me a fountain pen some time ago, and I, like an idiot didn't take much care of it, and had thrown it away, I will try to describe it in as much details as possible, but this incident had happened around 6 years ago. The pen didn't have a place to insert a cartridge, instead when you undo the barrel it was one piece, and would be filled be filled by inserting the nib into the ink bottle, and I believe turning the end of the pen so it would suck up some ink (I guess thats how it filled, but it was one piece). The pen was red/brown. The container which would hold the ink was trasparent. I'm sorry if my description is insufficient, for I was young at the time around eleven years old and my memory is not helping. Perhaps if someone would post some pictures, it would help jolt up my memory. The ink I used for the pen was "Quink" branded I believe.

Edited by Fallennib

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fallennib

• NinthSphere

• jar

• vikrmbedi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from what you are describing... you had a cartridge/convertor pen with fitted convertor for example

you need to describe the pen a bit more....the shape of the barrel, the type of the nib(covered, inlaid, big small), if you saw any logo etc etc...

I the meanwhile you can do one thing...follow the links below....and try to see if any pens match what you remember.

PARKER

SHEAFFER(Go through pages 1 to 5 of sheaffer identification )

WATERMAN

I couldn't find any (pen) that fitted the description, but if my memory serves me,I can say that the "section" was transparent, and the pen didn't have a removable barrel, the refilling mechanism was built in and operated from the top of the barrel. The pen was formidably thick, and made of plastic, it was somewhat transparent I think. I hope this helps. I feel really bad that I threw this pen out and would really like to purchase one again, and give it to my grandfather. Thank you for the help.

Why don't you ask your grandfather what pen was? That is not enough for a good description...

By the filling mechanism you describe it looks like a converter fitted, orrrrr....maybe a Russian Soiuz pen...

Any particular description? Size, weight, colour, shape, pattern...something.

I would have asked my grandfather,but he is very old, we celebrated his 100th birthday a few weeks back, his memory isn't as it used to be, and so won't remember the pen. He has a mild case of Alzheimer.

when you mentioned "undo the barrel" I thought the barrel was removable.

anyways it means it was a piston filler. makes sense, you could find the pen in the above list.

that narrows down the list...but still more details are needed

was the cap screw on or pull off type?

do you remember if the pen was modern or vintage ?

if it had a gold nib or steel nib?

i understand a lot of time has passed but the info provided is very limited

Oh yeh, sorry for the inconvenience about the barrel. The pen was most probably vintage, not sure about the nib or cap though. Again sorry for going in circles, but I'm having a hard time helping you, help me. I cant quite put my finger on the image of the pen, I remember throwing it away, because it leaked some ink, not from the nib,but from the "section". I appreciate all the help and time you have put into this threads.

I thought I'd gift him the pen for his birthday. :) I appreciate your interest.

Oh yeh, sorry for the inconvenience about the barrel. The pen was most probably vintage, not sure about the nib or cap though. Again sorry for going in circles, but I'm having a hard time helping you, help me. I cant quite put my finger on the image of the pen, I remember throwing it away, because it leaked some ink, not from the nib,but from the "section". I appreciate all the help and time you have put into this threads.

I thought I'd gift him the pen for his birthday. :) I appreciate your interest.

Can you tray to draw it. Or draw up any memories you had with the pen?

#Nope

I'm going to guess a Touchdown filler. Maybe a Statesman? When you unscrew the end of the barrel, there's a metal cylinder that pulls out.

http://vacumania.com/websitesalespics/pen3542lg.jpg

Edited by NinthSphere

OK, guys, I have just had a stroke of luck, I now have a clear image in my mind of the pens exterior, it had a pattern of brick, thin bricks on the barrel, and at the top of the barrel, which is fixed, has a knob, brown in color, that can be turned in order to refill the pen. The pen was very conservative and wouldn't allow the user to disassemble it, or perhaps i never knew how to. It had a thick circumference. I believe, but don't take my word for it, that the cap is a screw on, and wouldn't fit on top of the pen perfectly. I hope this would further narrow the choices?

Thanks guys!

PS: NinthSphere, I am not sure why, but the image you posted gave me a blast from the past, Thank you!

I will also search the internet for the pen, but one thing irritates me, the brand is a mystery to me, I cant quite remember it. Hope you guys have more suggestions. I will post the image of the pen if found.

So...like my third guess?

Somewhat the bricks should be longer, and at the top of the pen a turnable knob, the barrel itself is quire a bit thicker, but yes, you have the general idea. Thank you guys for your help! Anything else i remember i will post immediately!

Edited by Fallennib

Somewhat the bricks should be longer, and at the top of the pen a turnable knob, the barrel itself is quire a bit thicker, but yes, you have the general idea. Thank you guys for your help! Anything else i remember i will post immediately!

Let me try a different path.

Where did your grandfather grow up?

http://www.lespickin.co.uk/site/images/Vacumatic-Duofold-Blue-Stri.jpg

Perhaps like this - Parker Vacumatic.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR