Midori Paper

Ambrose Bierce

So I am looking to get a passport sized notebook, and since the sizing is odd and the only type of paper that really fits is the midori refill the quality of their paper is important. I've read up a lot about the actual journal but very little on the paper. Does anyone have any input on the quality, or could direct me to review?

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ambrose Bierce

• SallyLyn

• E8x8

• stevesurf

Top Posters In This Topic

gouletpens.com has some videos on the Midori- the Passport version and maybe the other. The videos are good regardless of where you buy cover or fillers. They also sell the refills but if outside the USA shipping maybe costly. --One refill brand they sell is Banditapple. Very ! nice paper and less expensive than Midori. The company is in Korea. Do a search on FPN to see if there would be a way for a direct shipment. A search of FPN could also give you a review of Banditapple paper.

Year+ ago based on info on FPN I ordered refills of all types (plastic zipper, kraft folders, etc) and cover from pencils.jp They are in Japan and prices in Yen but their prices were very good. I ordered a ton. emails back and forth to get a firm invoice/$ price took a couple days because of time difference and maybe only one person able to converse in English well. Shipping took a while but as I recall partly because some things I wanted were on backorder so we waited. Still a good price for me in USA and a pleasing experience. I would use again.

The company MUJI has a US website and one item they sell is a passport size filler notebook. Paper is good and price was good. But would lean toward Banditapple or Midori paper as first choice. I prefer the grid/dot or blank refills.

Midori videos

Edited by SallyLyn

The company MUJI has a US website and one item they sell is a passport size filler notebook. Paper is good and price was good. But would lean toward Banditapple or Midori paper as first choice.

What was different about the MUJI paper that made you prefer the MD paper over it?

gouletpens.com has some videos on the Midori- the Passport version and maybe the other. The videos are good regardless of where you buy cover or fillers. They also sell the refills but if outside the USA shipping maybe costly. --One refill brand they sell is Banditapple. Very ! nice paper and less expensive than Midori. The company is in Korea. Do a search on FPN to see if there would be a way for a direct shipment. A search of FPN could also give you a review of Banditapple paper.

Year+ ago based on info on FPN I ordered refills of all types (plastic zipper, kraft folders, etc) and cover from pencils.jp They are in Japan and prices in Yen but their prices were very good. I ordered a ton. emails back and forth to get a firm invoice/$ price took a couple days because of time difference and maybe only one person able to converse in English well. Shipping took a while but as I recall partly because some things I wanted were on backorder so we waited. Still a good price for me in USA and a pleasing experience. I would use again.

The company MUJI has a US website and one item they sell is a passport size filler notebook. Paper is good and price was good. But would lean toward Banditapple or Midori paper as first choice. I prefer the grid/dot or blank refills.

Midori videos

I've seen both of these vids already, and while they do help some, Brian doesn't go into super specifics with how good the paper is.

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

I just got my first Midori and am very happy with the paper. It takes ink well, and dries quickly -- very few smudges, even though I'm using it mostly to jot down notes/to-dos/etc. for our upcoming crazy move, so it's certainly not being used under ideal circumstances.

I have one notebook with the brown craft paper, which I'm using for moving notes, and another with the richer white (really a very, very light cream. I love it!) paper that I'm using more for journaling. I have a lined filler that I haven't sorted out what to do with yet, and a week-at-a-glance style coming.

What was different about the MUJI paper that made you prefer the MD paper over it?

My experience with MUJI products is limited and limited to the website. They sell an item- 24 sheets - Passport Note $1.75. I bought the blank version but currently could only find dot grid. My paper is smooth cream colored. With a Med or Fine nib I had ghosting and some bleed through. Midori paper is white and no bleed through, but ghosting.

Another passport sized refill is the Scout Book. Paper is thicker, doesn't feel as good to touch but pen writes well and feels fine. Very little ghosting even with a light art brush pen. 16 sheets about $2 a filler/book. Fits Midori Passport leather. A US company so probably not best for overseas but you could check.