Nib Sizes? Am I Thinking Correctly?

Sinuhe

After getting a used M400 tortoiseshell a month back, I've acquired the Pelikan bug. I know there is no known cure, but I imagine getting another Pelikan might stave off selling the car for a Toledo M900 - so I've given the matter some thought. The pay raise I got is reason enough to treat myself to a new Pelikan.

I love the size, looks and largish grip of the M1000, so it's that one I want. I've wondered if I should get the EF or F, though. I tend to write normal sized - but for instance the Lamy M is too large for me, making my o's and a's sometimes hard to read. I wonder if F is too wide for me, although I want a nib with some character that shows off my ink and not just an EF line...

My ideal size is the Lamy EF/F or Pilot 78G/Metro M for everyday work, TWSBI EF (although a lovely pen for some tiny handwriting) is a bit too small for my regular letter writing.

The Goulet nib comparison tells me I shouldn't be too afraid of the F, it even has some nice character, but the way it depicts Lamy M makes me wonder a little. My Lamy M is much wider.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinuhe

• ralfstc

• inkstainedruth

• sargetalon

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know about the modern ones, but I have a 1990s era m400 and it is a very juicy F. And remember -- there is probably going to be some variation, even within the same model.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There can be some variation from nib to nib but from what you describe, I think that you might favor the EF best. Pelikan's tend to run a tad wide. If purchased new, you have 4 weeks to exchange it if it's not to your liking. Good luck with your purchase/decision and do post some pics here if you pick one up. You can supress the cravings for only so long. These birds are tough to walk away from.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Well, I don't know about the modern ones, but I have a 1990s era m400 and it is a very juicy F. And remember -- there is probably going to be some variation, even within the same model.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

There is bound to be some differences, ofcourse. My M400 was fitted with what I belive might be a rather old M nib (imprint matching this picture), which writes very narrow compared to a M of today.

Hi,

THe M1000 nib is quite different from any other modern Pelikan's nib, in that it is very wet and surprisingly flexible for a modern nib. It lays down a TON of ink. My tastes in line width sound very similar to yours, and I found the Fine too broad. I just ordered another M800 for myself (from Santa) and went for EF even though it's finer than the M1000 EF. All in all, I think an EF may be right for you, perhaps. Is there no way you can try the pen?

Cheers,

Ralf

Thanks Ralf, for the input! I live in a small city without any brick and mortar stores, and I haven't seen Pelikan in a store even in Stockholm. I've handled it once or twice when abroad, but can't try it out for myself as far as I know.

It's silly, I know, to have to order something like this unseen, but the seller offers quite good warranties and checks out the pens before shipping. Pelikanpens.co.uk is still good, I assume?

I agree with the others. Pelikans run wide; go with the EF.

I have an M1000 F and a Lamy 2000 F. The M1000 is much broader (and wetter, which will make the line even broader, still, on some papers). And the M nib on my M800 is at least as broad as my Montegrappa B nib.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

Use Pelikan dry ink in Pelikan pens, to make them write 'narrow'.

If your Waterman is writing too dry or narrow with Pelikan 4001 ink, use Waterman inks to make them write wider.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.