Parker 25B

Fallennib

Hello avid Fountain pen collectors/owners, I am new to this forum, but would like to start my first post. I was wondering if anyone has information regarding the Parker 25B fountain pen, I have looked through different threads, but none satisfied my curiosity. I'm here to ask you about the version of the 25B that was made in Scotland, does anyone have any idea about this? I first stumbled upon the pen some 6 years ago, but have taken a deep interest in fountain pens only a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to piece things together. Thank you for taking the time to view my post, and of course thanks for the help in advance.
Ps: I will post images soon.

Edit:

http://imgur.com/tAa2IkQ

http://imgur.com/7lhhLBE

Edited by Fallennib

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fallennib

• richardandtracy

• Sasha Royale

• Captivelight

Let's see. Parker 25 from the late 1970's. The "flighter" version is very common.

The model 25B refers to the matte-finish version. I don't know what the letter "B"

actually means. (black ?) Otherwise, it is a Parker 25 -- a good, reliable writer.

Do you have this pen ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Let's see. Parker 25 from the late 1970's. The "flighter" version is very common.

The model 25B refers to the matte-finish version. I don't know what the letter "B"

actually means. (black ?) Otherwise, it is a Parker 25 -- a good, reliable writer.

Do you have this pen ?

Yes, I do own the pen, it probably hasn't been used for a long time, since I had to keep it submerged in water for about 2 days, and ink was still flowing out, had to use warm water to liquefy the ink. After that I added a cartridge; the pen seems to work, but the ink flows water-like it doesn't flow quite like my other fountain pen, does this have to do with it being submerged in water?

Thanks for the reply, please tell me if you need more information, I shall try my best to grant it.

Dried ink is the enemy. It forms a cement that clogs. Room temperature water soaking is recommended.

Use of "warm" water may speed the process, but softening and distortion of the plastic is a danger. A couple

of days, or a couple of weeks, is not too long to remedy years of neglect. Clean, room temp water and patience.

Soak. Rinse. Repeat. When the water stays colorless for 24 hours, dry by wiping, wrapping in a paper towel

and shaking like an old medical thermometer. Place the nib in contact with a dry spot on the paper towel

(I use an old t-shirt.) for 30 minutes to "wick" out residual water. Now, apply ink.

Cartridge pens are wonderfully easy to maintain. Every other month, with a daily-use pen, I gently force clean

water through the section in both directions. Then, I force air through the section to blow out residual water.

It takes 60 seconds.

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

Just trim the end to fit snugly over the section.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Did you dry it out after the soaking in water? Disassemble the nib/feed (if that's possible)?

Hi,

I agree with the clean-up / rescue process outlined by Member Sasha Royale, except for letting the pen dry out after intensive cleansing.

Instead I prefer to flick / shake out the excess water, then charge the pen with fresh ink and put it to work. Doing so lowers the risk exposure to any remaining ink drying in place, extends the wet time whilst being filled with ink and the micro wiggles of the nib+feed when writing, and takes advantage of any 'solvent' action ink might bring to the party - some inks have a reputation for being 'clean-up' inks, such as ye olde Parker Quink with SOLV-X.

You may find the Topic by our dear amberleadavis 'Best ink to use in between high maintenance inks (something lubricating?)' to be of value: http://www.fountainp...ting/?p=2762032

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thank you guys for the replies, and tips. I hope I hadn't damaged the pen by submerging it, but now it seems to write fine. Do you guys know of the ink is toxic by any chance? I have gotten quite a lot of ink on my hands, from cleaning the pen.

You really need to have a chat to Darren at : http://www.moreengineering.co.uk/parker-pen/4582690612 - he used to work for Parker in the UK and specializes in Parker 25's

I second that website. Excellent source of information about Parker 25 (my favorite fountain pen). You can contact Darryl (the website owner) for additional information).

It is easy to remove P25 nib for cleaning. There is a square hole at the bottom of the feed (where the external part to the feed meets the section) in which a nail or one tooth of a fork can be inserted. The nib can then be pulled out with the feed. There are several good videos about that online.

Edited by lisadan

Dan

... Do you guys know of the ink is toxic by any chance? I have gotten quite a lot of ink on my hands, from cleaning the pen.

I have never come across a toxic ink. It would not be in the manufacturer's interest, after all, to kill off their pen users.

There were components in ink that are now banned, like Phenol in Parker Solv-x ink - also in 'Wright's Coal Tar Soap' - but their toxicity was only of concern in large/very large quantities.

Your black pens are in much better condition than mine. They're all chipped & highly polished now.

Regards,

Richard

I have never come across a toxic ink. It would not be in the manufacturer's interest, after all, to kill off their pen users.

There were components in ink that are now banned, like Phenol in Parker Solv-x ink - also in 'Wright's Coal Tar Soap' - but their toxicity was only of concern in large/very large quantities.

Your black pens are in much better condition than mine. They're all chipped & highly polished now.

Regards,

Richard

Ah, thanks for clearing things up. I now refrain myself from using them, as hard as that is, in order not to damage them. I will buy a new durable pen soon, for practicing, any suggestion? Edited by Fallennib

Ah, thanks for clearing things up. I now refrain myself from using them, as hard as that is, in order not to damage them. I will buy a new durable pen soon, for practicing, any suggestion?

Hi,

Kindly consider a Parker England 45, which is of the same era as the 25, and has the advantage of relatively inexpensive interchangeable nibs.

The 45 was produced for a fairly long time, so is rather common. Used pens in good working order are within range of a modest budget, and a new old stock (NOS) bog standard Black pen with a steel nib should not be that much more of a reach. http://www.parkerpens.net/parker45.html

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

There's always 25 flighters. Same as your black ones, but with a bare stainless finish that doesn't really show wear.

As mentioned, Parker 45s are also dependable and relatively inexpensive.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Parker 25 flighter (brushed stainless steel). Same great pen, without the worries of chipped paint. Pretty much indestructible, and does pretty pell in the washing machine :) (my personal experience, after leaving one in my pants pocket. It went trough a full normal wash and didn't even leak).

Dan

[...] Do you guys know of the ink is toxic by any chance? [...]

I think ink is toxic but only if swallowed - it contains biocides and colorants which may be harmful if swallowed. Your skin is too airtight :)

Hello Fallennib,

I replied to your email.

I have recently been talking to Dave Ruderman who was the Development Technician on P25 at the time. He said "The matte black and later the white versions were developed under my control. The black with Metal Treatments in Birmingham (an automotive parts supplier) and the white in the PARKER Meru factory in Northern France. After many tests we managed to ‘tame’ the powder coating process which up to that point had been used for things like truck bumpers and architectural panels, I think the project was #D74/19."

Regarding the nib and feed; They are relatively easy to take apart, just depends how old the ink is inside and if the old ink has corroded the nib to the feed making it hard to pull out.

The P25 FP feed was the basis of fountain pen research and is the grandfather for all the UK feed systems that followed, Sonnet, Frontier, Duofold etc. – the Sonnet being the best ever produced by Parker.

Hope that helps.

Darryl

http://www.moreengineering.co.uk

Ex Parker Pen Toolmaker, Newhaven, England.

Hello Fallennib,

I replied to your email.

I have recently been talking to Dave Ruderman who was the Development Technician[/size] on P25 at the time. He said "The matte black and later the white versions were developed under my control. The black with Metal Treatments in Birmingham (an automotive parts supplier) and the white in the PARKER Meru factory in Northern France. After many tests we managed to tame the powder coating process which up to that point had been used for things like truck bumpers and architectural panels, I think the project was #D74/19."[/size]

Regarding the nib and feed; They are relatively easy to take apart, just depends how old the ink is inside and if the old ink has corroded the nib to the feed making it hard to pull out.

The P25 FP feed was the basis of fountain pen research and is the grandfather for all the UK feed systems that followed, Sonnet, Frontier, Duofold etc. the Sonnet being the best ever produced by Parker.[/size]

Hope that helps.

Darryl

Darryl, any idea where the "Made In Scotland" came from?

Thank you for the replies, they have really helped me understand the pen's origin and nature.

Mr. Daryll has also informed me that the box, which contained the pen was made elsewhere, supposedly Scotland, and that is why "Scotland" is engraved on it.

Edited by Fallennib

A Parker 51 is ... very, very durable much nicer than the P25.

At school I used to swap between my P61 and the P25 - always made me so much happier to go back to the P61 after getting bored with it and trying out something else less refined.

Regards,

Richard