P51 Hood Fitting Problem

mariom

I've just received a NOS hood to replace a cracked one on a c1951 P51 Aerometric (the variant with and O-ring seal).

When screwing the hood on to the connector, the fit over the collector is so tight that the collector binds on the hood. When trying to snug the hood down, it ends up gripping the collector before the hood is fully seated, and rotates the collector with the nib and feed. When the hood is unscrewed, the collector comes out of the connector with it. Is this a known potential problem?

What's your advice in the matter. I'm inclined to remove a bit of the inside wall of the hood with a Dremel or some fine sand paper, but I'm concerned I'll damage the threads.

Also, is it unusual for a P51 to have no barrel imprint. I have 3 which I would date to the early 50s (1 with a UK nib, 1 a Canadian nib and one which I assume is US), and none have any trace of a barrel imprint.

Thanks in advance

Mario

Edited by mariom
=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mariom

• Matlock

• FarmBoy

• Write Again

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it has the recess for the O-ring. The problem is not at the top, but below the threads where the collector resides.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Ah okay I get what you're saying now.

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe the hood isn't NOS and possibly a reproduction? I know people had issues with reproduction hoods not aligning properly, but don't know if they had the connector issue you're having.

Edited by kovey10

Write Again

-Paul K

When I look at the flea bay listing, it doesn't expressly say the part is genuine. The seller (penpartsstore) does sell a lot of repro and fantasy P51 parts which are listed as such, and the color (teal blue) is an exact match to the original, so I feel sure it is genuine Parker.

I've directed this question to the seller, but I haven't heard back yet.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Penpartsstore is the Fleabay nickname for the Miami, Fl location for Ariel Kullock.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

It may be original. There were variations even with Parkers assertions that the 51 was made to such exacting standards. I have a feed with the slit cut 90 degrees to the right. Go figure. That original color would be pretty much impossible to match today to make a reproduction part.

Teachable moment: Many times figuring out why something doesn't fit right means careful measuring of the two objects in question to find just where the problem is. Not rocked science, but it does take some thought. If you're going to do pen repair, you should have a pair of calipers. You can find them in the tool department at Lowes and Home Depot. Digital and accurate enough for our purposes. Harbor Freight makes some decent ones too. I use both the 4" dial caliper and 4" digital all day every day.

I would so some careful measuring to see if the inside of the hood is a bit too short, or maybe too narrow at the inside end. Use a flat end bore gauge and calipers to measure diameter, use a chopstick or the depth gauge part of a caliper to measure inside hood depth and collector length from the clutch ring to the end of the collector. If the inside end of the hood is a bit too short, sand down the end of the collector rather than try to trim the inside end of a slippery, tapered hood. You can safely sand down the outside of the collector fins too - collectors are cheaper to replace if you screw it up.

re. date codes. Parker phased out the date codes in the early 1950s - IIRC by the end of 1950, certainly 1951.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

re. date codes. Parker phased out the date codes in the early 1950s - IIRC by the end of 1950, certainly 1951.

Date coding ceased in USA in 1955 and Canada and UK a couple of years later (I have a 1956 coded 51).

Peter

Date coding ceased in USA in 1955 and Canada and UK a couple of years later (I have a 1956 coded 51).

Believe it was 1952 in the US for pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

in my opinion it would be better to send the part back and ask for a replacement! i've been thru this same issue with this same seller and they replaced the part and it now fits correctly

I have a 51 US pencil with 54 date code.

51 Pencils seem to have been date coded longer than 51 pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

51 Pencils seem to have been date coded longer than 51 pens.

I was going by this from Parkerpens.net

"In 1950 a new system for the date coding was introduced where the two digits only indicated the year, not the quarter hence "50" means made in 1950, this system was used in the US until 1955 and in Canada a few years longer.."

Peter

Thanks for the info, but it's not just the date code that's missing. My impression is that most Parkers of the period had a manufacturer's imprint. Certainly, some of my other pens have this, but none of my 51s.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com