Compostion Notebook Like A Midori?

LindaM

Has anyone found or made a leather notebook cover for composition notebooks that works like a Midori? I've not seen one anywhere that holds a larger notebook, so I'm wondering if it's impractical for some reason?

I was given a Levenger Notabilia composition notebook cover a good while back but can't stand to use it due to the bumps in the pages made by the edges of the flaps that the notebook covers are inserted beneath. That and I much prefer rustic design over polished, and Levenger is all about polished. So I finally gave up and posted it to craigslist. Haven't sold it yet, but when I do it'd be good to know if there's one somewhere made like a Midori or else that it's practical to try to make one.

Seems like it should work for a larger notebook, but if anyone knows why it wouldn't, feel free to tell me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• LindaM

• Cryptos

• Barnaby Bumble

Of course it should work for a larger notebook. However, that kind of defeats the idea behind the Midori. As I understand it the Midori is designed to be handheld hence the narrow width like a pocket book. Personally I find using an A5 or larger format book is awkward unless I have something to rest it upon, and that is why I carry a Midori but use A5 and larger at home/school/office.

It isn't that I want a Midori, it's that I want a cover for a composition book that doesn't cause a bump in the pages from the 'pocket' that the notebooks' covers slide into on most leather covers.

Since no one seems to make the composition covers that way I was wondering it the notebooks are too heavy for the strings, particularly if they stretch, or if the covers by being bigger don't stay closed as well, or whatever.

The nearest thing I know of to what you're describing is the Gfeller leather covers at NanamiPaper.com. Warning: they ain't cheap, and are frequently sold out.

There are 2 versions. One is a softer, more processed leather than the other. It looks like the other one is sold out till Feb. 2015.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

Hi LindaM

I am not an expert although I have made a number of midori style covers and I think weight may be an issue although heavier or extra elastic may resolve that.

if you could post a picture of the notebook I might be able to help you further.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

That is a bit larger than I thought I am not sure the midori style would work,

It might be better to consider other options like thinner leather inside or maybe suede inside.

Do they lie flat when open?

Are there any other features you are looking for?

They lie reasonably flat, anyway. Not perfectly.

As to other features, not really. Other than not very expensive.

Do you think it'd work to use flat elastic ribbons in the 4 corners to hold the notebook in place then, as that would reduce the area affected by the bumps? How would suede be thinner?

Attaching elastic may be complex.

Suede is generally pig or goat rather than cow so it is much thinner but is still strong.

I agree that it should be as cheap as possible but once you have an idea of what will work you can shop around to get a price that suits you

Michael

Thanks, Micheal. I never would have thought about doing the corners that way. I'm looking around online to find thin suede too. I appreciate your help. Didn't want to try making one like a Midori and find out the hard way that it wouldn't work if others already knew it. I've 'reinvented wheels' quite enough times, mostly always finding out how not to do in the process.

Is there a particular colour suede that you might like if I was making one I would use a piece of leather and line it with the suede then put the corner pieces on top matching the outer cover.

If you want to make one yourself I would be happy to take you through each step.

Thanks, Michael. I'm hoping that Levenger notebook cover will sell for somebody's holiday present, leaving me a budget for doing this, but it hasn't happened yet. Once it does I'll be asking your advice.

Wow, that's going above and beyond. Thank you Michael. And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Hi LindaM

I would not go that far :) my composition notebook arrived today.

Once I have found a suitable leather I will make a sample to see what will work.

Ok LindaM

Here is how I would make a cover for your composition notebook,

I set my dividers to 10 mm and marked around the notebook

15963460917_51ec6cacb7_z.jpgIMG_9218 by my0771, on Flickr

I then marked a stitching grove 3 mm in from the edge of the outer leather and used a pricking iron to mark out the stitches an awl will need to be passed through each hole before the needle and thread.

16148471152_853bf51069_z.jpgIMG_9224 by my0771, on Flickr

I bought some thin 0.8mm polished calf skin earlier this month which I think will look good for the inside so I cut two pieces to leave a 50mm gap in the centre and then glued it in place

15961915760_b30f3becc8_z.jpgIMG_9230 by my0771, on Flickr.

I hope this will help you to make your own cover it will also allow me to answer your questions.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. Another question, if you don't mind - have you worked with sheepskin? Tandy Leather has an entire sheepskin on clearance sale for $40. It should be big enough to make several things, but I don't know whether sheepskin is appropriate for notebook covers and the nearest Tandy store is too far away for me to get to.

But don't feel like you ought to buy one to answer my question. :)