Montblanc 149 14K Nib From 1980S

Segel

Review of Montblanc 149

14K bicolor fine with split ebonite feed and brass filler threads, W. Germany stamped on clip band.

Dated to late 1980s or very early 1990s.

Condition: Very good to excellent.

Ink: R&K Salix

Appearance: 9

Clean, modern shape with just a little too much bling for my taste. I prefer Lamy's Bauhaus inspired designs, and to me the nib on the 149 would look better without the Wilhelmian scrollwork. I have seen images of the all-black, unadorned Sailor KOP and I would prefer the 149 without the gold bands and nib-tracery. Having said that, the pen is beautiful as an archetype of fountain pen design imitated by dozens of others (including of course Sailor). The pen reminds me of an aging BMW E30 that was built about the same year as this pen -- they share the same solidity and functional aesthetic.

Construction and Quality: 10

Calling plastic "precious resin" is a little silly, but the pen does feel more substantial and durable than my other plastic pens, with the exception of Lamy's 2000. The pen feels functional and the fit and finish are flawless throughout. The ebonite feed seems particularly well-made and is a good match for that nib.

Weight and Dimensions: 10

Perfect size for those with large hands and long fingers. Very well balanced especially posted. Despite the large size and substantial feel, the pen is surprisingly light and comfortable.

Nib and Performance: 9-10

The 14K nib is springy and opens up readily under pressure. I understand that this is not a flex nib, it does provide a little line-variation without any effort and quite a bit of line variation when you want it. The nib provides good feedback and control. It is not my smoothest writer, but is somehow better for not being smooth. The nib feels right somehow in a way that is difficult to describe.

Filling System: 10

Smooth and capacious piston filler that flushes quickly due to large volumes of water in each fill.

Cost and Value: 10 (used)

The pen cost me $225 delivered, purchased on Amazon as a used pen for $289 plus shipping minus a $70 instant discount from Amazon for signing up for their credit card (I wrote the wrong price in the handwritten version of the review). This is by far my most expensive pen, but a good value given the quality and pleasure of writing.

Conclusion: 58-9/60

I can tell that this will compete with my current favorite pens (Lamy 2000 OB and Lamy Vista with 14K F) for prime position in my stable. Very appealing writer.

post-101180-0-51488100-1418838003_thumb.jpg

post-101180-0-94792200-1418838020_thumb.jpg

Edited by Segel

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Segel

• georgeb

• Brian K

• ARVA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have essentially the same pen purchased new about 30 years ago. Same bicolor 14k nib, split ebonite feed, etc. As I paid $279 for it new I'd say you got an exceptional deal.

I'm glad you are pleased with yours because I have always been very happy with mine. It is not always my go to pen but it is always in the top handful, so to speak. It has been a very dependable pen and I expect I will continue to use it for another 30 years or so...assuming I live to be 87!

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Wonderful review. Thanks for sharing. I have a similar pen, and agree with most of your observations. Just curious, do you apply significant pressure when writing?