Mailing Ink In Plastic Bottles?

Miz Black Crow

Hey all. I realize this has probably already been discussed but I'm on my phone at the moment and mobile-search isn't great. Apologies.

I'm splitting a bottle of ink with two lovely people and need to mail them 30-45mL of ink, preferably in a container they can keep and store the ink in. The point is to reduce costs so orderig empty vials from Goulet kills the price tg (shipping).

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to:

--Buy a set of 1oz to 3oz TSA-friendly plastic bottles

--OR, somehow the cheaper option, buy 1oz "trial" shampoos, wash out the offending shampoo MANY times, and mail the ink in those? Somehow full 30mL containers are cheaper than empty ones... *headdesk*

Thanks in advance! Open to other suggestions if they cost less than $2 each....

Edited by Miz Black Crow

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barnaby Bumble

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Miz Black Crow

Well, what about small nalgene bottles? I just looked at the REI website (there's a couple of local stores where I've gotten some) and the 2 oz. bottles are listed at $1.55 apiece. They may be cheaper elsewhere (the Container Store, for example, has a lot of different sizes for under $2, but there isn't a B&M store close to me (the closest being Columbus OH, about 3-3-1/2 hours away).

I wouldn't use trial sizes of bottles that had other things in them, myself. I don't know how clean you'd really be able to get them. I just got some inexpensive amber glass bottles with what are called "polyseal caps" (plus a couple with eyedropper caps) and even though they're new I've washed them with dish detergent, let them air dry, and then plan to sterilize them with a strong oxidizer solution -- after which they will be rinsed well let air dry again, and then stored, capped, in ziplock containers to keep them clean until I can use them (I got them to decant vintage ink into for easier usage and safer storage).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have used glass vials and eyedropper bottles from Premium Vials via Amazon. If I were shipping, I would probably not use the eyedropper top. The Boston round top is, however, way too small for a nib. It is the right price (a dollar or less per, depending on color and quantity).

I love their wide mouth vials, which fit 8-10 ml. That might work if you were willing to send a couple vials.

I have also successfully used 50 ml centrifugal tube (see example here http://www.amazon.com/Karter-Scientific-Centrifuge-30x115mm-Skirted/dp/B005Z4S2QU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418793777&sr=8-1&keywords=centrifuge+tubes+ml). These work best if you prop them in a holder to increase stability, but they're really air tight and good for shipping. Amazon has a few cheap holders, and styrofoam works great, too.

Sorry I don't have a perfect suggestion.

A while back, someone here on the boards PIF'd me some Akkerman Shocking Blue and Voorhout Violet. They sent 2 nalgene bottles of each. I don't recall what the postage charges were, but it couldn't have been to bad.

Just checked - they are 15 ml bottles. The opening is just right to dip a nib in.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Plastic should work just fine, but it does not show the ink color as well if that's a concern. Xfountainpens.com sells their re-branded Diamine in nalgene bottles.

I like the Boston Rounds. They are too narrow for most pens, but can easily be filled with a syringe. They're quite robust and do not leak at all. Available in 1 oz or 2 oz for about $0.89 each.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

For anyone who finds this in posterity: I found an art supply store near work (Dick Blick, dickblick.com) that has specific "mixing vials", 4 for <$4, 45mL apiece (PERFECT for splitting a 90mL Noodler's!). Not marked like maybe a Nalgene would be, but using a syringe and keeping score worked fine. They also had 2oz glass jars with lids for ~$2 each total (for some reason glasses and lids are sold separately).

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

Shockingly, those little bottles that you have left over every time you swallow your energy drink??? PERFECT.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Shockingly, those little bottles that you have left over every time you swallow your energy drink??? PERFECT.

I would be really careful about cleaning -- and sterilizing -- those. Bottles and caps.... Plus, I don't ever use them.

It didn't occur to me that there would be an issue with the small neck openings on Boston Rounds. But the bottles I got (especially the 4 oz ones) would be more for long-term storage -- I would likely transfer ink into an empty vial, or one of the small nalgene bottles, to use as an inkwell.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I wound up with a solution.... Pebeo Vitrail Mixing Bottles . <$1.00 each, 45mL per (perfect size!). And they're designed for paints/inks. I'm sure other art stores have similar things if Dick Blick isn't nearby; shipping on these would be killer unless you buy other things with them....

Girl Sam

Nalgene is a brand name, like Tupperware.

Yes, but Nalgene makes a lot of bottles. What size/model is everyone referring to as "the small Nalgene bottle"? It seems like they have a very specific item in mind.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

I would be really careful about cleaning -- and sterilizing -- those. Bottles and caps.... Plus, I don't ever use them.

It didn't occur to me that there would be an issue with the small neck openings on Boston Rounds. But the bottles I got (especially the 4 oz ones) would be more for long-term storage -- I would likely transfer ink into an empty vial, or one of the small nalgene bottles, to use as an inkwell.

The ones I got from Costco were perfec tand they hold my thickest pen, which is NOT to be confused with some other members really thick pens. I always sterilize any bottles after a mixing catastrope. The lids are the most important part.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yes, but Nalgene makes a lot of bottles. What size/model is everyone referring to as "the small Nalgene bottle"? It seems like they have a very specific item in mind.

The ones I get are 1 oz. bottles, from REI in their camping section:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=nalgene%201%20oz

The last time I was at a B&M store (a couple of weeks ago) I also bought some similar ones that were 4 oz. I figure that if I don't use them for anything else, the 4 oz. ones will be good for carrying distilled water when I travel, rather than having to find a drugstore or grocery store to buy gallon jugs.

Yeah, it would be cheaper to get them from someplace like The Container Store, but there isn't one close to where I live. I originally went in one of the local REI locations awhile back because some people were touting these rugged waterproof storage cases to carry sample vials when traveling (there were a couple of brands -- one was Pelican, I think and I forget the name of the other brand). The cases seal very tightly (one brand even has sort of a vacuum seal) and are for storing stuff while camping or boating, like cellphones. I ended up not getting one at the time, but poked around the store while I was there and found the nalgene containers.

So, Mike (Lapis) was tell us about his B&M store. Silly me, I went looking for a pen store named B & M (like Barnes & Noble but for pens).

So, Mike (Lapis) was tell us about his B&M store. Silly me, I went looking for a pen store named B & M (like Barnes & Noble but for pens).

Good thing he didn't say "S&M store," I guess.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

Well, I might not have been insistant about knowing the NAME and ADDRESS of HIS S&M store as I was the B&M.