How Are You Supposed To Hold A 2442 Falcon?

sirgilbert357

So, trying out a 2442 Falcon nib I just got in and I must be "doin it wrong", because at some angles its smooth as glass -- even on this junk 20lb copy paper at work. Other times it wants to scratch and snag on up strokes like a irritated feline being dragged to the vet. What gives?

How are these meant to be held? I'm a righty by the way...if that matters.

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• pajaro

• Hobiwan

• whych

Top Posters In This Topic

2442 is listed as a "Falcon Stub" and as a fine stub. So, hold the pen as you would any other pen. The 2442 is not a relief (oblique) nib, so you don't have to rotate the pen to put the nib on its sweet spot. AFIK. I have had several of these, and they seemed like a decent fine nib. I have never been able to fathom the recommendation of these 2442 nibs for lefthanded writers and backhanded writers. They didn't seem to be a magic bullet to me, and I am left handed. I overwrite and sometimes underwrite. Sometimes I write backhanded if the paper is tilted. No magic bullet, but an OK nib. If it writes scratchy, you might be rotating the nib out of its sweet spot. It is supposed to be a stub.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The 2442 Is an Oblique. Just not near so as the "Official Obliques" like the 9314s.

I have a hard time with the 9314, but not Quite so hard with the 2442. I actually like it too.

I think AmberLea really likes them too.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well, I can't really see myself keeping this. This nib *does* appear to be angled left for lefty writers. I did indeed find a sweet spot, but I have to hold the pen slightly contrary to my normal grip / angle. That's not terribly enjoyable...glad I got to try one out though.

I love my 2442 & 2314/9314s but I have been known to rotate my pen whilst writing.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I would take a close look at the end and see how the tines are aligned/misaligned. Maybe you can manually realign them straight on (I've done it using the thumbnail against the bottom and twisting). Twist it a little past the level point and let it spring back.

If it's still scratchy after the tines are level, I gently smooth the scratching edge on a very fine knife sharpening stone. Then test, (using ink all the time), finding the corner that's rough, then smooth using the same motion, then test ... etc. Test using all motions; circular, lines, left curve, right curve, etc..

The smoothing pressure is little more than the weight of the pen along against the stone. It's a gradual and patience-demanding process.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I would take a close look at the end and see how the tines are aligned/misaligned. Maybe you can manually realign them straight on (I've done it using the thumbnail against the bottom and twisting). Twist it a little past the level point and let it spring back.

If it's still scratchy after the tines are level, I gently smooth the scratching edge on a very fine knife sharpening stone. Then test, (using ink all the time), finding the corner that's rough, then smooth using the same motion, then test ... etc. Test using all motions; circular, lines, left curve, right curve, etc..

The smoothing pressure is little more than the weight of the pen along against the stone. It's a gradual and patience-demanding process.

I want to be sure I understand: your recommendation here is for the purpose of smoothing the nib so that I can use it with my normal grip?

It's smooth as glass if I hold it a *certain* way, but that particular way just isn't how I naturally write...I don't want to retrain my hand just for one nib, you know? But I also don't want to modify the nib to write differently than it was intended; I would probably screw it up and I'd rather move it along to someone that wants to use it in its original shape. Surely there's lefties out there that would appreciate this kind of nib?

I want to be sure I understand: your recommendation here is for the purpose of smoothing the nib so that I can use it with my normal grip?

It's smooth as glass if I hold it a *certain* way, but that particular way just isn't how I naturally write...I don't want to retrain my hand just for one nib, you know? But I also don't want to modify the nib to write differently than it was intended; I would probably screw it up and I'd rather move it along to someone that wants to use it in its original shape. Surely there's lefties out there that would appreciate this kind of nib?

A. Yes. Over time a pen "trains itself" to its user, and develops a "sweet spot". So you've learned how its former owner wrote.

B. Also a good option. Maybe you can arrange a trade. There's another thread about trading nibs that started about a month ago. Worth checking out.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Well, I can't really see myself keeping this. This nib *does* appear to be angled left for lefty writers. I did indeed find a sweet spot, but I have to hold the pen slightly contrary to my normal grip / angle. That's not terribly enjoyable...glad I got to try one out though.

If it's a left oblique (angled like the toes on your left foot), it's for right handers. Right obliques are better for left handers. I never considered the angling of the 2442 nib as a meaningful oblique. The 2314 / 9314 -F -M -B nibs are cut more sharply. They are left obliques. I have several of the fine, medium and broad ones. Sometimes I can use them. The 2442 is almost an invisible oblique to me, and it never felt like one.

What were you looking for in a nib?

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

If it's a left oblique (angled like the toes on your left foot), it's for right handers. Right obliques are better for left handers. I never considered the angling of the 2442 nib as a meaningful oblique. The 2314 / 9314 -F -M -B nibs are cut more sharply. They are left obliques. I have several of the fine, medium and broad ones. Sometimes I can use them. The 2442 is almost an invisible oblique to me, and it never felt like one.

What were you looking for in a nib?

I just wanted the 2668 med and the 2968 broad that came in the lot of 3, so I wasn't chasing the 2442 specifically -- it just came with the other two. I'd be willing to trade it for something...

I just wanted the 2668 med and the 2968 broad that came in the lot of 3, so I wasn't chasing the 2442 specifically -- it just came with the other two. I'd be willing to trade it for something...

I have a 2442 and a 2314-B that lalalaw stubbed. They might be more italic? Would you like them? These are a bit broad for me.

I have a 2442 and a 2314-B that lalalaw stubbed. They might be more italic? Would you like them? These are a bit broad for me.

Yeah, absolutely. I'll be happy to send this 2442 to you too if you want it. It writes a medium fine line, if that's more your preference. I'll shoot you a PM...

To use an oblique nib>

Place the pen on the paper as you would with a normal nib.

Now rotate the pen so the nib surface is flat on the paper and not tilted up on one side.

Regrip the pen with your regular grip and write.

Don't try and contort your hand to use the nib.

To use an oblique nib>

Now rotate the pen so the nib surface is flat on the paper and not tilted up on one side.

I guess I'm autocorrecting the nib orientation or something. I could try what you describe here with conscious effort, but I've already pulled the nib, cleaned and dried it for its imminent shipping to a new home. If I don't find a home for it by the weekend, I may have some time Sunday to try it again...but I've little inspiration since the arrival of 8 other nibs, 6 being italics (which are more interesting to me at the moment). I have a lot of new stuff to play with right now, lol.

To use an oblique nib>

So, if I do this, then look down at the paper, is the nib now at a bit of a slant, with the right side being higher up than the left side? I don't actually have an oblique nib in my possession, so I'm trying to figure this out from pictures. If I picturing it right, it's like how you place a calligraphy nib on the paper.