Piston Filler Comparison (M600, Lamy 2000, Pilot Ch92, Twsbi)

maverick777

Now that I've had 7 months of experience and many pens later I wanted to share my overall impression of the piston fillers I've acquired thus far in case some may find it useful.

The Family

http://i.imgur.com/dbNjOz8.jpg

Pelikans - They're every bit as good as their reputation. At full retail pricing, they're a little over priced, but at $250 and under they're a decent value. However, beyond the value aspect, these pens have great history and a classic design that just resonates with me. I like them a lot more than Montblanc pens from a design standpoint. The removable nib design is fantastic and the nib performance is incredibly smooth. These are my favorite overall pens. Especially the blue/black and red/black which were my grail pens. Pelikan nibs have a reputation for writing broad and wet and I can confirm both attributes. The EF nib on my Pelikan writes like a Japanese FM and it's wetter than my Pilot nibs. This isn't good or bad, just different. Some inks look better with a wet nib and some look worse. So matching inks with the nib is important. Something I'm growing more and more aware of and appreciative of as I obtain more inks. The writing experience is very pleasant if somewhat lacking in character. It works great for my purposes of journaling and jotting notes. The nibs have a small amount of give/softness to them, but not as much as my Pilot nibs. All 4 pens wrote perfectly out of the box. No adjustments needed.

I'm going to be looking to get an M800 and 400/N/NN at some point to complete my Pelikan experience. I don't think I'll get an M1000 anytime soon since I prefer medium sized pens. I may get an M600 in white tortoise as well if I can find them at a reasonable price.

Nib performance - *****

Value - *** (at full retail) ***** (what I paid)

Construction - *****

Looks - *****

Nib consistency out of the box - *****

Bonus Points: easy to remove and exchangeable nibs. Wide variety of pen sizes and nib options currently (BB and above nibs are being discontinued as well as specialty nibs, but not an issue for me since I don't like super broad nibs)

These are my #1 overall pen.

http://i.imgur.com/udj97oH.jpg

Pilot - Their reputation for consistent nib quality and value for your money is an accurate assessment. The CH 92's offer incredible value. They have a piston mechanism that's every bit as good as the Pelikan design. Only time will tell which is more durable, but I have a feeling both will outlast me. The nibs are also incredibly smooth just like the Pelikan but offer a finer line and a slightly more soft/springy feel. From a feel standpoint, I think the Pilot nibs are better than my Pelikan nibs because I prefer that springiness. From a smoothness standpoint, they're on equal grounds. The Pilot F nib is great for bad paper or when you need a really fine line. It has a touch of feedback which is to be expected given the size of the nib which is closer to a western extra fine or finer, but it's still very smooth. The FM is buttery smooth and on par with the Pelikan nibs. It's my preferred line width and currently my favorite nib from any manufacturer. It's pretty plain looking compared to Pelikan nibs, but it gets the job done very well.

My only wish is that Pilot would introduce some non demonstrator designs to this lineup. I really like demonstrators, but it would be nice to have something more classic in design as well. In a professional/business setting my Pelikans or Lamy 2000 fit the part better.

I will preface that I purchased my orange one for only $51 and my black one for $100 which are insane deals at those prices. At the going rate of $130-140 from Japan they're still excellent values.

Nib performance - *****

Value - ***** (probably 6 out of 5 stars really)

Construction - *****

Looks - ****

Nib consistency out of the box - **** (I returned an EF Vanishing Point which had a scratchy nib)

http://i.imgur.com/4hYitpP.jpg

Lamy 2000 - Ah yes. The classic Lamy 2000. They currently have a reputation for nib consistency issues, but my EF was perfect out of the box so I lucked out. The makralon finish has an interesting texture. The construction is top notch. The parts are precision fit and leave very small seams which are hard to notice unless you're looking for them. It's constructed like a BMW. I will say however, that the piston nob has a little more give before turning in comparison to my Pelikan and Pilot pens. The pen has a classic and understated look. I love it. It was the first fountain pen I wanted to acquire. The history of the pen also adds to my overall impression of the pen. I still can't believe it was designed in the 1960's. It's such a futuristic looking pen. The only knock I have against the Lamy 2000 now that I have other nice pens to compare it to is the semi-hooded nib. I tend to rotate my pen slightly as I write and it makes it difficult to visually see if my nib to turn it to the proper direction. It wouldn't be a huge issue if the sweet spot wasn't so much smaller than my other pens. Again, this is a comparison against other "end pens". Compared to my TWSBIs or Lamy Safari it's a huge upgrade.

Nib performance - **** (Took off a * because of the semi-hooded nib, writing performance is equal to Pilot or Pelikan. The limited sweet spot coupled with the hooded nib affects my overall experience)

Value - *****

Construction - *****

Looks - ****

Nib consistency - ***** (based on my single experience. based on what I've read, probably a ****)

http://i.imgur.com/WjWKXgu.jpg

TWSBI When I first got my TWSBI's my impressions were very positive. But I didn't have anything other than my Lamy 2000 to compare them to. Now that I have a few more pens to compare, I'll say my experience is mostly positive, but not as much as before. The plastic used in these pens has a noticeably cheaper feel to them than my Pilot and Pelikan pens. Not all plastics are created equal. It's only to be expected given these pens are 1/3 to 1/5 the price. Before I had my Pilot and Pelikan pens, I wasn't sold on the fact that pens that are that much more expensive could give a noticeable enough difference to justify the cost. Now speaking from experience I'll repeat what many have said before. There's definitely a difference and it's worth it's weight it gold both figuratively and literally. For the price of the 3 TWSBI's I own, I could've gotten another Pilot or Pelikan. I don't necessarily regret buying the TWSBI's, but if I had to choose, then I'd put the money towards a Pilot or Pelikan in a heartbeat.

TWSBI is well known for their excellent customer service. This is a double edge sword. They're known for their service because their pens have problems. They're just quick to resolve them. My TWSBI Mini's rose gold plating started coming off my nib last week. TWSBI has promptly sent me a replacement nib, feed, and section but that doesn't inspire confidence that this pen will last the test of time compared to my Pelikan and Lamy 2000 which are known quantities in the durability department. I once thought the nibs are quite smooth. Which they are compared to my Lamy Safaris. But compared to my 14k nibs, it's a big difference. I've smoothed out the nibs with micromesh and whatnot which has improved the feel, but it's still not as good.

Value - ***

Construction - ****

Looks - ****

Nib consistency - ****

Hopefully that gives you an idea of my overall experience so far. Let me know if I left out any details that you still have questions about or want further feedback on.

Writing Samples

http://i.imgur.com/Ak5V9en.jpg

TL;DR - Pelikan > Pilot > Lamy >>>>> TWSBI

Edited by maverick777

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maverick777

• RNHC

• OakIris

• Algester

Great review. I own the Pelikan M800 and a couple of M1000s. My experience mirrors yours. Also love the Lamy 2000. I have had no problems with the so-called inconsistent quality control. I think most of the problems that people seem to be having could be ascribed to user error.

Excellent review & comparison.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Very nice review of your various pens. I would agree with your analysis of the Pelikans and the TWSBI. I do not have the Pilot Ch92, just several metropolitans, and two Sailor 1911 standard models. I felt the Pelikan M600 was as large a size as I want, even though I have large hands.

I see the ESV bible in your pictures. I recently finished writing out the ESV Psalms with my Sailor 1911s (medium nib) with Cult Pen Dark blue ink, which turned out very well. I used a Staples bagasse ringed notebook, and I plan to pass the notebook on to my daughter.

Thanks again for the review.

Jerry

A nice and lovely 'family' of pens you have, Maverick777, (I'll take one of each, please!!) and thank you for your very informative post.

I have a few Lamy's, including the 2000, a couple of TWSBI's (Mini and Micarta v2,) one vintage Pelikan 400 (in their iconic green/black stripe combo) and several inexpensive Pilots (Metropolitans, 78Gs and a Plumix. ) I like them all and the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 has been on my wishlist for a bit, so I read through your comparisons with great interest. Now I really want to get that CH92!

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Well done, maverick. (And clever ink bottle arrangement!)

I concur on modern Pelikans. My Lamy 2000 with fine nib is apparently an example of the QC problems you mentioned: quite dry and scratchy compared to the other fine nibs I own.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

good thing you lucked out on your lamy 2000 while my initial liking to the pen is good my initial experience with the pen wasnt good thing club connections helped me alleviate the extreme dry and flow issues with the nib (and it's not going back to our service center for another "cleaning"), Pilot ahh Pilot... though the Custom Heritage 92 does appeal to my form factor liking not so much about the nib selection so I went for the cheaper route and got me it's other cousin the Heritage 91 soft nib helps (Soft-Medium) but the CON-70 converter... guh... that converter... I might buy another one if it every makes a difference maybe I will bite at the Heritage 92 but I'm still eyeing on the Heritage 912 another trip to tokyo is a must for me... REALLY A MUST this time no more buying pens for other people I just want to indulge for myself a bit... Pelikan... to me they are overpriced at retail so I don't see the appeal and I can't buy them at credit either sure the design is there but beyond that I don't like wet nibs (apparently Pelikans are known to be wet) for reasons of being a southpaw plus they arent even easy to clean without going to the M800 range at the very least. TWSBI ahh my mini and Micarta good pens overall but the design flaws on the mini what I noticed is the feed though user-serviceable the number 4 feed and the number 5 feed not so much... and I'll be honest I like how the 580 nib looks in the mini plus the 580 nib is more easy to dismantle than the number 4 nib (a mixed bag). But for me I like the maintenance factor in my pens Lamy 2000, TWSBI mini and Pilot Custom Heritage 92 all fit that bill though you would still need the spanner from TWSBI to dismantle the Heritage 92

Delightful review! Thanks for placing these detailed observations side-by-side. (Of course it helps that your careful work agrees with my much more casual observations ...)

ron

• 2 weeks later...

I think a fair evaluation overall. One thing to consider though is that whilst you could buy 1 pel/pil for 3 twsbi, it is nice to have a pen you can use less friendly inks in that if it all goes badly you dont weep too many tears over. For me, that is what my twbis indian and chinese pens cover: I quite like some of the less well behaved inks from the noodlers stable, but prefer not to hazard a more expensive or vintage pen.

Maverick777,

Thanks for the great comparison review. For the pens I own, I totally agree with your assessment. I have 3 Pelikans, an M205 and M600 both Fine, and a 400NN in Left Oblique. The quality of all the Pelikans is beyond reproach, but I find the newer ones (not the NN) a bit without "character". It's hard to describe. Very formal and proper?

I have two Lamy 2000s, one Fine bought new, and one Broad at a yard sale "broken" because someone had apparently taken it apart but not seated the piston correctly on reassembly. Lucky day for me. I may be fortunate, both are a bit juicy and write beautifully. I really like the feel of the Makralon. The give in the piston knobs is very fortunate for me. I post the pens, and find myself giving the cap a little twist when I am going to cap the pens. That little bit of give has saved me from making a mess.

The only TWSBI I have is the Vac700, so not a piston, but again I agree with your comments. The plastic feel does not stand up to the other pens. I bought the pen just as they were switching from Bock to Jowo nibs, so I got a new nib & feed assembly included for free with the pen. But even the new nib needed some adjusting. I do give TWSBI credit, as did you, for their service. The newer nib because the old one was problematic, plus a new wrench no questions asked when I dropped mine down a return air vent. The original nib has found a home on what was a too wet pen, and it's doing fine there.

Thanks again. Really liked your review.

(edited to correct Bock and Jowo)

Edited by kkshadow

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback.

I think a fair evaluation overall. One thing to consider though is that whilst you could buy 1 pel/pil for 3 twsbi, it is nice to have a pen you can use less friendly inks in that if it all goes badly you dont weep too many tears over. For me, that is what my twbis indian and chinese pens cover: I quite like some of the less well behaved inks from the noodlers stable, but prefer not to hazard a more expensive or vintage pen.

I agree. I'm currently using my TWSBI's to test out ink mixtures or inks that I think might cause staining.

Maverick777,

Thanks for the great comparison review. For the pens I own, I totally agree with your assessment. I have 3 Pelikans, an M205 and M600 both Fine, and a 400NN in Left Oblique. The quality of all the Pelikans is beyond reproach, but I find the newer ones (not the NN) a bit without "character". It's hard to describe. Very formal and proper?

I have two Lamy 2000s, one Fine bought new, and one Broad at a yard sale "broken" because someone had apparently taken it apart but not seated the piston correctly on reassembly. Lucky day for me. I may be fortunate, both are a bit juicy and write beautifully. I really like the feel of the Makralon. The give in the piston knobs is very fortunate for me. I post the pens, and find myself giving the cap a little twist when I am going to cap the pens. That little bit of give has saved me from making a mess.

The only TWSBI I have is the Vac700, so not a piston, but again I agree with your comments. The plastic feel does not stand up to the other pens. I bought the pen just as they were switching from Bock to Jowo nibs, so I got a new nib & feed assembly included for free with the pen. But even the new nib needed some adjusting. I do give TWSBI credit, as did you, for their service. The newer nib because the old one was problematic, plus a new wrench no questions asked when I dropped mine down a return air vent. The original nib has found a home on what was a too wet pen, and it's doing fine there.

Thanks again. Really liked your review.

(edited to correct Bock and Jowo)

Yes. I totally agree modern Pelikan nibs lack character. However, that's not an issue for me since my writing is pretty small so even with a stub or italic nib, there would be a very small amount of variation. At some point I'll get a Pelikan broad nib ground to a 0.6mm stub for fun, but that's down the road. For everyday writing, the ball nibs would great for me.

good thing you lucked out on your lamy 2000 while my initial liking to the pen is good my initial experience with the pen wasnt good thing club connections helped me alleviate the extreme dry and flow issues with the nib (and it's not going back to our service center for another "cleaning"), Pilot ahh Pilot... though the Custom Heritage 92 does appeal to my form factor liking not so much about the nib selection so I went for the cheaper route and got me it's other cousin the Heritage 91 soft nib helps (Soft-Medium) but the CON-70 converter... guh... that converter... I might buy another one if it every makes a difference maybe I will bite at the Heritage 92 but I'm still eyeing on the Heritage 912 another trip to tokyo is a must for me... REALLY A MUST this time no more buying pens for other people I just want to indulge for myself a bit... Pelikan... to me they are overpriced at retail so I don't see the appeal and I can't buy them at credit either sure the design is there but beyond that I don't like wet nibs (apparently Pelikans are known to be wet) for reasons of being a southpaw plus they arent even easy to clean without going to the M800 range at the very least. TWSBI ahh my mini and Micarta good pens overall but the design flaws on the mini what I noticed is the feed though user-serviceable the number 4 feed and the number 5 feed not so much... and I'll be honest I like how the 580 nib looks in the mini plus the 580 nib is more easy to dismantle than the number 4 nib (a mixed bag). But for me I like the maintenance factor in my pens Lamy 2000, TWSBI mini and Pilot Custom Heritage 92 all fit that bill though you would still need the spanner from TWSBI to dismantle the Heritage 92

I fully agree that Pelikans at full retail pricing are overpriced. However, at $260 they were worth it to me (that's the most I paid for any of my Pelikans I actually got the black/rhodium one for $130 and marine blue and red/black for $240). Certainly the build quality and material is equal to or better than comparable Sailor or Pilot pens in the same price range and they have a more appealing and classic design to me than the Japanese pens I'd consider.

While I agree that the Pelikans below the m800 are harder to clean, I don't find cleaning them difficult. Sure the piston mechanism can't be removed as easily (and not really recommended to take apart at any time), but I don't see why you would need to remove the piston anytime soon for cleaning. The fact that the nibs twist out so easily makes cleaning a breeze. Even if I needed to lube up the piston later it wouldn't require removing the mechanism to do so. Plus I'll take the tradeoff since the brass mechanism changes the balance of the pen. I'm not sure why Pelikan couldn't just make the mechanism out of plastic and still make it removeable. Or use aluminum instead of brass like the Pilot CH92.

Also love the Lamy 2000. I have had no problems with the so-called inconsistent quality control. I think most of the problems that people seem to be having could be ascribed to user error.

User error? How hard is it to use a fountain pen? As with Barnaby Bumble, my Lamy 2000 fine nib was dry and scratchy. It took quite a bit of tweaking and smoothing to get it to write to my liking.

I'm one of those people whose grip makes using a Lamy 2000 problematic. Those little sprung ears that hold the cap on are just too far from flush, and sharp enough, to irritate my thumb to no end. It's a shame, because I think otherwise it's just the sort of pen I would love.

Thank you for the wonderful review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY