Recommendations For A Mont Blanc Fountain Pen

Get a similar looking Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum until you are very very sure you really need the snowflake on the cap. They write just as well and will cost much much less.

Actually, no. Sailors and Platinums write very well, but the characteristic of a MB nib, especially on the 149, is quite different. And I say this as someone who owns Sailors and Platinums ranging from $200-1500, and who really likes their nibs: especially the Platinum nibs.

And nice though the 1911L may be, timeless classic it is not. Homages seldom tend to achieve that status.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SE1980

• OngL

• de_pen_dent

• zaddick

FWIW, I know it for a fact that Brian C has owned several 149s, 146s and several Japanese pens from the low end customs to very high end Dani Trios.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Once you really get into foutain pens it is all over anyway. With that said-- get a 149. Eventually you will want one-- its inevitable.

FWIW, I know it for a fact that Brian C has owned several 149s, 146s and several Japanese pens from the low end customs to very high end Dani Trios.

Sure. I can still disagree with his opinion, though :)

Sure. I can still disagree with his opinion, though :)

of course. I wanted to inform that it is very likely his opinion is shaped by his experience, that matters a lot in my view.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

and yet he still missed the point.

at least he did in the way he framed that response.

my mother insists coke and pepsi taste the same, and she has had both many more times than I, especially since I very rarely drink either. yet they taste very different to me. my mother is perfectly capable of detecting the differences between two wines, though, so I doubt it to be any specific taste ability. point being, experience only implies discrimination, it does not guarantee it. not that this is directed at Brian, per se.

of course. I wanted to inform that it is very likely his opinion is shaped by his experience, that matters a lot in my view.

Fair enough - looking back at my initial post, it appears as though I was discounting that. Sorry, Brian C - that was not my intent. I was using my experience with Platinum and Sailor to support my argument, and not implying that you lacked the same experience.

But I do stand by what I said. Sailors and Platinums will accomplish the same task - writing well. As will a $5 Hero. The Sailors and more so the Platinums have a very consistent, high quality nib for writing, but IMO, the MB nib - especially on the 149 - has a characteristic that is noticeably unique/different.

And the OP is looking for a classic pen that will withstand the test of time. The MB Meisterstuck is that pen. Not the Sailor. We can make a "value" argument as per our tastes, but that's not what the OP asked for.

MB Meisterstuck 146 if you want to be able to clip to your shirt. I love the 149 and it is my favorite to write with however, I just can't wear it as easily while clipped to my shirt.

Agreed with the 146 and 149 recommendations. Is there a "Montblanc Boutique" near you? They typically have inked up 146s in varying nib widths hidden away for serious customers. This would let you get a feel for that pen, and they should have 149s in stock to do a quick comparison of nib size and section thickness.

I like and have both, but if I had to choose today I might lean toward the 149. The nib is really that much, um, more. For a general everyday user MB, the 146 might be a better size.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

as well, sure.

the same? no.

also a MB as an overall pen is significantly superior to anything made by those companies that doesn't cost within shouting distance of a used MB. In addition to greater ink capacity than any Sailor and most Pilots, the level of finish on a 146 or 149, even from the "bad" era of MB, is of a different class. that may not be important to you, but as a person who owns a 1911L and MB 146, in addition to having owned other Sailors and MBs, I would buy a second 146 but if my 1911L broke I simply would not.

If you want a Japanese pen, why not get what they do well instead of one of their homages? the OP can afford a 500 dollar pen, there's no reason not to get something he can appreciate like a 146, King of Pen, Custom 845, etc. I think Sailor, Platinum and Pilot all make fantastic pens that compete with MB. unless youre very very sure you want a soulless tool, because that's about what those mb "homages" are.

@OP buy a 146, a good one will NOT disappoint you. my current 146 is my favorite pen despite not being the most expensive and despite people taking every opportunity they can to fire shots at MB.

... and this is how people convince themselves to pay a $300 premium for an MB. Just about everything here is one person's subjective judgement, open to dispute by non-fans. If you are sold on the image, MB is worth the money. If you are more in love with writing, you might want to explore other choices.

ron

... and this is how people convince themselves to pay a $300 premium for an MB. Just about everything here is one person's subjective judgement, open to dispute by non-fans. If you are sold on the image, MB is worth the money. If you are more in love with writing, you might want to explore other choices.

ron

if by readily visible, easily demonstrable and infinitely repeatable differences in finish level, we say that everything is subjective, then sure.

If I were to spend 500 bucks on MB I`d go vintage:

firstly, a vintage MB 149 (or 146, depending), which leaves enough money for

secondly, a 50ies MB 342 AND, perhaps even a 60ies MB24 (Meisterstück version or standard)

All 2 or 3 piston-fillers with different nibs, of course :)

(I`m quite sure that the older nibs are better than the new ones!)

Everything that is good today was better yesterday

Edited by Polanova

I wanted a 146, but when I tested a Boheme, I fell in love. The only thing I don't like about the Boheme is that it only uses cartridges.

I recommend you do what I did at 22. Buy a sterling or stainless 146. They are durable, classy, and will last at least your lifetime. I cannot cut and paste on my phone, but eBay has one in your budget in beautiful condition. Also, I'm glad I wasted no time with copies--life is short. In other words, not a black one!

Hello pen aficionados,

As of late I have had a growing interest in premium writing instruments. Currently I am the owner of a possible ancestor of the Parker Sonnet Deep Black Lacquer (rollerball), which was passed down to me, and a Parker Sonnet Matte Black Fountain Pen with a fine nib. I am now looking to acquire a Mont Blanc fountain pen that is within a budget of at most 550 USD. I am a looking for a classic pen that is timeless yet still made today. The pen has to also last for some time, though most pens from Mont Blanc already do. Note that you'd might want to take into account that my age is quite young, under 25.

I would be grateful for any help that anyone could give me. I look forward to any replies.

So have you decided yet?

Personally I think unless you can test the 149 beforehand, I'd avoid this oversized pen.

I think a 146 is probably the safest recommendation, although my favourites are a 144 with a BB nib. Great writer... :)

When you make a decision on what you want, be sure to browse the classifieds we have here.

I was in the same decision point a couple weeks ago. I have been a ballpoint user and was looking at looking at fountain pen.

As advices given, on most cases, one can not go wrong with 149/146. I choose the bigger one as it is comfortable and yet visually pleasing to look at the nib when writing.

I read the forum, it seems some who has a number of meisterstuck, would choose one as primary instrument and places the remaining stationary at office or home.

Another option is to go for different style like heritage series of 100 year which is light and smaller.

Edited by OngL

I own a Sailor 1911-L and a 'regular' 1911 (what they sometimes call M).

How does the 149 and 146 compare in size to either/both?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.