Esterbrook J? ...stumped...

gweimer1

I got this one in the mail today. I'm not quite sure what it is, and I haven't found one like it in any of the reference pages I've searched. It's kind of like a Safari, but not quite. It looks more like a newer J, but the cap puzzles me. Smaller lever bar, logo stamped around the barrel (the eBay pic showed that looking like scratches), and a cap with a very different clip.

What do the experts say?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/gweimer/Esterbrook_J_New_Black_zpsa6ab3c0c.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• antoniosz

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

Well, I am no expert, but the body looks like a Deluxe. But, the Deluxes (as far as I know) had metal caps. Cap sort of looks Safari-ish, but I always thought they had thinner cap bands. What does it look like in profile?

Jeff

That's what I see - It's like one pen, then like another, but nothing solid.

The pen is 5 1/4" long capped, a little on the slender side like an LJ, and the metal rings on each end are a little wider than the normal Esterbrook J pens.

This is one of the very late LJs that have the strange clip and lever.

IIRC from previous discussion, they are documented. I seem to remember someone (Brian, Antoniosz...) posting a catalog shot.

My recollection is that they were made in the standard six J-family colors.

Best, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

That's cool!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The same clip appears on an Esterbrook .... felt tip...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

VERY PRETTY

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

LateLJ%2520003.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Tough to hear the emphasis in text, but if you've seen Napoleon Dynamite and remember the housewife and the model ship you'll have an idea of what I sound like when I say...

I want that.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Very nice, I've never seen one of these. That's the great thing about collecting Esties. Every time you think you have one of everything it turns out there's more.

I have something very similar - thanks to Cryptos who PIF'd it to me. An LJ Bell Systems pen. Doesn't have the clip yours does, but does have the same cap band, lever and imprint - horizontal instead of the length of the barrel. Mine has a 2464 B manifold nib.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Update - I opened it up and started working on it tonight. I think this pen was possibly inked only once. The cap looks brand new. There has never been a single drop in ink inside there. The J bar is still shiny. The only thing with these is that the section fit is a little funky. The section itself doesn't seem to be as sturdy as the older J pens.

Compared to what we know as Estie plastic, that stuff is garbage.

Shrinks real bad too. It's real common to have spinning cap bands with them as a result.

Surely the result of severe cost cutting measures in the final days.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Shrinks real bad too. It's real common to have spinning cap bands with them as a result.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Yep...I think there's a little of that going on.

• 2 months later...

Hello to old and new friends. I am still alive :)
Yes we talked about this in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/4512-shapes-of-levers-for-esties-icicles-shown-here/

So this could be the "Infamous" black icicle ;)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/estie-levers.jpg

Man, that post was from 10 years ago... What happen to the time? :)

Good to see you are still playing Esterbrooks...Bad to know you are still competition...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.