Stipula Repairs: What's With The Delays?

dms525

I am confused why Stipula is servicing a Nettuno? Mine had it's "3 month plus Italian Holiday" with Aurora after I sent it to Kenro. I think it was the dealer who sold it to me that informed me of the distributor.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• SoCalBilling

• Phormula

• mge01park

No question that Stipula makes "very nice pens." In fact, I think that is an understatement. They are amazing .... if they aren't broken.

I have never heard that a smaller enterprise is more difficult to organize than a larger one.

I would rather Stipula turned around repairs faster, but the bigger issue is their lack of communication, both with the pen user and with their distributor. In contrast, when I send a pen (or 4) off to a nibmeister in the US, I get an immediate estimate of when I can expect to get it/them back. It may be months, but I feel better having this information. Note that this information often comes in an automated email reply or is posted on the company web site, so it requires zero time from the company.

Stipula's lack of communication is at best rude. At worst, it suggests poor organization and unreliability and makes one wonder about quality control and other aspects of manufacturing. This uncertainty makes one hesitant to spend a lot of money on their product.

David

Couldn't agree more; well said.

Not to find an excuse, but as far as I have undetstood Stipula is a very small company: 5 or 6 peoples in total.

Probably that explain why they are not well organized.

i'm also waiting for my Nettuno back from them since october. Luckly I havr other pens to use, in the meantime!

Those are the small disadvantages in having to do with small artigianal companies. On the other hand they manufacture very nice pens.

I didn't realize it was that small of a company, but even so, I don't think that is an excuse for their lack of turn around time on repairs, nor their lack of communication with their distributor on these issues. They've been around long enough to have known about and addressed these issues.

I did look at their site and there was a photo of what I can only assume is of the Stipula employee's, and there are about 30 people in the photo ... so maybe not as small as 5 or 6 people.

Anthony

I am confused why Stipula is servicing a Nettuno? Mine had it's "3 month plus Italian Holiday" with Aurora after I sent it to Kenro. I think it was the dealer who sold it to me that informed me of the distributor.

Because that model of Nettuno was manufactured crom Stipula.

Nertuno is a brand, and the ask fo other producers to make theyr pens.

I have never heard that a smaller enterprise is more difficult to organize than a larger one.

David

You are right, but a small enterprise goes in trouble easier in case they have too much work to do.

In addition, probably they give priority in producing new pens then in repairing.

Dont forget that Stipula cames out recently from something similar to a bankruptcy.

I didn't realize it was that small of a company, but even so, I don't think that is an excuse for their lack of turn around time on repairs, nor their lack of communication with their distributor on these issues. They've been around long enough to have known about and addressed these issues.

I did look at their site and there was a photo of what I can only assume is of the Stipula employee's, and there are about 30 people in the photo ... so maybe not as small as 5 or 6 people.

Anthony

In the article on newspaper in summer 2013 when stipula was closed, they mentioned that 10 peoples lost the job because of having closed the company.

When newspapers mention the number of emploees jobless, normally they exagerate the number of them, to make the case bigger than it is.

I've seen the picture you mentioned, but either is quite old, or it is not true.

Because that model of Nettuno was manufactured crom Stipula.

Nertuno is a brand, and the ask fo other producers to make theyr pens.

Thank you for your answer. I will probably not be acquiring any more Nettunos but it would seem difficult to keep track of who to send your pen to for repair.

Thank you for your answer. I will probably not be acquiring any more Nettunos but it would seem difficult to keep track of who to send your pen to for repair.

Nettuno is a brand owned by a family in Bologna, and they still have a very nice pen shop there, named "A.C. Vecchietti".

I very well know that shop, as I did the univrsity in Bologna, and i'm customer of them since 30 years.

Marina Vecchietti was a great pen repairer and a very well known person among pen lovers. She was the grand-daughter of Ada Corazza Vecchietti, if Im not wrong.

Marina died about 10 years ago, and now the shop is owned by the 2 sons.

My Nettuno, the first pen they did when they started again to make pens, had the problem of loose ring in the cap.

I took it to Vecchietti, and they told me that this model was manufactured by Stipula, so my pen was sent back to them.

The more recent model they did are manufatured by Delta, they told me.

So, I think that in case of problems any Nettuno pen could just be sent back to the place where it was bought, and then it will be repaired.

I dont see reasons to not buy any more Nettuno only because they do not manufacture pens on the own !

Stipula moved factory and offices at the beginning of January, and this is the reason of the huge delay in all activities (production, repair, even communication).

I'm experiencing the same difficulties.

However, I trust they will reopen soon and fullfill all waiting orders.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Stipula moved factory and offices at the beginning of January, and this is the reason of the huge delay in all activities (production, repair, even communication).

Are you referring to January of 2015?

Yes, of course

Ok, just making sure. I waited 6 months last year to get my pen back from repair, so I don't think this closure in January has much to do with current delays - they normally have delays.

Ok, just making sure. I waited 6 months last year to get my pen back from repair, so I don't think this closure in January has much to do with current delays - they normally have delays.

sorry ... I meant, their recent move, not closure.

Thanks, Susanna! That is new information to me. If that were the entire explanation for the delays, and they will soon be back in business it would be encouraging. However, the lack of communication remains both rude and bad for business. A move of the entire business should have been communicated to the company's distributors, at least, I would think.

I would note that they had my pen for about six months before their January move. So the move does not entirely excuse the delay in repairing and returning my pen. The move presents just an additional delay.

I take it from your reply that they are still not "open."

Anyway, I appreciate your sharing the information.

David

Yes, I understand your annoyance. It's the same for me.

Stipula made a corporate restructuring in 2013, and also in 2014, axing employees and costs. The 30 people of the picture in their website are just a vague memory. The website itself, is obsolete and no longer updated since more than 2 years.

No wonder that you don't get answers: nobody does. The only employee left was overloaded or maybe hadn't the proficiency to do it. Even for a dealer, I had to call over and over to get many "don't know" and rare answers.

Now, they are moving office and factory and nobody knows when they will be operative again. They can't forecast a date and I'm really tired to wait.

Therefore, I'm selling out all the Stipula pens left in stock and don't accept new bookings or orders because I can't even foresee a shipping date.

It's a pity, I really love Stipula pens and I sincerely hope that the company will come back to normality.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Yes, I understand your annoyance. It's the same for me.

Stipula made a corporate restructuring in 2013, and also in 2014, axing employees and costs. The 30 people of the picture in their website are just a vague memory. The website itself, is obsolete and no longer updated since more than 2 years.

No wonder that you don't get answers: nobody does. The only employee left was overloaded or maybe hadn't the proficiency to do it. Even for a dealer, I had to call over and over to get many "don't know" and rare answers.

Now, they are moving office and factory and nobody knows when they will be operative again. They can't forecast a date and I'm really tired to wait.

Therefore, I'm selling out all the Stipula pens left in stock and don't accept new bookings or orders because I can't even foresee a shipping date.

It's a pity, I really love Stipula pens and I sincerely hope that the company will come back to normality.

Thank you for this information Susanna. I've just recently sent my Stipula pen back to Yafa for repair. They won't be able to repair it and will need to send it back to Stipula. But now I am concerned if I'll ever get it back. Maybe I should just inform Yafa to send the pen back to me and I'll pay someone else to repair it.

I had to send to repair an Etruria Rainbow, found faulty out of the box.

It took me three months to have it fixed.

As far as I know, the company is left with a bunch of employees after filing for the equivalent of chapter 11 and having to let go of almost all people.

Hope they will get back on track, but I don't know how long it will take.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

What a shame, I really like all my Stipula's! I hope that they don't go bad and require repair's........

Darn it, one of my most expensive Stipula's needs repairs and I just bought it about 1 month ago. Now what do I do???

Try contacting Yafa in the US.

Stipula is in business, they did not so much let go of people, the work has been distributed in a different way.

At the old factory they only manufacture the more expensive pens now, and AFF (the holding company) has taken overthe production of the cheaper pens.

I actually received a repaired pen in January this year.

I do not think they are all geared up yet for extensive support. In addition, In Europe, according to law, this really lies with the retailer. Normally one cannot contact a manufacturer directly for repairs or warranty issues over here, it has to go through the retail chain where the item was acquired.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever