New Problem With Customs

GatzBcn

Maybe some of you read a thread I posted some weeks ago regarding a fountain pen not being able to pass customs because it had gold. After many weeks of waiting, I finally had a conciliation session with a lawyer of the courier I used (Estafeta) and I managed to get my pen back.

I wanted to send the pen again, this time using FedEx. I had sent using DHL previously other pens and I had had no problem. However, FedEx said I couldn't ship the pen because of the golden nib. Being a precious metal, it is forbidden and customs would return it.

So, I walked a few streets more and I went to DHL. I was told that well, yes, they ship items with gold, but they don't declare it because if you declare the gold, the item can't pass.

Seriously? A Mexican person can't send ANYTHING with gold? And moreover, I've received several pens here that I bought online, seriously I can't send them back for repair?

I think it is amazing and, quite frankly, very sad that I should have to lie to send such a dangerous item as a fountain pen back to the US for repair.

I've given up. Luckily I am returning to Barcelona soon and I will go to a nib meister that lives there. I bet they won't take the fountain pen away from me if I carry it on.

Edited by GatzBcn

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• SockAddict

• GatzBcn

• martinbir

A few years ago, when I was in Mexico, I had no problem buying all the gold my wife wanted.

The US also had such a law....for some 40 or more years until it got changed in perhaps the '80's. You could buy US coins but not gold bars...even the small ones.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Yeah, that makes no sense :(.

Sad thing, I could wear gold earring, gold necklace, gold jewellery in general and travel with no problem. But I can't ship a fountain pen just because it has 1/10 of the gold a single earring would have.

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

Is there an official statement of why gold can't be sent? You seem to think that they believe it is a "dangerous item" , why do you think that? It also doesn't make sense that "because it has 1/10 of the gold a single earring would have." it can't be shipped. Have you seen the official wording of this rule? That would be interesting.

Larry

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Is there an official statement of why gold can't be sent? You seem to think that they believe it is a "dangerous item" , why do you think that? It also doesn't make sense that "because it has 1/10 of the gold a single earring would have." it can't be shipped. Have you seen the official wording of this rule? That would be interesting.

Larry

Hmmm. I'm wondering if there has been an issue with laundering money by shipping gold objects (given the current price of gold) as a way to circumvent the laws involving money transfers (transferred or deposited amounts routinely get flagged by banks as "suspicious activity"). And as such tranfers are then shifted over to something other than legal tender currency (gold or diamines) suspicions then fall in that direction. So the shipping companies are hedging their bets -- by not declaring an item has gold, the package slides under the radar of law enforcement (and the company isn't put under scrutiny). Particularly with international sales. Although they may be breaking laws regarding tariffs and customs in the process.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmmm. I'm wondering if there has been an issue with laundering money by shipping gold objects (given the current price of gold) as a way to circumvent the laws involving money transfers (transferred or deposited amounts routinely get flagged by banks as "suspicious activity"). And as such tranfers are then shifted over to something other than legal tender currency (gold or diamines) suspicions then fall in that direction. So the shipping companies are hedging their bets -- by not declaring an item has gold, the package slides under the radar of law enforcement (and the company isn't put under scrutiny). Particularly with international sales. Although they may be breaking laws regarding tariffs and customs in the process.

Freudian slip :lticaptd:

Freudian slip :lticaptd:

:lticaptd:

Yeah, thanks for catching that. Maybe it's my subconscious telling me I really need to try that sample of Tyrian Purple. Or the 4 remaining Flower Collection inks (the set was my last year's Christmas sort of present from the husband -- sort of as in "Yeah, you can order it"). B)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I suspect the fact that it's also a fountain pen. People wear earrings and necklaces, but <snarky sarcasm on> everybody knows that nobody writes with fountain pens anymore. </snarky sarcasm> This isn't as outlandish as it sounds. First, think of how expensive modern gold nibs are. Then, let me tell you a story about knitting socks.

As you can probably tell by my screen name and pic, I'm a sock knitter. Socks are very popular in the knitting community, and have been for more than ten years. So, there are "clubs" where yarn producers/stores send out monthly shipments of a skein of sock yarn and a pattern. These can be both very popular and rather pricey. A few years ago, a bank employee looked at an account of a yarn company and said, "Nobody knits socks. There's no way this is a real club. These people are obviously being scammed in some way." Said employee closed the account and *sent all the money back to the members.*

Sometime the muggles are just really, really clueless.

I suspect the fact that it's also a fountain pen. People wear earrings and necklaces, but <snarky sarcasm on> everybody knows that nobody writes with fountain pens anymore. </snarky sarcasm> This isn't as outlandish as it sounds. First, think of how expensive modern gold nibs are. Then, let me tell you a story about knitting socks.

As you can probably tell by my screen name and pic, I'm a sock knitter. Socks are very popular in the knitting community, and have been for more than ten years. So, there are "clubs" where yarn producers/stores send out monthly shipments of a skein of sock yarn and a pattern. These can be both very popular and rather pricey. A few years ago, a bank employee looked at an account of a yarn company and said, "Nobody knits socks. There's no way this is a real club. These people are obviously being scammed in some way." Said employee closed the account and *sent all the money back to the members.*

Sometime the muggles are just really, really clueless.

Pardon for hijacking the thread, but I have to ask - where in the world did this happen? I have to share that story with a few people!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I would not be surprised if the prohibition against importing gold into Mexico was to prevent money laundering. The list of prohibited items is full of stuff like precious metals and gems (and cash) - according to the US Postal Service, it even goes as far as prohibiting "valuable items".

Since the prohibition doesn't spell out specific items of gold, it's all inclusive, I guess. Maybe DHL has the right idea - it's just a pen, right?

-Drew

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/drew_dunn1/Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-Death_zps051b46b5.jpg

I would not be surprised if the prohibition against importing gold into Mexico was to prevent money laundering. The list of prohibited items is full of stuff like precious metals and gems (and cash) - according to the US Postal Service, it even goes as far as prohibiting "valuable items".

But the OP was not using USPS or importing to Mexico; rather, trying to export from Mexico.

In Oregon, US, to Blue Moon Fiber Arts ( http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/newmoon/ ), about their Rockin' Socks Club. There is (or was, anyway) a waiting list to get into it.

I know someone that has done some of the Blue Moon Sock Club projects. I cannot *believe* that bank person was so completely clueless. "Nobody knits socks"? What planet was that person on?