Syrah - Diamine

visvamitra

I have mixed feelings about Diamine inks - I like the variety of colors and their intensity but many of them aren't well behaved (they tend to clog pens, cause nib creep / nib crud).

Syrah used to be my favourite color. I still like it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3784/26v4aq.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/6766/buyTsY.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img904/1648/xjHimg.jpg

Kitchen towel

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/907/6JFCS7.jpg

Software ID:

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3533/tRsW1s.jpg

Color range

Calendar - Hero 9300, M nib

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/9799/JqJDia.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img537/7041/73MG4Z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/3420/gqqaI0.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3581/dsjvED.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• visvamitra

• inkstainedruth

• maksim

VAMPIRE GHOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Awesome Review Vis... I don't know why I never bought a bottle of it.. Maybe I find it too similar to Akkerman Staten General Rood ?? :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I like your vampire ghost, too, Visvamitra. Hope you have shared it with amberleadavis!

None of the Diamine inks I have - mind you, I only have four of them - seem to misbehave, but due to the saturation, etc., of their inks, I imagine some might be prone to the problems you mentioned you have experienced with them. I have certainly heard that some of their 'orange-ish' inks can stain or cause nib creep/crud, such as Diamine Ochre and Diamine Ancient Copper. I don't think the use of Diamine inks is "banned" by some vendors, like Noodler's and Private Reserve inks are, though, and Diamine has been making fountain pen inks for a very long time, unlike such 'boutique' ink manufacturers. (Some folks say you should only use Parker or Waterman inks to keep your pens perfectly safe, but how boring would that be! Variety is the spice of life, right?!?)

One of the Diamine inks I do have is Syrah and I really like it. Had it in my Lamy 2000 for quite some time, and even with the EF nib on the Lamy, there was definite shading. And of course, this deep red ink coming out of the black Lamy makes quite a lovely combination. I also used it in my TWSBI Mini with a broad stub (special grind from Pendleton Brown) - a yummy color to see sloshing about in the TWSBI. Great flow, great shading, great color, well-behaved, not much to dislike about it, IMHO!

Holly

Nice review - really creative way of putting things together :) Thanks for posting...

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

Thank you huys for kind words.

Well - to be honest I prefer Noodler's over Diamine :)

When it comes to Syrah - I do like this ink. However a fellow fountain pen user from Poland has reported it actually partially "melted" the section of her Sheaffer Prelude. I've seen the pen in question and tle look was discouraging. I'm not able to tell whether it really was caused by Syrah or maybe some other ink she used before, but....

Oh, and I rather dislike Parker inks and Waterman's are just OK even though it seems they do have the same manufactirer at the moment :)

I love the inky!!

I'm with you, I prefer Noodler's to Diamine. Nevertheless, I love seeing them all. Thank you for the review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I had been avoiding this ink because I didn't think I liked burgundy toned reds. Of course, I *also* said that about blue-black inks at one point a couple of years ago....

Man, this web forum is just plain dangerous.... I've spent most of the past couple of days pouring over the KWZI ink reviews and scans. Then I made the mistake of looking at the comparison review of the 8 newest Sailor inks (some of which had *already* gone onto the "inks to order" spreadsheet). Now this. Sigh.

I'm pretty sure my husband hates you all.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love Syrah wines... but I HATE this ink. I like the color, very much, but behaves horribly.

Was one of the first inks I bought. Tried it in Parker Sonnet 14k Medium and a Lamy Al-Star Medium.... clogged both pens. Even capped, after a day, the pen would be extremely hard to start.

Right now reserved to only chinese pens, and even then, only used once a year for holiday cards.

I use Sirah on a Nakaya Decapod, as a daily 'red' ink. Indeed, it is one of the few Diamine inks that does not create problems like blotting, nib creep, etc.

I love Syrah wines... but I HATE this ink. I like the color, very much, but behaves horribly.

Was one of the first inks I bought. Tried it in Parker Sonnet 14k Medium and a Lamy Al-Star Medium.... clogged both pens. Even capped, after a day, the pen would be extremely hard to start.

Right now reserved to only chinese pens, and even then, only used once a year for holiday cards.

Maybe Syrah Diamine Dye and Parker Penman Ruby Dye are the same...!!!

:unsure:

:happyberet:

I like your vampire ghost, too, Visvamitra. Hope you have shared it with amberleadavis!

Tank you for thinking of me!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You really show an ink to the best of its abilities! The only Diamines I have had trouble with are Ancient Copper (a pox-like discharge on the nib) and Oxblood, which is a hard starter in any pen I've tried it in.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809