Beginner Needs Choice Of Ink And Paper

optoabhi

I recently bought a Pilot Metropolitan Medium. I have a pretty decent handwriting. I have a keen interest to write a letter to my SO, I have a few thoughts on some inks that may look beautiful, but I do need advise on what kind of paper and its specifications so that the ink doesn't bleed through etc.

My choices of inks so far:

​I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me select a good ink shade and a paper to write on.
Thank you.
Edited by optoabhi

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• optoabhi

• BookCat

• Bookman

• ac12

If you're buying your paper online, get Tomoe River "cream" paper, which is actually ivory. It goes with any ink color and tends to handle any ink, virtually impenetrable, despite its 52-gsm flimsiness. The thinness comes in handy at postage time. If you'd rather go to a brick-n-mortar, go to an office supply store and buy one or more of the following: 24lb HP Laserjet, if you want white or smooth paper; 24lb Southworth 25% Cotton Linen ivory paper or 25% Cotton Antique Laid ivory for a bit of texture. If it were me, I'd go with the Southworth linen.

As to inks, know your audience and give him or her what he or she would appreciate. The papers I've recommended will handle them.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

If you're buying your paper online, get Tomoe River "cream" paper, which is actually ivory. It goes with any ink color and tends to handle any ink, virtually impenetrable, despite its 52-gsm flimsiness. The thinness comes in handy at postage time. If you'd rather go to a brick-n-mortar, go to an office supply store and buy one or more of the following: 24lb HP Laserjet, if you want white or smooth paper; 24lb Southworth 25% Cotton Linen ivory paper or 25% Cotton Antique Laid ivory for a bit of texture. If it were me, I'd go with the Southworth linen.

As to inks, know your audience and give him or her what he or she would appreciate. The papers I've recommended will handle them.

Thank you. As for the audience, I think the Black swan in Australian roses (old) is a good choice. The ink seems to have changed since then. Is there any other ink you would recommend which can be close to that old one ?

Goulet Pens has a nice selection of papers that should handle fountain pen inks.

That is quite an assortment of inks.

The ink line that you get from YOUR pen could be different from that on the online samples. So I suggest that you get samples of the various inks to try them yourself in your pen on your paper and with your hand.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Completely agree on the ink samples recommendation - seeing as you're in the US, hop over to goulet pens and just spend a few dollars on getting a couple of the different inks you want to try. You'll also want a converter for your Metropolitan (if you dont have one already) or an empty cartridge and a 5ml ink syringe which are always pennies on ebay.

In terms of paper, Bookman is bang on with Tomoe River... If you cant get hold of that then anything by Rhodia or Clairefontaine is good stuff too. The key thing if you're buying from bricks n mortar is the gsm (grams per square meter). If you're writing with a medium nibbed fountain pen, you really want 90gsm or above.

Happy hunting :)

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

I strongly concur with Bookman and sean1e, and I'll add my recommendation for Crane's ecru stationery. Based on the remarks from my recipients, it definitely makes a good impression.

DB

Thank you all. :) Based on the audience, it seems the colors that shall work out are Burgundy and green and brown. I have Noodler's Bever and Noodler's Black swan in Australian roses. Could anyone suggest some really good green colors.

(should I start a separate thread on this ? )

Is your SO male or female? The reason I ask is that this may affect your choice of ink; or have you moved on and are just looking for ink for your own purposes?

Is your SO male or female? The reason I ask is that this may affect your choice of ink; or have you moved on and are just looking for ink for your own purposes?

No no, its a SHE. :)

If you're looking for green, my favourite is the new Diamine Safari. It has replaced my old favourite greens.

She'll love the new shade of Black Swan in Australian Roses, which is very feminine. Only those of us who knew the old shade dislike it.