140 Versus 400

Cryptos

I don't know anything about Pelikans but have a question anyway.

On Rick Propas' website, in the blurb for his 140s he says that apart from the shape of the ends they are - to all intents and purposes - the same as the 400s.

While I don't wish to appear to be casting doubt over Mr Propas' expertise in all things large and beaky, could someone please tell me how accurate that assessment really is? The thing is there is a $50 (at least difference) in prices between the two, and if it's only about shape, well...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• risingsun

• Cryptos

• ThomasA1000

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 140 has less plating on the clip and band, therefore is more prone to brassing. However, the 140 does not have the more annoying problem some 400s have: the fact that the caps sometimes crack due to plastic shrinkage combined with the cap band design of the 400 (which is different from the one on the 140)...I believe Christof did some very nice diagrams regarding this issue, for his photography thread. Other than these, I don't believe there are other noticeable differences.

Edited by Murky

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I think that the overall build quality is comparable but the 400 is a slightly longer pen with a bigger nib and feed. In my hands, this makes the 400 more comfortable to write with.

It is true that the caps are prone to hairline cracks but that problem is often seen on the 140 cap too.

The 140 is definitely a pen of great (and possibly underrated) quality.

They are pretty similar when I look at them. Comparable length between the 140 and 400 though the 400NN is a bit longer. Same diameter. Both with the ability to gauge ink levels through the barrel. The piston knob on the 140 is more rounded than a 400. Both with 14C-585 gold nibs. The cap top is probably the most striking difference along with the lesser plating as previously noted. Both pens post and balance well. I would not hesitate to pick up a 140 if its more budget friendly as they are great pens.

Green 140

post-95756-0-17180200-1418222839_thumb.jpg

Tortoise 400 & 400NN

post-95756-0-54884000-1418222840_thumb.jpg

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I come from the Standard Pen era...so find a 400-400n (didn't know it's 2mm bigger...don't look it) or the M400 to fit me fine.

The 400nn is a medium-long pen. It took me two years to decide it had that tad better balance than my '90's M400.

A 140 Has a semi-flex nib. The '50's 400-400n&400nn can have either a semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nib.

The 140 is a medium-small pen that posts long, like a Kaweco Dia, a 760 Geha or some of the Osmia pens. It was a very popular size in the '50's. It posts long like a 400 or 790 Geha.

That the nib is small makes no difference, it fits the pen. It writes like a dream.

The 140 will be semi-flex the '400s will be a gamble between semi-flex and 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.

That is one of the reasons I recommend the 140 (have 2 OF&OB) it allows the ham fisted to lighten their Hand for three months before going to look for a maxi-semi-flex; which needs a slightly ham fist.

Leaving out a D nib of course. The nails nail.

A 120 has a nice springy regular flex nib....of the seven 200's nibs that I've trans-mailed two were as good as the 120 which for the longest time until I pushed my '90's 400 nib a bit, I thought them equal. But found the '90's 400& Celebry nibs to be a bit better. 5 of the 200's nibs were as @ as good as the '90's 400. Could say=, but am not going to quibble. The 200 IMO is the best nib Pelikan makes outside the 1000.

I favor a lively nib rather than a butter smooth fat blobby clunker.

I am impressed with the 200's nibs.

Pure either or go 400, seldom going to be that. If and when go 140 first....in that sooner or later one will buy a 400 of one of the three eras....buy the 140 first.

That makes sure you know what a semi-flex nib is....in if you got a maxi-semi-flex you...you'd be thinking a semi-flex a nice springy regular flex...if you lack that semi-vintage or vintage springy regular flex nib.

The 140 is the perfect pen for a short pocketed Polo shirt.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Did someone say brassing?

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Pelikan-0317.jpg

Did you find that one at the beach?

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

More likely from 60 years of use!

Still be going when pens have had new sacs, etc.

The 140 nibs, like the 400 nibs, are hit and miss. The majority are flexible, but you get some that aren't.

The old nibs write one thickenss finer than the modern nibs and the broad and OB nibs are great for crisp line variation.

:lticaptd:

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

If I am forced to decide...i take both...

post-116935-0-76073500-1418242418_thumb.jpg

post-116935-0-01038500-1418242438_thumb.jpg

post-116935-0-95698100-1418242455_thumb.jpg

Looking for a Pelikan 100n barrel brown (screwed section), please offer.

Getting a little off-topic here... But Ernst's lovely 140 got me thinking...and I have wondered about it before but have never had the courage to ask for fear of it being called a stupid question... Is it possible to effectively replate a gold cap lip ring while still mounted on a plastic cap? Or does it need to be removed and then reinstalled on the cap after plating? Anyone know?

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I would have thought electroplating would work. Mask off all the plastic above and below the ring. Clean the ring. Coat with the appropriate solutions and electrify it! Kinda. Although I guess the imprints would get filled in? Interesting question, and one that begs the further question of whether imprints are made before or after the original plating.

Goldplating have no effect imprints. The layer is just a few micrometers

Looking for a Pelikan 100n barrel brown (screwed section), please offer.

I bought a 400NN a few years ago and it has a wonderful balance. The rounded end cap is a lovely shape.

The 140 has the same feature at either end of the pen. It is smaller than the 400 & in my opinion is slightly more elegant. Above all, the 140 has beautiful proportions. I bought one recently on the bay in superb condition in it's original box. I paid $100.

I have been informed by some one who has seen more 140's than me, that there are unmarked with the D, 140 nails. :yikes:

And some one has a 400nn, with a regular flex nib. :doh:

sigh, first the myth of the piston pen holding so, so much ink died. :crybaby:

Now the flex levels of '50-65 pens must be taken with a grain of salt. :happyberet:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.