Help Choosing A Blue/black Fp

hbdk

I am looking for a new FP in blue-black or a very deep blue.

My preferences:

Classic design - cigar shaped, original Duofold look-a-like or similar - but I am open to more "experimental" design

Medium sized to large - not oversized

Nib must be a nail, or max. with a little spring

Japanese medium/European fine

My normal limit is about £50/US$ 80 - but as this is going to be my journal pen, and probably the most used, I might be willing to double that.

When I say new, I mean new like in "fresh from the assembly line", not vintage.

Oh - and I hate hooded nibs ;)

Any suggestions welcome :)

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hbdk

• Algester

• Kuhataparunks

• Ambrose Bierce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Even though it is at the top end of your 'double that' cost constraint, kindly consider a Sailor 1911M.

I find the colour is quite striking, and a welcome respite from Black pens. The 1911M is of excellent build quality. The Sailor standard gold nibs are firm, yet have some character. Their steel nibs are very comfortable.

I did a quick check on eB@y, and much to my surprise, there is a new model from Sailor - the Promenade - in the colour I mentioned. See item 331410218839 (auction) and 131366567925 (buy it now) which should be 'close enough' to your cost constraint, but shipping & import fees do add-up.

We have the benefit of other Members' prior contributions about that pen in at least one Topic : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/269646-difference-between-sailor-1911-standard-and-promenade/?p=3043039

The only other pens I have of a Dark Blue colour are not factory fresh.

I am interested to learn what other Members suggest.

Bye,

S1

__ Edit to add :

Being curious, I noticed that Pilot offers the Custom 74 in Dark Blue as well. The C74 is a 'full size' pen, and the ones I have are fitted with really good comfortable nibs. See eB@y Item 221617580637.

(Ah me, I really should not do more eB@y browsing.)

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Something like that?

That is Parker Big Red ballpoint from the 70's with Cross Solo medium nib and section.

15232416298_c99edbdd70_c.jpg

It doesn't bother me at all. Then again, I'm not all that picky.

If you have the possibility, go and hold one at a store to make sure it suits you.

PS.

I remember reading about a guy who used sandpaper on the section to give it some texture and make it easier to grip.

Added bonus the cool brushed steel look.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/224387-lamy-studio-review/?p=2387193

Maybe Platinum #3776 Chartres Blue from eBay. Should be more naily than Custom 74.

I have micromeshed one section. Definetly would not use sandpaper.

Non notisi signi.

The 3776, I have one in black; the nib is rather firm in it self (the tines don't move much) the whole nib seems to be spring mounted - a weird feeling; not unpleasant, but it does not really suite my writing style.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

If you'd consider a step up in budget and an American-made pen, how about a Bexley Cities in the Batavia model? Getting scarce, though, so don't sleep on it too long (and it comes with a second section so it can be converted to a roller ball as well)... isellpens.com has them in stock. Nib is a JoWo.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/rvbga.avcnm/v/vspfiles/photos/BEX-6902-2.jpg?1371547712

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/bexley/zoomed/bexley_batavia.jpg

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

The blue Italix Parson's Essential from Mr Pen in the UK.

Diplomat Balance (which comes in blue).

Tombow Object 101 - which is cheaper, and can come with a fine nib - not as nice as the Italix though.

Or perhaps a Platinum Balance (PGB-3000)? Just refilled my wife's blue F this evening, and was again struck by how well it writes. And it's about $50 shipped (from a US dealer here, assuming that you'd find it for about the same on the other side of the pond).

#3776 is available both as springy soft nib (marked on the nib as SM, SF etc. if i remember correctly) and normal nib. Could it be that you have a soft nib?

Non notisi signi.

Lots of nice suggestions here. That Bexley sure is a looker, and the Balance is very classic (and at a good price ;) ).

No, my 3776 just says M, 14K and 585 - I am probably just being a little picky :D

Would you extend "new" to include a mashup of new body & converter with nos nib section?

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/ranga-ebonite-4cs-sheaffer-inlaid-nibs-converter-cartridge.html

The smooth ripple blue green & black:

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/4cs_photos_2.jpg

The pink ripple to show the cap off

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/4cs_imp_pinkrip_1.jpg

I have one in the blue green & black & it's a great pen, clip aside. The clip is removeable, though.

Never seen that one before - nice! The right colour does not seem to be available but I'll keep it in mind, as I am also looking for a brown pen.

Pilot Prera (non-demonstrator model) offers two solid blue pens.

I've had the sky blue one, and it is a VERY rich color... Almost too vivid! It is a pen that will catch many eyes because the color is so bright that it almost glows.

Edited by Kuhataparunks

• 2 weeks later...

Prera - nice pen but I have not been able to find other than the sky blue - nice, but a little to vivid for what I am looking for. If someone could point me to a darker version, that would be really nice.

The Italix Parson's - I have 2 (in black), both with really bad skipping problems; never had that kind of problem before except with my Waterman Hemisphere, so no, I don't think so. Pity really, it is such a beautiful pen...

If you can go the stretch, the Custom Heritage 912 has a wonderful black finish.

There is also a Tsuki-yo version which is a soothing dark blue color. I actually want that pen, but it's at the bottom of my list since I already have a pen of that model, just different color :).

But the black one has a very nice polished finish on it, I'd recommend it as well!