The New Platinum Preppy 0.2Mm Ef . . .

Tas

I've had mine for a full day now.

I impatiently ordered it from Goulet Pens USA as soon as I knew of it's existence but have now discovered they have just become available here in the UK.

I'm absolutely delighted! :)

This pen, for me, is a game changer.

I was never really happy with the old Preppys but this £2.95 pen has just blown me away.

I bought a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with a PO nib last month and I have to be honest, this little 0.2mm Preppy gives it a serious run for it's money. Whilst it's in no way as refined, solid or elegant as the PO nib, the line this tiny stainless nib produces is just as fine if not a tad finer. The nib is smooth (it really is) and the feed provides ink to it perfectly. The pen is identical in size to the older siblings and the cap and body have received an updated "modern" exterior paint job. The nibs are no longer colour coded which suits my OCD when using other colours in them :blush: .

I have ordered two more from CultPens today and can see me retiring a few pens because of these babies.

I'll post some photos tomorrow when I have some daylight.

If you like your nibs XF get your hands on some of these incredible value 0.2 versions. :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Water Ouzel

• Mangrove Jack

• ateke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had mine for a full day now.

I impatiently ordered it from Goulet Pens USA as soon as I knew of it's existence but have now discovered they have just become available here in the UK.

I'm absolutely delighted! :)

This pen, for me, is a game changer.

I was never really happy with the old Preppys but this £2.95 pen has just blown me away.

I bought a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with a PO nib last month and I have to be honest, this little 0.2mm Preppy gives it a serious run for it's money. Whilst it's in no way as refined, solid or elegant as the PO nib, the line this tiny stainless nib produces is just as fine if not a tad finer. The nib is smooth (it really is) and the feed provides ink to it perfectly. The pen is identical in size to the older siblings and the cap and body have received an updated "modern" exterior paint job. The nibs are no longer colour coded which suits my OCD when using other colours in them :blush: .

I have ordered two more from CultPens today and can see me retiring a few pens because of these babies.

I'll post some photos tomorrow when I have some daylight.

If you like your nibs XF get your hands on some of these incredible value 0.2 versions. :)

Why not buy a Penmanshi that you can fill with ink to the brim and re-ink anytime you want? I am delighted with my two Penmanships. i have a Heritage with an FA nib and i know what you mena. It's elegant and the nib is great, but for the money these other Pilots are great contenders lurking on backstage to take center positioning.

Edited by Lamyrada

Why not buy a Penmanshi that you can fill with ink to the brim and re-ink anytime you want? I am delighted with my two Penmanships. i have a Heritage with an FA nib and i know what you mena. It's elegant and the nib is great, but for the money these other Pilots are great contenders lurking on backstage to take center positioning.

???

The Preppies can be "filled with ink to the brim and re-inked anytime you want."

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I'm erm embarrassed to say :blush: I'd not heard of the Penmanship. I have a Pluminix but didn't realise Pilot made an EF version of it.

Oh well.

That's exactly what this forum is about. Discovering new, pens and inks and papers etc.

Thank you.

DaveBj is right, Preppy's are refillable via cartridge and their cartridges are tough and built to last. I've not replaced one yet.

Cartridge? They take cartridges? ;-)

Eye-dropper. Fill to the brim. The dang thing writes forever. But my Metropolitan is waaaaaaaay smoother than my Preppy, to the point that the Preppy is out of even the shopping list rotation.

Cartridge? They take cartridges? ;-)

Eye-dropper. Fill to the brim. The dang thing writes forever. But my Metropolitan is waaaaaaaay smoother than my Preppy, to the point that the Preppy is out of even the shopping list rotation.

I'm too chicken to eyedropper anything :unsure: .

Do they make XF Metropolitan's ? Man I'm out of touch .. . :huh:

They make fine ones now which, being Japanese, would probably write like a Western fine.

I don't get into eyedroppers, either. I don't like their tendency to blurp if not kept full.

I'm erm embarrassed to say :blush: I'd not heard of the Penmanship. I have a Pluminix but didn't realise Pilot made an EF version of it.

Oh well.

That's exactly what this forum is about. Discovering new, pens and inks and papers etc.

Thank you.

DaveBj is right, Preppy's are refillable via cartridge and their cartridges are tough and built to last. I've not replaced one yet.

If I recall correctly you can use a Platinum converter with the Preppy as well. The only question may be, "do you want to spend $8-9.00 for a converter to be used in a $3-5.00 pen? I guess we have to make that choice... or not!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

No, you need to take the EF nib from Penmanship and put it into Metropolitan yourself. Although i'd put it into Prera instead..

Non notisi signi.

No, you need to take the EF nib from Penmanship and put it into Metropolitan yourself. Although i'd put it into Prera instead..

i put the Penmanship on the Metropolitan and now i can use it every day, because i bought it before the fine nibs for the Metro were available. The other penmanship i use as an eyedropper for sketching and YES, it the little devil writes forever before going dry.

One thing, though, they leaked at first. Then i heat sealed it with the boiling water method which i tried even when i thought that the feeder was not heat flexible. It worked. No need for an o-ring. The finest nib that i have used is this Penmanship and then, The Pilot 78G with F nib. Pilots that i have all in F nibs: Namiki, Heritage, 78G B, 78G F, Prera, Penmanships #1,#2. That's tell you how well ithink about Pilot. After that i have 3 LAMYs, different nib sizes for different job.

The Custom Heritage 912 is SFM(correction) and has quite a good flex but i don't flex it much, taking care of it. It is My prefrred pen of the >$50 and < $150

I hear that they pay closer attention to the EF nibs, so how smooth are they? I would expect an EF nib to be scratchy, especially since it's Japanese.

OOOOOOHHHH I need to pick up one (or 5) of these to use and to hand out to my gel pen friends who say that my pens dont have fine enough nibs.

That's why the Preppy is a good one to try converting to eyedropper use. A little silicone grease and you're there.

As for XF Metropolitans, not as such, but you can swap its nib with one from a Penmanship and you're there.

In a couple of days I'll know if the Preppy EF is similar to the Pilot EF.

I hear that they pay closer attention to the EF nibs, so how smooth are they? I would expect an EF nib to be scratchy, especially since it's Japanese.

The thing is incredible. On Tomoe it's seriously smooth. On Rhodia it's good too and the nib starts to feedback (not scratch) the lower down the grade of paper you go.

In a couple of days I'll know if the Preppy EF is similar to the Pilot EF.

Brilliant. Please let me / us know. :)

I have a Pilot Penmanship and I just bought the Platinum EF Preppy, and I certainly prefer the Preppy to the Penmanship. The Penmanship's nib is very scratchy, no matter that I tried to adjust it. The Preppy is a nice smooth fine line right out of the box. I am very happy with it and will probably order another.

I have a Pilot Penmanship and I just bought the Platinum EF Preppy, and I certainly prefer the Preppy to the Penmanship. The Penmanship's nib is very scratchy, no matter that I tried to adjust it. The Preppy is a nice smooth fine line right out of the box. I am very happy with it and will probably order another.

So happy to hear it !

I bought two more but will stop there. Seriously thinking of trying a Plasir body to wrap around the feed . . . B)

If I recall correctly you can use a Platinum converter with the Preppy as well. The only question may be, "do you want to spend $8-9.00 for a converter to be used in a $3-5.00 pen? I guess we have to make that choice... or not!

I recently took my first trip into the world of eyedroppers and... got very inky very quickly. I fixed the problem and now my 05 Preppy is a fully functional ED. One thing worth mentioning is that the cartridges that are supplied are pretty roomy and can easily be refilled using an ink syringe - even if you have to buy a couple of syringes it usually works out much cheaper than buying a converter.

• 2 weeks later...

For my hands the Preppy has a nicer feel and grip than does the Metropolitan. I love my Metro M nib, it is a great 15 dollar pen but that step when you hold it gets old. The Preppy doesn't have that.

My 4 F nibs and 1 M nib are all smooth and economical in their usage of ink.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste