Which Is The Best Indian Fountain Pen You Own ?

mrmohitmishra

:D :D

Thanks. Is there metal inside the wood.

Actually, no - I misremembered. It's the Rosewood Islander that has a metal insert in the barrel. The sandalwood Islander has plastic or ebonite, not sure which, but not metal. So in theory it might work as an ED but to make sure, you'd have to ask manojd, the maker. But if the wood is hollow I wouldn't do it - it will drink up the ink and loose its fragrance...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

• a_m

• deepak23

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, no - I misremembered. It's the Rosewood Islander that has a metal insert in the barrel. The sandalwood Islander has plastic or ebonite, not sure which, but not metal. So in theory it might work as an ED but to make sure, you'd have to ask manojd, the maker. But if the wood is hollow I wouldn't do it - it will drink up the ink and loose its fragrance...

Same here - metal in the Islander, plastic/ebonite in the sandalwood pen.

From a purely utilitarian view, I have found Athlete to be very good, perhaps rate it at top.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

From a purely utilitarian view, I have found Athlete to be very good, perhaps rate it at top.

Sir, you would understand it when I say.

You know what a great fan of Athlete I am. However I have been using crystal and Airborne for a few days. These pens have grown on me. Expecially, the Crystal with a Bock nib. I ordered Pilot Black as you suggested and now the pen is working like a charm. Loved it.

My favorite so far is my Gama Supreme, but my old Varuna Rajan runs a close second.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

The Deccan Masterpiece made to take a Pelikan M1000 nib. The best of both worlds!

Wow!!! That's an Idea!!!

Show us the pen...whenever possible

My favorite so far is my Gama Supreme, but my old Varuna Rajan runs a close second.

Varuna Raja is a nice pen... I don't have it but the feedback has been good. Gama supreme is better.

Wow!!! That's an Idea!!!

Deccan masterpiece & Gama Masterpiece is same. Infact the Crystal is one up on the masterpiece. If you get the nib ASA would do that for you. I have seen such blanks being sold for $150. Nib unit can be anything upward of $ 250

I put my savings to test

250$ :yikes: :yikes: and 150$ :yikes:

The costliest pen I own is something like 4000 INR

I am happier with my Crystals and Athletes sir :D :D

Deccan masterpiece & Gama Masterpiece is same. Infact the Crystal is one up on the masterpiece. If you get the nib ASA would do that for you. I have seen such blanks being sold for $150. Nib unit can be anything upward of $ 250

Edited by mrmohitmishra

Varuna Raja is a nice pen... I don't have it but the feedback has been good. Gama supreme is better.

My Rajan, which I picked up from Steve Braun when he had his pen business, came with a JoWo M nib. It's a nice smooth writer. But the Gama Supreme with its stock nib is just excellent!

Happiness is an Indian ED!

My Rajan, which I picked up from Steve Braun when he had his pen business, came with a JoWo M nib. It's a nice smooth writer. But the Gama Supreme with its stock nib is just excellent

Isn't it great. There are companies which produce fountain pens using various materials. But somehow, feel of ebonite surpasses it all. I like the sheer feel of ebonite. Hand automatically reaches for Crystal or Athlete, though I have a lamy and an MR and an Oliver F27.

I think many of you would agree, that this is this feel and the balance which is biggest reason behind survival and recent modest revival of Indian Handmade fountain pen industry..

Wow!!! That's an Idea!!!

Sure! Here are some photos. My pen comes from the original batch that Hari commissioned back in 2009.

14596403958_ac03a72e6d_b.jpg

14596536977_ae0aab2f32_b.jpg

Sure! Here are some photos. My pen comes from the original batch that Hari commissioned back in 2009.

14596403958_ac03a72e6d_b.jpg

14596536977_ae0aab2f32_b.jpg

They should have added a clap smiley or sign here...but till then accept this

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

BTW the masterpiece does look a lot like ASA Crystal without the crystals . Anup ji was correct.

I know a sample size of one does not mean much, but I like my ebonite Gama Supreme a lot and never encountered a pen that writes and functions better with iron gall registrars ink. The fun part of this pen is its straightforward eyedropper design. The pen can be easily taken apart and since it has a German #6 sized ebonite feed the OEM nib can be rather easily exchanged for any #6 nib.

Gama_Supreme_Flat_Top_ebonite_eyedropper

The image shows my Supreme after fitting an extra-large Indian no. 12 40 mm long and 10.3 mm wide gold plated monotone Iridium Point nib made by the Ambitious Company in India. The achieved 4.5 mm exposed nib length increase over the OEM setup is an ergonomic improvement for people who grip their pens high.

Edited by Fuellerfuehrerschein

I know a sample size of one does not mean much, but I like my ebonite Gama Supreme a lot and never encountered a pen that writes and functions better with iron gall registrars ink. The fun part of this pen is its straightforward eyedropper design. The pen can be easily taken apart and since it has a German #6 sized ebonite feed the OEM nib can be rather easily exchanged for any #6 nib.

Gama_Supreme_Flat_Top_ebonite_eyedropper

The image shows my Supreme after fitting an extra-large Indian no. 12 40 mm long and 10.3 mm wide gold plated monotone Iridium Point nib made by the Ambitious Company in India. The achieved 4.5 mm exposed nib length increase over the OEM setup is an ergonomic improvement for people who grip their pens high.

It's a handsome pen...Next in my buying list. Mr. Anup and Mr. Hari have written some reviews of the pen.

This excellent photo makes the pen even more tempting.

Looks like my shopping spree would never end... :(

That nib looks especially scrumptious, where could I buy one like that? it makes your pen even more handsome than with its stock nib... I like when a big pen has a large enough nib, and they are more pleasant to write with for me, too, even though my hands are not especially large...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

That nib looks especially scrumptious, where could I buy one like that? it makes your pen even more handsome than with its stock nib... I like when a big pen has a large enough nib, and they are more pleasant to write with for me, too, even though my hands are not especially large...

I think its available with ASA

I should mention in this topic a special mention of great work being done by Mr. Soumitra Sanyal

Here is his post.

Kindly see it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279504-sanyal-soumitras-mini-chinese-indian-pen-reviews/page-10

U

Only Chinese pens there.. Interestingly many of Western manufacturers have outsourced to China & India.

Even the Nooddlers Neponset Music Nib has the name "Vishnu Victory"

I put my savings to test