Which Is The Best Indian Fountain Pen You Own ?

mrmohitmishra

Many of us own many Made in India fountain pens. I wonder, which can be called the best, or at least first among equals.

Kindly share your views.

Pen should be made in India, though the nib or feed or converter may be from anywhere.

It can be made of any material or have any filling mechanism.

In my case, as of now, it is Crystal LE. It may change, I am waiting for a few pens in the mail. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

• a_m

• deepak23

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess the best pen a person has is the one that gets the most use. My good old Wality 69T with a clear barrel and a nice blue and white cap fits the bill. Once I got the nib to perform as I liked, it's been a reliable and quite nice writer.

I like it more than my Deccan Advocate and Guider Ebonite pens. In general, I find the nibs on Indian pens to be a little ordinary. I wish their quality would match the quality of the pens themselves.

My only Indian pen is a Guider Raja in green hard rubber. I don't care for eye dropper fillers, so I ordered it with a converter. Frankly, the nib that was installed wrote poorly, but I swapped it for a 1930's Sheaffer Lifetime nib, and now it writes beautifully.

My good old Wality 69T with a clear barrel and a nice blue and white cap fits the bill. Once I got the nib to perform as I liked, it's been a reliable and quite nice writer.

IT is a nice pen. The nib and the feed are ordinary but even then the pen writes wonderfully

I like it more than my Deccan Advocate and Guider Ebonite pens. In general, I find the nibs on Indian pens to be a little ordinary. I wish their quality would match the quality of the pens themselves.

I agree. I also wish the same. A good nib needs huge investment, which needs demand. Fountain pen industry in India is rejuvenating and recuperating from an abysmal ebb. I hope your wish come true.

My only Indian pen is a Guider Raja in green hard rubber. I don't care for eye dropper fillers, so I ordered it with a converter. Frankly, the nib that was installed wrote poorly, but I swapped it for a 1930's Sheaffer Lifetime nib, and now it writes beautifully.

I understand, how it feels when you get a poorly made pen.

If you still want to try an Indian pen, why don't you go for any Gama model. I think Gama is offering good quality for its price. They can be fitted with a converter. I have three, I am liking them

Edited by mrmohitmishra

+1 on the Airmail/ Wality 69 series. For the price, the pen is exceptionally well made and writes very well. A 69 is always present in my rotation. Have these in almost all avatars including the relatively rare Ebonites. I prefer the two tone nibs...

A lifelong FP user...

+1 on the Airmail/ Wality 69 series. For the price, the pen is exceptionally well made and writes very well. A 69 is always present in my rotation. Have these in almost all avatars including the relatively rare Ebonites. I prefer the two tone nibs...

Two tones are usually better. Pls. share the pic of the collection if you could

I will let you know this week as I am expecting a trio of Airmails (58SL, 69LG and a 77RD) to arrive via post.

Looking forward to putting them through their paces. I will post a review of each in the review forum.

Jack

I am expecting it with anticipation. Are these your first Indian pens

This is a tough question to answer.

I bought a bunch of Ranga ebonite pens, had them equipped with JoWo nibs, and really liked them. The Deccan Author was next, and it quickly jumped to the top of the list. Lately I've been dabbling in custom-made pens, and got a couple of wooden pens made by Manoj Deshmukh of Fosfor. I've inked the Islander, and this has now become - by a long distance - the best Indian fountain pen I own. Manoj makes amazing pens.

I guess it simply shows the depth of good choices available for Indian fountain pens.

Funny how we are always trying to find the best pen...

I for one cannot choose. The pen I am writing with or want to get back to writing with?

But I have some favorites. Among them are Guiders (esp. the Twins), Deccans (Author!) and Fosfor (Islander). But I like my Olivers, Rangas, Kims and especially Gamas and Asas a lot too. Plus my Clicks and, of course, my Walitys...

That's why at least one of each is always inked and ready for use, within reach on my desk.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

This is a tough question to answer.

I bought a bunch of Ranga ebonite pens, had them equipped with JoWo nibs, and really liked them. The Deccan Author was next, and it quickly jumped to the top of the list. Lately I've been dabbling in custom-made pens, and got a couple of wooden pens made by Manoj Deshmukh of Fosfor. I've inked the Islander, and this has now become - by a long distance - the best Indian fountain pen I own. Manoj makes amazing pens.

I guess it simply shows the depth of good choices available for Indian fountain pens.

Islander...I haven't heard the name. Can you please share the pic?

Found the pic. A beautiful looking pen. My only concern is that is not the wood prone to ink marks

Edited by mrmohitmishra

Funny how we are always trying to find the best pen...

I for one cannot choose. The pen I am writing with or want to get back to writing with?

But I have some favorites. Among them are Guiders (esp. the Twins), Deccans (Author!) and Fosfor (Islander). But I like my Olivers, Rangas, Kims and especially Gamas and Asas a lot too. Plus my Clicks and, of course, my Walitys...

That's why at least one of each is always inked and ready for use, within reach on my desk.

You are right sir. . There is no best. Is review of Islander available anywhere on FPN

I found the review, Apparently you have yourself written it.

But is not the wood prone to inking or ink marks. Can the pen be used as an eyedropper.

Edited by mrmohitmishra

I second mhguda. There is no "best" pen. It depends upon the day; it depends upon the task at hand; it depends upon the color of the ink. I have a large hand, so sometimes it's my Guider Jumbo or my Guider Super Jumbo. But for drafting essays, it's a Deccan Advocate or my Guider Twin Pen (a nib at each end, each with a different color ink: one to write with, one with which to edit/rewrite. For taking notes: a Wality demonstrator with a fine nib, or my Ranga Model 3, with ditto. Each is a favorite -- depending on the task at hand. Daddy loves all of his children. :D

I second mhguda. There is no "best" pen. It depends upon the day; it depends upon the task at hand; it depends upon the color of the ink. I have a large hand, so sometimes it's my Guider Jumbo or my Guider Super Jumbo. But for drafting essays, it's a Deccan Advocate or my Guider Twin Pen (a nib at each end, each with a different color ink: one to write with, one with which to edit/rewrite. For taking notes: a Wality demonstrator with a fine nib, or my Ranga Model 3, with ditto. Each is a favorite -- depending on the task at hand. Daddy loves all of his children. :D

Daddy should :D :D

And..you have got quite a collection

Edited by mrmohitmishra

mr Mohit - with regard to the Sandalwood, you are right, and my pen has picked up some ink marks that show it is used, not just collected. This is bcauseto preseeerve the special character of sadalwood it iss not sealed or finished. His other wooden pens are sealedd, and unstained.

And no, no eyedroppering - too much metal in there. But the supplied Schmidt converter is excellent, and no worries over ink stains from that part of the pen.

NB please forgive misspellings - this bluetooth keyboard is driving me nuts!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

NB please forgive misspellings - this bluetooth keyboard is driving me nuts!

:D :D

Thanks. Is there metal inside the wood.

I have several Gama pens and I like them all. They are in regular use.

I agree that the Wality 69T is a great pen. Looks good and writes great. All for less than about 10 dollars.

:D :D

Thanks. Is there metal inside the wood.

The thread is metal.

I feel that with wooden pens, it's best to avoid eyedroppers. Besides, I've never had much luck with eyedroppers (Danitrio Denshos included), and no longer look for such pens.