Pelikan P205 Fountain Pen

VanRocket

I just got my Pelikan 205 yesterday. Same exact model black/silver. Wrote like a dream right outta the box!

Only two observations of note:

1. When screwing nib/section onto body it doesn't really feel like a hard stop and I'm afraid of over-tightening and breaking. Got a similar Sailor today in mail (Sapporo blueberry) that screws in with a solid and secure stop.
  2. Other thing is weight. It's like weightless even with a cartridge. The Sailor is a bit heavier.

Both are great writers. Pelikan came from FPH, Sailor from nibs.com. I inked Pelikan with Aventurine Green, Sailor got blue.

Edited by markleewebb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• markleewebb

• VanRocket

• wastelanded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no experience with converting a pen to eyedropper but from what I have read, it's definitely possible. The threads on the section and inside the barrel are plastic. I don't know what other characteristics are needed to qualify it for the conversion.

IIRC as long as there's no oddly placed holes it can be converted but it might end up leaking somehow.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

I am returning my Pelikan 205. Even though it writes like a dream right outta the box, the plastic body is just too thin and cheap. It feels like a toy.

I am returning my Pelikan 205. Even though it writes like a dream right outta the box, the plastic body is just too thin and cheap. It feels like a toy.

The lack of a piston does seem meaningful. The modern M200 is 14 grams versus the P200 which is 2 grams lighter at 12 grams total.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

It's not lack of piston. It's just a plastic pen with an excellent nib. Not ebonite. Not cast resin. Just very thin light plastic. Very toy-like.

It's not lack of piston. It's just a plastic pen with an excellent nib. Not ebonite. Not cast resin. Just very thin light plastic. Very toy-like.

Cast resin IS plastic.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Cast resin IS plastic.

But not all plastic pens are created equally. I have a comparable Sailor (Sapporo in blueberry) that has a bit more weight (feels like added weight in both section, end, and cap - the nib/feed/section on Pelikan actually floated section-up when soaking to clean because the section was made of such lightweight plastic). Also, the section on the Pelikan does not positively "stop" when threaded back into body. I am absolutely astounded at how cheaply the Pelikan is made. Great nib, but for that much money I expect a lot more. For that much money a Waterman Expert or Parker Sonnet both with excellent nibs and metal bodies are much better pens. I'm just very unhappy and disappointed in this specific Pelikan product.

But not all plastic pens are created equally. I have a comparable Sailor (Sapporo in blueberry) that has a bit more weight (feels like added weight in both section, end, and cap - the nib/feed/section on Pelikan actually floated section-up when soaking to clean because the section was made of such lightweight plastic). Also, the section on the Pelikan does not positively "stop" when threaded back into body. I am absolutely astounded at how cheaply the Pelikan is made. Great nib, but for that much money I expect a lot more. For that much money a Waterman Expert or Parker Sonnet both with excellent nibs and metal bodies are much better pens. I'm just very unhappy and disappointed in this specific Pelikan product.

Well then that is not a pen for you, some people prefer light pens. Personally I dislike metal bodies. M250 and M200 are my favourite pens, I prefer them to Souveran range and to Sailor. Not that is anything wrong with those pens, I have M600 and Sapporo and like them both, just not as much as M200. I don't think they are cheaply made, I have M200 from around 95 and piston is still working fine. But preferences are different, if you like big heavy pens there are plenty. What makes you think that light weight plastic is inferior to heavier plastic? Have you tried Namiki Falcon? Plastic one is featherlight.

But I sympathise with your disappointment, thats why it is good to research the pen before buying it. If you would bother to google it you would know how light they are. I bought a pen in a spur of the moment when browsing eBay and when I got it it was to my horror matte and metal!! Two things I dislike at the same time. If you have a chance, going to the bricks and mortar store is always the best solution.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Forgot to mention, Parker Sonnet can't really compete with M200 (apart from weight competition) but if you are tempted by getting one maybe try Parker 75 first. I think you can get one for half the price of Sonnet and it is a much better pen.

Well then that is not a pen for you, some people prefer light pens. Personally I dislike metal bodies. M250 and M200 are my favourite pens, I prefer them to Souveran range and to Sailor. Not that is anything wrong with those pens, I have M600 and Sapporo and like them both, just not as much as M200. I don't think they are cheaply made, I have M200 from around 95 and piston is still working fine. But preferences are different, if you like big heavy pens there are plenty. What makes you think that light weight plastic is inferior to heavier plastic? Have you tried Namiki Falcon? Plastic one is featherlight.

But I sympathise with your disappointment, thats why it is good to research the pen before buying it. If you would bother to google it you would know how light they are. I bought a pen in a spur of the moment when browsing eBay and when I got it it was to my horror matte and metal!! Two things I dislike at the same time. If you have a chance, going to the bricks and mortar store is always the best solution.

Ummmm... this discussion is about the Pelikan P205 c/c pen. You are referencing the M200 from 1995 that is piston fill. This review is about P205 which is a cheap plastic cartridge/converter pen which I suspect is much different than your M200 from around 95 and piston is still working fine.

And I did research before buying P205. I knew it was plastic. I didn't know how cheaply it was made and how cheap the plastic is. Soak the nib/feed/section in water and it floats (nib down) that's how cheap and light the section and feed are. The rest of body feels like a toy. The Sailor Sapporo is a much better built pen. Better plastic (it is thicker and weighs more) and section screws into body with a definitive stop. There is really no comparison, plus my Sailor writes just as well the nibs are both excellent writing nibs. Take a Sailor Saporro in your hand and take a Pelikan P205 in your hand and you'll observe the Sailor is a better pen.

And Parker Sonnet I was comparing to the P205 which is what was reviewed here. Plastic body P205 to metal body Sonnet. No comparison - Sonnet wins hands down. Writes equally well but overall design and quality of Sonnet just much better than P205.

Ummmm... this discussion is about the Pelikan P205 c/c pen. You are referencing the M200 from 1995 that is piston fill. This review is about P205 which is a cheap plastic cartridge/converter pen which I suspect is much different than your M200 from around 95 and piston is still working fine.

And I did research before buying P205. I knew it was plastic. I didn't know how cheaply it was made and how cheap the plastic is. Soak the nib/feed/section in water and it floats (nib down) that's how cheap and light the section and feed are. The rest of body feels like a toy. The Sailor Sapporo is a much better built pen. Better plastic (it is thicker and weighs more) and section screws into body with a definitive stop. There is really no comparison, plus my Sailor writes just as well the nibs are both excellent writing nibs. Take a Sailor Saporro in your hand and take a Pelikan P205 in your hand and you'll observe the Sailor is a better pen.

And Parker Sonnet I was comparing to the P205 which is what was reviewed here. Plastic body P205 to metal body Sonnet. No comparison - Sonnet wins hands down. Writes equally well but overall design and quality of Sonnet just much better than P205.

Yes, the review is of the P205 and you are not happy with the quality of the plastic. And plastic on P205 is the same than plastic on M200. I have a new M200 as well so I know what the plastic is like. It is shinier than on old M200. I quite like it. I disagree with your reasoning that plastic is bad if its light and floats on the water. That has nothing to do with the quality.

I agree with you that P2xx is overpriced though. I think it costs as much as m2xx and that is a piston filler.

As you may have noticed I am not too keen on Parker, especially the metal ones. Only time and decades of use will tell if Chinese made Sonnet can really match German made P2xx.

Seems to me that your idea of a quality pen is heavy metal. That is fine but don't generalise and dismiss the pens that are not such.

Haha we all do. I am still surprised about the weight issue. P205 is 18g which is the same as Sapporo. Just shows how what we like or dislike is totally subjective.

Not sure where you got 18g. Pelikan.com has it listed at 14g. The Sailor Sapporo is 19.7 grams. That's almost 6 grams heavier than the Pelikan. Nothing subjective there.

Both are plastic. Sailor 6 grams heavier. Feel both in your hand and you can tell Sailor is just a better product. Nibs write the same on my two. Unscrew top from body of Sailor, or section from body and then screw them back on. Do same with Pelikan. You'll feel the quality of the Sailor.

Edited by markleewebb

Modern Pelikans in general are outrageously overpriced. Vintage ones write better, have amazing nibs and are a steal in comparison.

I think they have a lot of nerve charging so much for this pen, when one can get a Sailor or Pilot or other pen with 14k nib for the same money.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Modern Pelikans in general are outrageously overpriced. Vintage ones write better, have amazing nibs and are a steal in comparison.

I think they have a lot of nerve charging so much for this pen, when one can get a Sailor or Pilot or other pen with 14k nib for the same money.

Thanks, Wastelanded. My sentiments exactly!!!!

Not sure where you got 18g. Pelikan.com has it listed at 14g. The Sailor Sapporo is 19.7 grams. That's almost 6 grams heavier than the Pelikan. Nothing subjective there.

Both are plastic. Sailor 6 grams heavier. Feel both in your hand and you can tell Sailor is just a better product. Nibs write the same on my two. Unscrew top from body of Sailor, or section from body and then screw them back on. Do same with Pelikan. You'll feel the quality of the Sailor.

I stand corrected on the weight, yes it does feel heavier. And material is different, I think Sailor is using PMMA plastic. It is different material and looks like you prefer it. I don't think it is any better. I don't disagree with the quality of Sailor pens, they are the only overpriced cartridge pens I have at the moment. But I disagree that new Pelikans are not good. I have new M200 B, same materials as P200 and it is good. Nib is smooth and slightly springy, pen sits well in my hand and I can write for a long time without feeling any strain.

As far as prices go, I am yet to try a new pen for over $50 that is good value for money. That doesn't mean I will not buy them, it is just that the premiums are ridiculous.

Thanks, Wastelanded. My sentiments exactly!!!!

I like old Pelikan pens too, especially pre97 trim M series. I disagree with your assumption just because 14k nibs are not necessarily better than the steel ones. I have 8 Pelikan pens and in top three nibs are two steel nibs and one 14k. I agree on vintage Pelikan steel nibs tho, they are a steal, most of them better then the gold nib on my new M600.

I like old Pelikan pens too, especially pre97 trim M series. I disagree with your assumption just because 14k nibs are not necessarily better than the steel ones. I have 8 Pelikan pens and in top three nibs are two steel nibs and one 14k. I agree on vintage Pelikan steel nibs tho, they are a steal, most of them better then the gold nib on my new M600.

I agree with you, their steel nibs are probably the best steel nibs out there. But they are steel. I am far from a gold snob: most of my nibs are steel, and being a lefty I can't use any flex or springiness in the gold nibs I have. Included in these are an early 90's M400 OB and a 140 with M nib.

But steel is cheaper than gold. Two weeks ago I bought a Pilot Custom 74, with a 14K nib, for C$98 shipped. Right now, the cheapest price for a P200 on eBay is C$114 shipped.

I do like the concept of the c/c version of the Pelikan, but the pricing is just ridiculous: at least 30% of it is for the name. For that money you can buy a hell of a lot more pen, including a user grade 140 with steel or gold nib, or even a steel-nibbed 100 if you let your line drift long enough in German eBay.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I agree with you, their steel nibs are probably the best steel nibs out there. But they are steel. I am far from a gold snob: most of my nibs are steel, and being a lefty I can't use any flex or springiness in the gold nibs I have. Included in these are an early 90's M400 OB and a 140 with M nib.

But steel is cheaper than gold. Two weeks ago I bought a Pilot Custom 74, with a 14K nib, for C$98 shipped. Right now, the cheapest price for a P200 on eBay is C$114 shipped.

I do like the concept of the c/c version of the Pelikan, but the pricing is just ridiculous: at least 30% of it is for the name. For that money you can buy a hell of a lot more pen, including a user grade 140 with steel or gold nib, or even a steel-nibbed 100 if you let your line drift long enough in German eBay.

Why anyone would buy P2xx if they can get basically the same pen but a piston filler for the same price is beyond me. Yes, definitely overpriced.