Pelikan P205 Fountain Pen

VanRocket

Background

My first nice fountain pen was a Pelikan M405. I have, and enjoy, the M600 and M800 size Pelikans but the M400/M200 size have always seemed to me to be just right. It is common to see comments about it being small but I think it is deceptively small. When capped it does appear small but Pelikan has engineered the cap to efficiently use the inner space. Uncapped, the barrel length is similar to larger pens and I find it comfortable both with and without the cap posted.

But this review is about the Pelikan P205. An equally sized pen to the M200/M400 but without the piston. The P205 is a cartridge/converter pen and while I won’t digress into the debate about filling systems I will say that I don’t mind cartridges. It’s part of what made me curious about this pen.

Packaging

I struggle with writing a lot of detail about a box so I’ll let the pictures tell the story. A smaller box but nicely done.

post-42945-0-23245500-1417882705_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-40196600-1417882750_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-72041400-1417882783_thumb.jpg

The Pen

The P205 comes with a cartridge (comes with a blue cartridge but I used a black one) in the pen. It’s inserted backwards to prevent puncturing the end so all I had to do was turn it around and push it into the section assembly.

post-42945-0-53669600-1417882856_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-27431500-1417882904_thumb.jpg

The P205 is very light. On the barrel there is a single silver ring near the threads and from there the barrel tapers slightly to the end.

The Nib

When the P205 was first announced, one of the questions that came up frequently was whether or not the nib would be interchangeable with existing Pelikan pens of the same size. I can definitively say that it is not, however, not for the reasons I originally thought. From the little information I could read, it looked like the nib and section were one piece and would be difficult to disassemble. While cleaning my pen I discovered that is not the case. The nib unscrews just like on my M200/M400 pens but the big difference is the feed. On the end that goes into the pen, there is a small nipple that protrudes to aid with the cartridge installation. Looking at it through a loupe it looks to be part of the feed and not a separate piece that can be removed. That part is the only difference I can see between the nib assembly on this pen and the one on a standard M200/M400 Pelikan.

post-42945-0-70560700-1417883043_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-72074600-1417883065_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-86418200-1417883082_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-46709000-1417883118_thumb.jpg

Photo Comparison to M405

post-42945-0-16201400-1417883190_thumb.jpg

post-42945-0-30603000-1417883212_thumb.jpg

Writing

The fine steel nib writes like a Pelikan steel nib. I am a fan of Pelikan’s steel nibs and this one is consistent with my expectations. If anything, this fine nib writes more like a extra fine to me (when considering Pelikan’s nibs only).

post-42945-0-41536400-1417883287_thumb.jpg

Conclusion

If you’re in the market for a cartridge/converter Pelikan, this is worth a look. I rather like the minor aesthetic differences when compared to the comparable piston models.

I hope you found this review useful.

Jeff

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• markleewebb

• VanRocket

• Ambien

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks so much for the detailed review. This pen is on my wish-list; I have a Pelikan M205 demonstrator and I really like the size and the steel F nib. What a bonus to have Edelstein ink cartridges too.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Thanks very much for the review and throwing light on the nib unit.

I enquired with a famous German reseller of Pelikan to buy this pen, they simply refused to sell the P20x, telling me that Pistons are the best!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I for one think this is great. When you are traveling a lot pistons are not the best. In fact they are a pain. Having to explain to airport security screening people that what that liquid is can be an even bigger pain. Having the Russians at Sheremetyevo Airport confiscate your new Visconti Ink Pot is the biggest pain.

Nice review, I am getting one.

Thanks for your comments.

I should have also mentioned in the review that this pen was just released this year and also comes in a gold trim version (P200).

Thank you for taking the time to review this pen. It does not suit me personally for several reasons but I do appreciate that there is now a cartridge option out there for those who may better appreciate that. I totally agree with your sentiments though about the size of these pens. I think they are perfect once posted and not at all uncomfortable. Thanks again and enjoy your pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thanks very much for the review and throwing light on the nib unit.

I enquired with a famous German reseller of Pelikan to buy this pen, they simply refused to sell the P20x, telling me that Pistons are the best!

Hmm---that's somewhat surprising.

Nevertheless, thanks for the review. I'm always curious about new Pelikans

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Background

My first nice fountain pen was a Pelikan M405...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the wonderful review. Like you I feel the same way,about Pelikan 4xx/2xx series being deceptively small (compared to 8xx), but very comfortable to write with. [i usually post them.]

I for one think this is great. When you are traveling a lot pistons are not the best. In fact they are a pain. Having to explain to airport security screening people that what that liquid is can be an even bigger pain. Having the Russians at Sheremetyevo Airport confiscate your new Visconti Ink Pot is the biggest pain.

Nice review, I am getting one.

Thanks for the security alert. Will keep that in mind.

I do feel bad about the visconti inkwell.

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• 1 month later...

I am badly disappointed with this pen. The reason? It seems it was designed the way that the pen should be used only with cartridges and should prevent to use any standard converter at all. Even the single attached starting newest Pelikan flagship Edelstein cartridge is held in the cartridge socket quite weakly. I hoped to use long Waterman cartridges in this pen too but I found out that the Pelikan P205 is not able to hold them strongly enough and they will fall off even at a very small lateral touch.

Even when a vibration test I made with the Pelikan Edelstein cartridge in this pen was promising and the Edelstein cartridge stayed in the socket of the pen I am still not convinced that it will be hold securely. Small force is enough to loose the cartridge.

I tried also some short cartridges from different suppliers I had In my storage and it showed that the shorter cartridges seems to be fixed better in the socket and they can also be supported by the second cartridge because the pen can hold two short cartridges back to back and the backup cartridge fits quite tightly in the pen.

However even among short cartridges I found some that fit only weakly. It probably depends on the construction of the cartridge connector. Some of them do not have the rim that is expected for the socket in the pen. I guess.

Problem with the cartridge socket in this pen is probably the reason why there is a comment on the web page of this pen in the catalogue on the Writing Desk web site (

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Pelikan&range=Classic%20Series%20P200/P205) that the pen is “Cartridge only (we have yet to find a converter to fit properly).“ Should I have noticed it sooner.

I would like to know the reason of Pelikan for their decision about the construction of this pen and why they do not include a convertor to the pen when the convertor is quite usually supplied in the price level of this pen.

I tried to do some macro photos of the cartridge socket in my P205 and connectors of cartridges. For comparison I attached the picture of socket in Waterman Hemisphere. You can see that the construction of the socket is different and the nipple penetrating and holding cartridge is longer in the Waterman pen and the rim around it has different shape.

As an addition to the starting review of this pen I attached pictures comparing nib units of models P205 and M205.

post-87198-0-28005300-1421538174.png

post-87198-0-62958300-1421538188.png

post-87198-0-06729400-1421538308.png

post-87198-0-03045100-1421538328.png

post-87198-0-19368700-1421538345.png

post-87198-0-50093300-1421538358.png

Thanks for reviewing this pen. I love my piston-filling Pelikans, but sometimes it is nice to have a cartridge filler handy. The P205 will definitely make it onto the "To Buy" list now.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

@vkovac You bring up some valid points and I have to agree the installation of the converter is not as solid as I would like. It does, however, work and I don't think it makes this pen one to avoid.

I have used this pen with an Edelstein cartridge, two shorties and a converter, all successfully. The reason is that the barrel holds all of these different options snuggly in place.

I currently have a Edelstein cartridge in the pen and tested the installation by dropping the pen onto a carpeted floor from about five feet high. I did this with the pen nib up (capped) so it landed on the back end of the pen. The pen bounced when it hit barrel side down and I then checked the cartridge. It was as solidly installed as before the drop.

Looking at all three options next to the pen, two shorties back to back are the same size as a converter. The Edelstein cartridge is slightly shorter but has a broader back end on it, and this is important. The tip of a shortie and the end of the converter are more narrow and that allows them to go a little further into the barrel. The broad end of the Edelstein cartridge rests on the inner barrel at a slightly different spot. The barrel itself tapers to the end to allow for these differences and I have to think this is completely intentional.

post-42945-0-59012100-1423324877_thumb.jpg

One can feel the snug fit of all three of these options when screwing the barrel onto the pen. There is resistance just before the barrel is completely screwed on, indicating they are resting against the back end of the barrel. Here is a Pelikan converter installed:

post-42945-0-27386800-1423325641_thumb.jpg

Personally, I like using two shorties back to back. You're carrying your backup ink supply in the barrel of the pen and it's easy to swap them out when the first is empty.

I don't regret my purchase and I still think this is a very good pen for those who want the cartridge convenience in a Pelikan pen.

Jeff

@vkovac You bring up some valid points and I have to agree the installation of the converter is not as solid as I would like. It does, however, work and I don't think it makes this pen one to avoid.

I have used this pen with an Edelstein cartridge, two shorties and a converter, all successfully. The reason is that the barrel holds all of these different options snuggly in place.

I currently have a Edelstein cartridge in the pen and tested the installation by dropping the pen onto a carpeted floor from about five feet high. I did this with the pen nib up (capped) so it landed on the back end of the pen. The pen bounced when it hit barrel side down and I then checked the cartridge. It was as solidly installed as before the drop.

Looking at all three options next to the pen, two shorties back to back are the same size as a converter. The Edelstein cartridge is slightly shorter but has a broader back end on it, and this is important. The tip of a shortie and the end of the converter are more narrow and that allows them to go a little further into the barrel. The broad end of the Edelstein cartridge rests on the inner barrel at a slightly different spot. The barrel itself tapers to the end to allow for these differences and I have to think this is completely intentional.

attachicon.gifIMG_0754.jpg

One can feel the snug fit of all three of these options when screwing the barrel onto the pen. There is resistance just before the barrel is completely screwed on, indicating they are resting against the back end of the barrel. Here is a Pelikan converter installed:

attachicon.gifIMG_0752.jpg

Personally, I like using two shorties back to back. You're carrying your backup ink supply in the barrel of the pen and it's easy to swap them out when the first is empty.

I don't regret my purchase and I still think this is a very good pen for those who want the cartridge convenience in a Pelikan pen.

Jeff

Great review and follow up Jeff - thanks :thumbup:

I admit making the p205 a cartridge-only FP is a bit odd as they offer a variety of converters too. It's not exactly a pocket pen either so maybe it was created in mind to cut costs? I guess one could re-fill the cartridges later on but still.

Edited by Csrae

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Could this be used as an eyedropper?

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

I admit making the p205 a cartridge-only FP is a bit odd as they offer a variety of converters too. It's not exactly a pocket pen either so maybe it was created in mind to cut costs? I guess one could re-fill the cartridges later on but still.

The P205 works with a converter. In my opinion, the nipple in the section the converter attaches to could be a little longer to give a better connection but once the barrel is put back on the converter is held firmly in place.

Could this be used as an eyedropper?

I have no experience with converting a pen to eyedropper but from what I have read, it's definitely possible. The threads on the section and inside the barrel are plastic. I don't know what other characteristics are needed to qualify it for the conversion.