Fountain Pen As Murder Weapon?

SockAddict

A good place for a lever pen loaded with a coffee laced heavy, heavy with arsenic to squirt in their coffee.

What ink are you using?

"Cafe de ills."

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SockAddict

• Segel

• inkstainedruth

• lurcho

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that this shows a profound lack of understanding of the mindset of a fountain pen user. It would never happen. Not because it is impossible to inflict injury on someone with a fountain pen nib (assuming that the nib didn't bend and/or the feed break first). Anyone who really likes and uses fountain pens would think twice.... as in "What? Risk damaging my nib??? No way! I like that nib!"

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I saw a thread like this a while back and rolled my eyes. A few days ago I went reaching for a pen in my cup 'o pens and stabbed myself with a Noodler's non-flex nib in a nib holder. It drew blood, too. After this experience I think it'd be very easy to puncture someone's jugular. . .

IMG_20141203_151217.jpg

They could just have easily used a pencil or ballpoint or whatever, but I liked that they used a fountain pen. I think it was because it is an "exotic" thing that most Americans do not really understand.

It made me remember an old Avengers episode. The Avengers was a well done and fun British spy show from the 1960s starring Patrick MacNee and Diana Rigg whose characters were called Mr. Steed and Mrs. Peel. There was an episode about an evil scientist who was inventing new electronic things like computers and such which was very futuristic for that time and the moral of the story was whether it was a good idea for "technology" to be advancing so quickly. The evil scientist had created an electronic tracking device that fit inside a fountain pen and he could send his android assassin he invented to track the homing signal of whomever was carrying one of his fountain pens and that person would then be assassinated. By this means he was creating his brave new electronic world, but in the end Steed and Mrs. Peel were able to thwart the evil scientist.

on the other hand, i had this calligraphy nib that i use for copperplate and i was storing up nib-up in a holder, in a mug. i reached over the other side of my table and stabbed myself on the hand with it. O_O that hurt.

Actually the juggler is a very hard 'vein' that has some movement possibilities, so is relatively hard to puncture with a nib or even #6 nib. One has to have world class ping pong playing reflexes to even think about it.

A common, Adam's apple grab or spear hand to the larynx would be more efficient.... a 149 or 1000 would be good for that too. No need to uncap.....and bend a nib. :unsure:

Do plan the place well, isolated for 15 minutes, and real heavy carpeting.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I had a story idea the other day for a cursed/vampiric fountain pen that writes with its victims' blood, so I'm glad to see the groundwork being laid in the minds of the public by our nation's fine television writers. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I don't really need to get my two cents in here, but this has become a challenge. This one thread doesn't work for me.

[EDIT] Wasting some time trying to figure this out. I'm being told that it may be one word that it doesn't like.

[EDIT2] Okay, it may be the name of the movie I was trying to mention. There is a scene where Nicky Santoro (Joe Pesci) repeatedly stabs a rude bar patron with his own fountain pen before beating and kicking him. The characters and events in the movie are "based on" a true story, but I don't know about this one incident.

[EDIT3] Testing the theory again. The word that the forum doesn't like, the title of the movie is...

[EDIT4] Confirmed. Maybe it will take it if I type it this way. "C*A*S*I*N*O".

[EDIT5] Whew. :rolleyes:

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

It has been done in fiction. During the Golden Age of British Detective novels, Dorothy L. Sayers' fictional alter-ego ego, Harriet Vane, was involved in a murder while writing "The Fountain Pen Mystery." Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn investigated a murder that included the use of a fountain pen as murder weapon: poison was drawn into the pen instead of ink, and the murderer lifted the lever filler over his victim's cup. Less violent but no less effective.

I believe there was an episode of "Bones" where a fountain pen was the murder weapon

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

I'm brand new around here...but this is one of the very best discussions I've ever read on any kind of forum. EVER.

Okay, but if you break the nib, send it to Mike. I don't think Ron or Danny want to be involved.

"Murder she wrote" ?

"Nib up. Don't shoot !"

Please don't start this. I will feel guilty in the morning.

Signing off.

Kill with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am reminded of a favorite movie, Grosse Pointe Blank, in which the main character, assassin Martin Blank (played by John Cusack), stabs a rival assassin (played by Benny "The Jet" Urquidez) in the throat with a ballpoint pen given to him by a classmate at the reunion, killing the rival.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I have a feeling that a ballpoint would make for a much more effective weapon. It would be able to withstand the force much better, and one with a fine point is almost as sharp as a fountain pen nib. People just think a fountain pen would work as a weapon because it looks so sharp. also a fountain pen has a bunch of irregular parts such as the feed and where the grip section starts.

They are all mere TOOLS. The mind is the weapon.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

In an episode of Bones (I think in season 8) the victim was stabbed with a fountain pen, and the nib was found in the victim. I remember thinking, "Hey! That's a Parker nib!".

"Oh deer."

I think for the typical stab, the pen would hit a stopping point where the nib meets the section.

So you'd either have to have:

1. Really good aim to hit a vital vessel

2. A really big nib

3. A pen like the Pilot Myu90 where the nib becomes the section

People just think a fountain pen would work as a weapon because it looks so sharp. also a fountain pen has a bunch of irregular parts such as the feed and where the grip section starts.

See, this is my thinking. People who aren't familiar with them think nibs look like little daggers. Of course, I'm still annoyed at people who said I couldn't take my "sharp" knitting needles on a plane after 9/11, but were able to keep their pens and pencils. (Luckily, that restriction didn't last long.)

I think that this shows a profound lack of understanding of the mindset of a fountain pen user. It would never happen. Not because it is impossible to inflict injury on someone with a fountain pen nib (assuming that the nib didn't bend and/or the feed break first). Anyone who really likes and uses fountain pens would think twice.... as in "What? Risk damaging my nib??? No way! I like that nib!"

That was my first thought! ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.