Chat Room On Fpn - Shoutbox - Now Open

wimg

Dearest Friends and Visitors to Our Little Fountain Pen Nut House on the Digital Prairie,

Our new FPN Chat room, the Shoutbox, is now open for those who want to share a quick word with their friends.

All went swimmingly, thanks to good preparation, so we could go ahead a little sooner than expected.

You may find the Shout box here: Shoutbox

Alternatively, look for the tab at the top, in the bar below the header, called Shoutbox, and click that. You'll find it between Blogs and Downloads :).

There also is a link in the Default skin, and a tiny button in the Library skin, at the bottom left of the window, in the Information panel.

Please note that all FPN rules still apply, please treat everyone as you would like to be treated too.

New members will have a waiting period of 7 days.

Enjoy!

Warm regards,

Your FPN Moderator and Admin Team

Edited by RMN

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• dornblaser

• Pault

• bmillicent

Good question - we'll have to ask the developer of this add-on.

Having said so, you could use the full version of the skin to access the chat function, if you so like. Provided you have a reasonable resolution screen, it is possible to do so.

The new board version which will probably be available some time next year, will be scalable for all devices. Provided there will be an update for the chat room, it will then be automatically available for mobile use as well.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Greetings:

I am trying out the Chat Room now. I think that it would nice to have designated chats. For example: once a month, in the evening (I know that is a challenge with a world-wide forum), a Pelikan chat, an Estie chat, an Ink chat, etc. And, you can also bring in special guests to talk to the chat room and then take questions.

- David

Edited by dornblaser

Hi David,

Why not speak with Adrienne, our dedicated Chat Moderator, and work something out?

This Chat idea here on FPN is quite new, even though we have been talking about it internally for many years already, so any good suggestions like yours are always welcome!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Wim,

I will tomorrow. FYI - I ran a large hobby board for many years until family health issues ended it. I have years of chat room ideas and lessons.

Best,

David

When you click on the chatbox link at the top of the page it should open another tab where you can see the chat going on.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 weeks later...

Err, it pops up just fine. But it is a "read only" scenario. When does it become "read/write"?

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

Have read the help files/faqs, to no avail . . .

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

It could be a corrupted cookie that is controlling the permissions. Try logging out of FPN, deleting you FPN cookie, and then logging back in.

I am having the same issue, can only read, i was told 5 day wait, has been 6, are there other posting rules controlling it,

used new browser , no previous cookies, would be nice to know the requirements.

Retired and trying to use FP more to write with

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

AFAIK

The chat becomes available after 5 days membership. But as we are an international site, that may depend on the timezones.

So just to be sure, I would give it a few more days....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Please can someone advise which time zone is used in Shoutbox ?

Any time zone you have set in your settings is the answer. :D

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

You have a problem in knowing the requirements to use shoutbox. i have been registered for 7 days, it is frustrating to be told an answer (5 days ) only it not to be true. So i suggest that someone should contact the person who set up the code to see what is the requirement.

Having run a support organization all my life, I may come across as harsh, but these answers are just not good enough.

Frankly if someone can post on the boards, I see no reason why they can not use shoutbox.

It does appear that the # of days or # of post is the key or both, what is it?

What is the concern?

most forums I have joined that have message areas allow chat once registered.

Sorry, my fault. I seemed to remember it was 5 days, I just checked, it actually is 10 days.

3 more days to go.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Again, refer to my point above, why a 10 day wait , if you can post on the boards, why not use shoutbox.

Probably should be taken into consideration.

Thxs for checking.

Again, refer to my point above, why a 10 day wait , if you can post on the boards, why not use shoutbox.

Probably should be taken into consideration.

Thxs for checking.

Hi Paul,

This is entirely due to the fact that we want to keep spammers at bay. It is much easier to execute spamming activities in the Shoutbox than in a forum. Removing individual spammers is a manual, fairly lengthy exercise, so the time delay to prevent spammers from taking part and real members to start with the Shoutbox is a fine balance, and one, which IMO, is rather in favour of spammers still. Personally, I would prefer only Silver members, i.e., 30+ days of registration, and up, to be able to start using the Shoutbox, but in the end we settled for 10 days, just to provide this feature to Bronze members, i.e., newly registered members, as well.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman