Twsbi 580Al Piston Stuck!

Catnift

Hi! I was just curious if anyone else has ever had this kind of problem. I got my TWSBI 580AL a while ago and have inked it up about four times and thoroughly cleaned twice already. But now, suddenly, the piston mechanism jams. I checked online for solutions, but they all say that it's from the piston seal rubbing against inside of the pen. Well, it jams even if I take everything completely out.

What could it be? I kind of feel a snag in my fingers in the same place when I move it up and down, but it didn't use to do this. It's worse if I apply slight pressure on the rubbery end when moving it up. I cleaned and greased everything and can't really see any uneven places where it could get stuck - all the parts fit into each other perfectly, but won't work when all together.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Catnift

• wastelanded

It omce happened to me on my mini because I havent used the pen for a long time so the mechanism "seized" but after a clean up and a tear down I greased every nook and cranny of the pen memaning the seal the barrel and the screw has been greased up and then I manipulated the mechanism a few more times then greased it some more until everything was smooth

Well, I greased everything again and now the mechanism is stuck in the pen and I'm a bit scared to force it. I can still fill it with syringe, since it's stuck in the fully upward position, but this is enough for me to pretty much avoid TWSBI in the future. Pity, because I really like how it looks :(

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry - my bark is worse than my bite. Here I am, waiting for my brand new ORANGE TWSBI 580AL :).

Anyway, if someone should encounter the same problem: IT WAS NOT THE SEAL. The problem ended up being a result of me cleaning it, because TWSBI actually writes on its webpage to not clean the back mechanism, since it uses some sort of special lubricant. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE CLEAN THE WHITE GOO OFF THE MECHANISM! I'm certain it can be replaced to some degree, but for the life of me I don't know with what.

I ended up tearing the thing open with pliers and by that time the grooves had been deformed and the pen isn't usable anymore the way it was intended. I can still fill it with a syringe and risk never taking it apart again, but I decided to try a new nib size and I really like the orange colour. So now I basically got a spare on everything for my new TWSBI and life goes on :)

Don't worry - my bark is worse than my bite. Here I am, waiting for my brand new ORANGE TWSBI 580AL :).

Anyway, if someone should encounter the same problem: IT WAS NOT THE SEAL. The problem ended up being a result of me cleaning it, because TWSBI actually writes on its webpage to not clean the back mechanism, since it uses some sort of special lubricant. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE CLEAN THE WHITE GOO OFF THE MECHANISM! I'm certain it can be replaced to some degree, but for the life of me I don't know with what.

I ended up tearing the thing open with pliers and by that time the grooves had been deformed and the pen isn't usable anymore the way it was intended. I can still fill it with a syringe and risk never taking it apart again, but I decided to try a new nib size and I really like the orange colour. So now I basically got a spare on everything for my new TWSBI and life goes on :)

well you can always email twsbi for a replacement piston rod

The white goo is most likely lithium grease, which works well with aluminum.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809