Conway Stewart Back On Track ?

MANUPENS

Conway Stewart back on track ?

Almost everyone interested in writing instruments has heard the sad news that on August 28,2014, Conway Stewart went into “administration” as they call it in the OK (Receivership in the USA). The previous re-organizations of Conway Stewart were survival attempts to give the company a new start. This time the company is being liquidated. This time, all assets of the company were/are being sold off. Don Yendle and the successor owners of the brand, deserves a lot of credit for their efforts over the last 20 years in reviving a brand that was dormant for the time between the seventies and 1994.

The reasons for Conway Stewart’s failure are not uncommon in today’s economic climate. Ultimately, the lack of adequate capital to support and survive the ups and downs of sales volume at adequate margins were the cause of Conway Stewart’s demise. The real pity is that Conway Stewart never suffered from a lack of creativity, workmanship and product quality. And excellent customer service and distribution activities led by Mary Burke in North America, was a big plus too. If making beautiful objects were all it took, the company would be alive and well today. Ultimately their business model was not viable in today’s marketplace. A paradigm shift in manufacturing and distribution was and is required.

New Developments: I have acquired the rights to the trade name Conway Stewart brand for the USA. I intend to carry on the operation of the Conway Stewart brand beginning with 2015 production. The new Conway Stewart business plan will be a departure from the now overcrowded exaggerated-price, costly advertising, and limited edition model. There will be much more information coming in the near future about this.

For now, wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2015!

Emmanuel Caltagirone called "Manu"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dneal

• Renfield

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Matlock

Almost everyone interested in writing instruments has heard the sad news that on August 28,2014, Conway Stewart went into “administration” as they call it in the OK (Receivership in the USA). The previous re-organizations of Conway Stewart were survival attempts to give the company a new start. This time the company is being liquidated. This time, all assets of the company were/are being sold off. Don Yendle and the successor owners of the brand, deserves a lot of credit for their efforts over the last 20 years in reviving a brand that was dormant for the time between the seventies and 1994.
The reasons for Conway Stewart’s failure are not uncommon in today’s economic climate. Ultimately, the lack of adequate capital to support and survive the ups and downs of sales volume at adequate margins were the cause of Conway Stewart’s demise. The real pity is that Conway Stewart never suffered from a lack of creativity, workmanship and product quality. And excellent customer service and distribution activities led by Mary Burke in North America, was a big plus too. If making beautiful objects were all it took, the company would be alive and well today. Ultimately their business model was not viable in today’s marketplace. A paradigm shift in manufacturing and distribution was and is required.
New Developments: I have acquired the rights to the trade name Conway Stewart brand for the USA. I intend to carry on the operation of the Conway Stewart brand beginning with 2015 production. The new Conway Stewart business plan will be a departure from the now overcrowded exaggerated-price, costly advertising, and limited edition model. There will be much more information coming in the near future about this.

Conway Stewart was my second favorite pen in the world, even better than the famed Montblanc.

I am glad to hear the name will continue....

but, and this is a big but, I hope the pens will continue to be made in the UK and hopefully there will not be any reduction in quality and presentation.

I hope there will still continue to be some limited editions and Hallmarked Sterling Silver pens are a must!

I always thought that Conway Stewart was too attached to the "High End" market. Not there is anything wrong with High end pens, but you need to have cheaper pens as well, that will sell in higher numbers, to help balance out the books.

I have a few vintage Conway Stewart pens like the 25 and 106, both great writers and would have been designed for the lower end market,

Not that my advice is worth much, but look to the vintage pens, and produce new models. Keep them simple, gold nib, and price low (while still profitable) and they will sell like hotcakes.

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

You made some great points Ren, after all when most company were putting out pens in the 30s and 40s there really wasn't a high end market. I do not know that for a fact, I am not that old. Most names like Onoto, Conway, and others closed up in the past and have been revived as luxury pen company's. I bet it safe to say that Montblanc was not putting jewel encrusted pens out for sale back in 1930.

So make some mass produced pens at a cheap price to pay the bills but still make the high end luxury pens some of us love. Just better do a good job of making them look good and have good presentation.

I look forward to checking out what they will offer next year.

basically something like Pilot's business model cater to the cheaper market and also cater to the high end market it's rare you find business models like them but I don't know Pilot like Sailor have a lot of markets catered to but i's good if there are companies out there that can cater not just to the very high end niche market because I do think MB still does some low end pens but arent marketed as MB (I mean they once manufactured pens for papermate if thats some interesting facts) just to stay afloat though that begs the question how do companies like Onoto, Omas, Visconti stay afloat...

Edited by Algester

I posted it quite a while ago on a different forum; the following is an abbreviated version, but I would think something along the lines of this would be feasible:

A 3 tier offering focusing on utility, tradition, and craftsmanship.

Tier 1 is the Duro. An historic name that implies durability and focuses on being a utilitarian object (with some Conway Stewart style). Converter only in a moderate range of standard colors with perhaps an annual "special" color. Steel nib in standard sizes. No hallmarks or precious metals. Black end-caps and sections. Target price range is around $150.

Tier 2 is the 58 (perhaps adding the 100). The focus is on "tradition", and pays homage to the company while preventing the confusion / ill feelings a previous iteration garnered because of some confusion about company history... This pen gets a 14K nib in standard sizes. Converter is standard and perhaps explore a lever filler (with a revised design). Again, a standard range of colors and a special annual color. Target price range around $300.

Tier 3 is the Churchill (and/or 100?). Here's where "craftsmanship" comes in. 18k nibs with expanded offerings (contract with or employ a nibmeister). Converter and lever filler options. Use precious metals in the cap bands and whatnot, offer overlays and the traditional unique CS plastics. Perhaps expand to bespoke pens, with occasional "limited" offerings using special colors or materials.

I posted it quite a while ago on a different forum; the following is an abbreviated version, but I would think something along the lines of this would be feasible:

Tier 1 is the Duro. An historic name that implies durability and focuses on being a utilitarian object (with some Conway Stewart style). Converter only in a moderate range of standard colors with perhaps an annual "special" color. Steel nib in standard sizes. No hallmarks or precious metals. Black end-caps and sections. Target price range is around $150.

Tier 2 is the 58 (perhaps adding the 100). The focus is on "tradition", and pays homage to the company while preventing the confusion / ill feelings a previous iteration garnered because of some confusion about company history... This pen gets a 14K nib in standard sizes. Converter is standard and perhaps explore a lever filler (with a revised design). Again, a standard range of colors and a special annual color. Target price range around $300.

Tier 3 is the Churchill (and/or 100?). Here's where "craftsmanship" comes in. 18k nibs with expanded offerings (contract with or employ a nibmeister). Converter and lever filler options. Use precious metals in the cap bands and whatnot, offer overlays and the traditional unique CS plastics. Perhaps expand to bespoke pens, with occasional "limited" offerings using special colors or materials.

I like this plan. I hope they implement something like it.

I hope that CS comes back in a good way. I have a Churchill lever filler and while it's not the perfect pen, it is one of my favorites. I sometimes wish I had purchased a second before they went under.

That sounds really good - an affordable duro with options of an 18k nib would be good too :)

I am glad to know that the brand name and rights to production for the future of Conway Stewart pens has been finalized.

I look forward to the new production of the 58. If it is reasonably priced and of superior quality (nib, parts, and materials), I will definitely become a buyer. Maybe an interesting method of fill (based on older UK patents) for these pens might be of interest to the user/collector, instead of the usual cartridge convertor?

Best Wishes & Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

FWIW, I would initially focus on having the Churchill/100 as the standard-bearer for the CS "tradition". Starting with only 2 lines would simplify both your production & distribution strategies and give the market & consumer a very clear choice. Once you've established traction in the marketplace, you can introduce a mid-tier pen since you'll have some brand recognition at this point.

Another suggestion might be to use your mid-tier pen line for an annual "FPN LE edition" similar to what Stipula and Edison do. This would spark interest and sales among your core users for very little additional outlay.

Hope this helps! I look forward to seeing a new & better CS emerge Pheonix-like from the ashes of the old company!

vous etes un hero You are a hero :) :) :)

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

A Cs has always beone of my dream pens... Still saving for it and then it went into administration....

please keep me informed athttp://pierreliterair@gmail.com

Merci thanks

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I agree with the model, but think your prices are off a bit.

I would see the Tier one being no more than about £50/$75. Somewhere in the realm of a TWSBI or a decent "entry level" pen. Something someone is going to not save too hard for, but mke sure it is workhorse pen. Reliable, good nib and the pen you reach for. Converter or Aero filler.

I personally would make it an aero filler, just my preference, think old school filler. Why not a lever filler? Go retro.

Having it at $150 is, in my opinion too much.

I think the $150-200 range is better for Tier 2. For that you expect a gold nib (14k), maybe a piston filler. Don't go for anything fancy, go for class, good function and good writing experience.

If you look at the likes of Lamy, their top tier pen is the Lamy 2000 which can be had around £120/$160.

the amount of people willing to spend £300+ on a pen are few and far between, So $300+ is best reserved for Top Tier only.

Just my opinion of course.....

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

My view: keep the Churchill, as c/c or lever filler, the 100 as c/c filler only, and the Winston, as twist filler only. Make the pens fully bespoke in colours etc, at REASONABLE prices.

Ditch the expensive 18k nibs (except for limited editions), use 14k gold instead. Keep 18k nibs for limited editions only. Ditch ALL the other models.

Make one or two absolutely stunning, heavy solid silver and vermeil limited edition models - in large numbers (1000+) to keep prices REASONABLE.

Edited by Tancred

I agree with the model, but think your prices are off a bit.

I would see the Tier one being no more than about £50/$75. Somewhere in the realm of a TWSBI or a decent "entry level" pen. Something someone is going to not save too hard for, but mke sure it is workhorse pen. Reliable, good nib and the pen you reach for. Converter or Aero filler.

I personally would make it an aero filler, just my preference, think old school filler. Why not a lever filler? Go retro.

Having it at $150 is, in my opinion too much.

I think the $150-200 range is better for Tier 2. For that you expect a gold nib (14k), maybe a piston filler. Don't go for anything fancy, go for class, good function and good writing experience.

If you look at the likes of Lamy, their top tier pen is the Lamy 2000 which can be had around £120/$160.

the amount of people willing to spend £300+ on a pen are few and far between, So $300+ is best reserved for Top Tier only.

Just my opinion of course.....

Ren

If you turn Conway Stewart into a cheapo pen company it will FAIL!! To get noticed you have to produce top quality. Making dirt cheap pens with steel nibs is not the way ahead - the school pen market is saturated. You will never compete with the big brands.

Lots of people spend over £300 on a pen, me included. Lamy is the Ikea of pens - not for me or most lovers of elegant pens.

In my opinion, there are three models that MUST be retained: the Churchill, the Winston and the 100. These are the soul of the brand - ditch them and you'll kill the brand forever.

Edited by Tancred

If you turn Conway Stewart into a cheapo pen company it will FAIL!! To get noticed you have to produce top quality. Making dirt cheap pens with steel nibs is not the way ahead - the school pen market is saturated. You will never compete with the big brands.

Lots of people spend over £300 on a pen, me included. Lamy is the Ikea of pens - not for me or most lovers of elegant pens.

In my opinion, there are three models that MUST be retained: the Churchill, the Winston and the 100. These are the soul of the brand - ditch them and you'll kill the brand forever.

I am not advocating turning it into a cheapo pen company. I don't see how having an entry pen around the £50 mark brands it a cheapo company.

And I am not saying not to have expensive pens, but not to have ONLY expensive pens.

Conway Stewart's failed model of only having expensive pens, and releasing limited editions of even more expensive pens simply does not work for anyone, perhaps with the exception of Montblanc.

And Lamy may be considered by you to be the "Ikea" of pen makers.......but there are not many pen people out there that does not own a safari/AL-Star.....and a lot consider the Lamy 2000 to be one of their top pens.

I own 1 "modern" Conway Stewart, a Limited Edition Trafalgar(A gift, I wouldn't/couldn't buy it for myself), and while it is nice to look at, and nice to write with, the Lamy 2000 runs rings around it on performance

Ren

ultimately, the gist of the posts here include subtle to impassioned hopes that The newly manufactured "Conway Stewart" Successfully captures and even improves on a respected name in writing instrument history.

if a business is discerning in their business model, they will include what their market needs, wants, desires, can afford, and will be compelled to attain to. The result will be, besides handsome, notably reliable, including "stellar" customer service. And, customers who laud their experience(s), fanning out - drawing others to the business.

We wish you success, and we Want to wish to be glad for your continuing success.

Some of your target market is "here", and expressing themselves.

Other successful modern companies have invested in surveying the territory on forums, (inc FPN).

BTW, I know there never be an impractical small colorful ringtop dinkie for me, but it is this charming pen of the past that causes me to wish C.S. well, and hope some of that old charming character in at least one basic larger model will be found in your reliable new models.

Best regards,

p2p

p2p ... I just typed you a LONG-overdue reply to your last PM, but it appears you post-box is full :(

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)