My Parker 45 Ct (Grey,14K F) For $6

KBeezie

Another eBay purchase, also the first time I utilized the "make an offer" option on a listing. It was shown as $13.99 (inc shipping), but I didn't want to spend over $10, so I made an offer an offer for $6. It was accepted the next morning.

A Parker 45 CT in Dark Grey with a 14K Fine Nib, with an inverted cap top (like a dome inverted downward). Inverted on the bottom of the barrel as well with a little hole drilled thru the bottom. Not sure of the date, I'm assuming early 1960s since it doesn't say "45" on the cap.

Though if anyone can help me date the pen that would be greatly appreciated, I had some information from the bottom of this thread.

It came pretty much just thrown into a thin bubble mailer. Was quite a bit inky with an old used cartridge (I already have a cleaned out parker cartridge which I used). Even after rinsing out all the components, even the section was spewing trapped ink in the ultrasonic (I cleaned each part individually), so about 2 changing and rinsing of the section in the USC it was good to go. Also had to rinse out the cap and put that in the USC as well (on lower power, not sure if the chrome is plated or what but didn't want to risk any chipping/flaking)

I also decided to polish up the barrel and section to give it that nice shine again as well as give it a little better feeling to the hand. I think it turned out rather well.

Inked it up with Parker Penman Sapphire, the nib is nice and wet, not too wet, and has a tiny bit of spring to the nib. So far I kind of like it better than my Parker 51 Vacumatic.

How it arrived

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/packaging.jpg

The Rinsing and Cleaning underway - Shot of the Section getting a USC bath after being rinsed for a while

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/section_bath.jpg

All cleaned and disassembled

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/disassembled.jpg

After getting it polished and re-assembled

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/uncapped.jpg

And inked up with Parker Penman Sapphire

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45_darkgray/write.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Matlock

• mitto

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Great price, should be a good pen for you.

As far as I know there is not a good way to date basic color 45's, except the dome on the last few years. The flighters, Harlequins, and coronets can be narrowed into time periods, but generally still not to a specific year.

Whenever its from, enjoy the pen.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I don't think you can get much closer than the early to middle 60's.

Heck of a deal for $6.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Very nice, Karl. Looks like it cleaned up nicely as well.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I don't think you can get much closer than the early to middle 60's.

Yea I'm thinking the same thing, they came out in 1960 correct?

Heck of a deal for $6.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I wasn't expecting the offer to be accepted, but guess just goes to show, might as well try. Wasn't sure what nib I'd end up getting, and not sure what nib materials were available. The 14K seems to be nice.

I did record this briefly since someone on one of the facebook group didn't know what the "strainer" was.

This is the section shortly after I had soaked and rinsed it a couple times, and then used the USC to break down the rest of the dried ink.

Odd thing is, I can't hear the ultrasonic vibrating in person, but in the video (while wearing headphones) I can.

I wish I remembered to get a shot of the nib before cleaning, it was pretty much caked black in a sort of tarnishing, which just smoked away in the USC.

Edited by KBeezie

Yes grey was one of the original colours and everything points to early 60s. What was the country of manufacture, I presume it was USA? But could have been UK or France. Pleased to see you use Penman Saphire, great ink in spite of the scare stories.

Peter

Yes grey was one of the original colours and everything points to early 60s. What was the country of manufacture, I presume it was USA? But could have been UK or France. Pleased to see you use Penman Saphire, great ink in spite of the scare stories.

Made in USA on both Nib and Cap.

Yea though Sapphire should be fine if I'm not leaving it in the pen for a month. Though I'll probably change the ink in about a week anyways once I get an idea of how wet or dry sapphire runs after a few days. (it's got a nice look to it, but Diamine Majestic Blue could probably substitute).

I also have a vial of Penman Ruby.

I don't mind using either in a pen where I can disassemble the nib/feed, but I wouldn't likely put it into say a vacumatic or a snorkel, but rather just to a cartridge syringe filled. (it's the same way I feel about Noodler's Liberty's Elysium or R&K Salix).

Edited by KBeezie

Yea though Sapphire should be fine if I'm not leaving it in the pen for a month. Though I'll probably change the ink in about a week anyways once I get an idea of how wet or dry sapphire runs after a few days. (it's got a nice look to it, but Diamine Majestic Blue could probably substitute).

I also have a vial of Penman Ruby.

I don't mind using either in a pen where I can disassemble the nib/feed, but I wouldn't likely put it into say a vacumatic or a snorkel, but rather just to a cartridge syringe filled. (it's the same way I feel about Noodler's Liberty's Elysium or R&K Salix).

Yes I agree with your thoughts on Diamine Majestic Blue. I have used Penman inks for years, mostly in my 75, with no trouble but I never leave a pen loaded with ink for very long. As Noodler's is not easily available in UK I have only a limited experience with it.

Peter

Yes I agree with your thoughts on Diamine Majestic Blue. I have used Penman inks for years, mostly in my 75, with no trouble but I never leave a pen loaded with ink for very long. As Noodler's is not easily available in UK I have only a limited experience with it.

Noodler's makes a very large variety of different inks (ie: different properties), so kind of hard to specify/explain Noodler's in general without talking bout specific inks. Most of the inks I have generally work pretty well (Blue Steel, Apache Sunset, and Black eel hasn't given me any drying up or clogging problems), there are some that only works best in certain pens, like noodler's Liberty's Elysium, or Live Oak, which seems to work best in pens I have without an exposed feed (ie: Pilot Elite) or a good sealing cap (Monteverde Invincia Deluxe or Platinum Century 3776). I haven't touched the Noodler's known for being extremely dry such as Kung Te-Cheng.

There's this list of ink properties for Noodler's but doesn't cover exclusives (ie: it shows goulet's exclusive, but not others like Pecan, Blue Steel or Live Oak which are Dromgoole exclusives).

http://noodlersink.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/103012_noodlers-ink-properties.pdf

Edited by KBeezie

Thanks for the info. Purepens is the only supplier of Noodler's in the UK and as they only deal online it is a little difficult to compare etc. I have tried Luxury Blue which seems ok but that is hardly a subjective test. Enjoy your 45, I use mine a great deal.

Peter

Didnt know about grey being original color of early 60s P 45. Learning new things every day. I have these two grey n greenihs grey colors 45s. The caps dont have "45" on them. Both USA made.

Khan M. Ilyas

Look, I'll give you $7 and we'll both be happy - okay?

B)

Seriously, congrats on the theft. Love my 45s.

Jack

What he said! What a deal on a great pen.

I find Parker 45's to be good buys, for the most part.. In the described condition, it was unusable. So, you scored a good price.

The neglect and "abuse" heaped on a Parker 45 would ruin most pens. It speaks well, for the old design, that it can be brought

back from the grave. It speak well for you, that you recognized the pen's resilience. Well done !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I find Parker 45's to be good buys, for the most part.. In the described condition, it was unusable. So, you scored a good price.

The neglect and "abuse" heaped on a Parker 45 would ruin most pens. It speaks well, for the old design, that it can be brought

back from the grave. It speak well for you, that you recognized the pen's resilience. Well done !

Agreed. If a pen can stay in production for 48 years Parker must have got something right. Pity it is no longer made.

Peter

Didnt know about grey being original color of early 60s P 45. Learning new things every day. I have these two grey n greenihs grey colors 45s. The caps dont have "45" on them. Both USA made.

They're same as mine then, between 1960-1965-ish and since both are chrome trim, it's just 45 CT (as opposed to GT). Your grey appears to be light grey (as opposed to my dark grey) and the other one is Olive color (one I hope to find one day as it's a nice color). Matador Red and Orange would be cool, but I'm guessing they're rare.

A nice looking nineteen sixties upbeat style. Six dollars, but a theft? No, but these pens aren't for everybody. I paid forward the CT Flighter I bought. I like the look of the ones with plastic barrels better. They look more nineteen sixties. I keep a couple of black ones for the looks and the sixties pizazz. The avocado ones are more sixties, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They're same as mine then, between 1960-1965-ish and since both are chrome trim, it's just 45 CT (as opposed to GT). Your grey appears to be light grey (as opposed to my dark grey) and the other one is Olive color (one I hope to find one day as it's a nice color). Matador Red and Orange would be cool, but I'm guessing they're rare.

Isn't this one exactly like yours except for the color? I was just loooking at my P 45 treasure , rinsing them , and found it to be same as yours. I mean the clip screw design. Oh , but mine is a GT . Isn't it? Just wanted to share .Here : Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas